Jia Tong Heng Restaurant

THAIPHUKET

I'm yawning for good a Peking Duck. The Jia Tong Heng Restaurant got the most and the best reviews. But this may be more a function of the bus loads of tourists. The duck skin is ok but the meat seems to get stretched with other ingredients. Anyhow, what are the best times to have a

Peking Duck.?

What are your preferred places for Chinese Meals quality wise  and perhaps also a bit more cozy?

Jian Tong in the Nimman1 Mall had a nice duck at a decent price, but it did not have the super-crispy skin that I expect with the dish.

Hong Kong Lucy Restaurant on the top floor of the Maya Mall gets closer and has the other specialty Chinese hanging meats at a good price. Not particularly cozy, tho.

Haven't been yet, but Yangzi Jiang in Nimman is a pretty place that my Taiwanese neighbors like.

If I have Peking Duck, it's so rich that I don't want it again for a very long time.

I had a $150 Peking duck in NYC where the duck was crisped table-side with a flame gun. Best ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately the best place I knew for Peking Duck has closed (unless anyone knows of a new location for it)

It used to be The Fujian Restaurant at Dhara Dhevi and then moved to Gad Falang under a new name and unfortunately has since closed

You had to pre-order the duck as Farang style but then they would know to serve the duck at the table and slice the skin up and carve the meat to be rolled into pancakes 

Sadly every other Chinese restaurant we’ve tried just serves the skin at the table and the meat is then prepped into another dish served separately even after phoning before hand and explaining how we want the duck served - it makes me think that the skin and meat are supplied / prepared separately 

Edited by narkeddiver

"Farang-style"

Further reading about Peking duck tells me that the super-crispy skin-style with pancakes is known in China as American Peking duck.

Come to think of it, my four orderings of Peking duck in Thailand have all had the same oily, rich (but never crispy) skin.

I'll bet you could get it in an upscale hotel Chinese restaurant with an international clientele.

I tried at The China Grande in Bangkok, which was widely touted as the best in town and it was the same ol' same ol' (good value tho). Because the main clientele at the China Grand is Chinese people. I was very excited to stay at mid-level Chinese Hotel with a lot Chinese food options.

But they weren't to my liking -which mean my New York City-version of Chinese food-liking. I've met a lot of Chinese people who prefer American Chinese food to their own.

Spoiled by Manhattan, I have mostly given up on Chinese food here. It's like English people being picky about Indian food.They too come from a place where the fake version is better than the real food.

As usual, it's not them failing, it's us having the wrong expectations.

Edited by Prubangboy