At least 16 feared dead in mass shootings in US city of Lewiston, Maine

Social Media

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I would think those w/neighborhood watch groups do have less crime.  Though as shown, you are not going to stop nutters ... ever.

So I don't know what your silly comment was for ... oh yea, to elicit a response.   Was that good enough, tissues at the ready.  You already should know I'm pro firearms.

Any conversation about guns and or gun laws have been done to death.  Have a nice day.

R I P

You already should know I'm pro firearms

Do you think civilians should be allowed to own assault rifles like an AR15? Because I think it’s completely nuts that millions of people in the US apparently (most of them legally) own some kind of assault rifle like that.

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I hope people aren't going to come here and start saying guns are a problem......we all know more guns are the solution.....any idiot knows that.

As a percentage, fewer households in the US own guns than they did in 1990. 

I grew in southern California and most of the kids I knew had guns in the house and many had their own guns. I had a single-barrel shotgun and a bolt-action .22 repeater. 

The high school I went to had a rife team, and used one of the hallways as a range, with sand-bags piled up at the target end. 

Yeah, it's got to be the guns. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Do you think civilians should be allowed to own assault rifles like an AR15? Because I think it’s completely nuts that millions of people in the US apparently (most of them legally) own some kind of assault rifle like that.

And I think it's completely nuts that there are people like you that buy into that cr*p. 

Yet the vast majority of gun deaths in the US are handgun related. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I grew in southern California and most of the kids I knew had guns in the house and many had their own guns. I had a single-barrel shotgun and a bolt-action .22 repeater. 

The high school I went to had a rife team, and used one of the hallways as a range, with sand-bags piled up at the target end. 

Yeah, it's got to be the guns. 

Then explain to us simple souls how it's possible that there have been over 500 mass shootings in the US this year alone, while there are hardly any in other countries (with much stricter gun laws).

Like you side: yeah, it’s got to be the guns. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I hope people aren't going to come here and start saying guns are a problem......we all know more guns are the solution.....any idiot knows that.

Followed by now is not the time to discuss gun shooting let us pray

4 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

Followed by now is not the time to discuss gun shooting let us pray

Followed by “we’re not going to fix this”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/28/tim-burchett-republican-nashville-shooting

There is a pretty substantial majority in the US who are in favor of (much) stricter gun laws, but these gutless cowards are not going to do anything because they’re in the NRA’s pockets and/or they’re afraid to antagonize part of their gun-nut base and lose votes. Despicable.

44 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Almost impossible to own an assault weapon in the USA, or affordable for most folks.  AR15 (not an assault weapon/rifle) is no more dangerous than any other semi auto center fire rifle.

That you don't know that, or what an assault weapon'/rifle is, screams ignorance.  Educate yourself first, then come back to the conversation.

Please see many of the old threads on firearms, as all been discussed before.  Along with most of my thoughts & opinions.  I'm not going to repeat myself.

If you are a Yank, and live in the USA, you have choices,   If not, why do you care?  To answer your implied query, yes, I think anyone legally able to own a firearm, should be allowed to defend themselves, if that is their choice.

If you walked out of a vendor, and saw said shooter in OP, coming toward you, would you prefer to have a firearm or not?  I know my choice.  UP2U

Nobody has been killed with an production assault weapon since 1930s, maybe 1947, I think.   If memory serves

Have a nice day.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

A fact you cannot dispute, so you ask:

Then explain to us simple souls how it's possible that there have been over 500 mass shootings in the US this year alone, while there are hardly any in other countries (with much stricter gun laws).

Rather than even wondering whether it might be something else. 

Like you side: yeah, it’s got to be the guns. 

Indeed. More single step thinking from the left. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Followed by “we’re not going to fix this”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/28/tim-burchett-republican-nashville-shooting

There is a pretty substantial majority in the US who are in favor of (much) stricter gun laws, but these gutless cowards are not going to do anything because they’re in the NRA’s pockets and/or they’re afraid to antagonize part of their gun-nut base and lose votes. Despicable.

Of course you have nothing at all to support any of your idiocy. 

Total NRA revenue is about $400 million a year. That's less than what Mark Zuckerberg donated to help elect Joe Biden. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

In Australia, a country with sensible gun laws, there were no mass shootings in 2023 whereas US had over 500.

U.S. tops 500 mass shootings in 2023 (axios.com)

Let's not confuse mass shootings, with mass shooting 'deaths'.  In 2022, deaths from, were <60 and considering 370M population.  Chance of you dying in a mass shooting ... nuff said

image.png.b06833cf085f16d7380a1cea94f0a5de.png

source wiki

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

And I think it's completely nuts that there are people like you that buy into that cr*p. 

Yet the vast majority of gun deaths in the US are handgun related. 

There are 20 million (or more) AR15’s in circulation in the USA. In the majority of mass shootings, the AR15 is the gun that is used.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-20-million-ar-15-style-rifles-in-circulation-2022-5?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Still think I’m talking cr*p?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Of course you have nothing at all to support any of your idiocy. 

Total NRA revenue is about $400 million a year. That's less than what Mark Zuckerberg donated to help elect Joe Biden. 

Okay, then you tell me why lawmakers are blind to what the (vast) majority of the American people want: stricter gun laws.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Okay, then you tell me why lawmakers are blind to what the (vast) majority of the American people want: stricter gun laws.

Do they ?

Apparently not, or there would be.

Neither does either political party, dems or reps, since both controlled Congress & the presidency in recent times, and nothing changed.  So you can't say either party wants to change, or they could have easily, or at least tried to, and neither did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, parallelman said:

I am not going to comment on gun laws etc. because I'm not American. 22 lives lost and many injured is so very sad. I cannot understand what makes an individual decide to massacre people going about their daily routine. My sympathy to the families. 

In many cases a military background. 

It is very disheartening. Nothing is being done about the killings. The dems are cowed by the progressives, and the Republicans lack any sort of moral compass, and are owned by the NRA, and the orange one, and are stuck in an 18th century mindset. We deserve our guns! We need our guns! You can't take away our guns! Nothing wrong with having a few guns in the house. But, there is something very, very wrong, when an insane 18 year old can easily buy assault rifles and 350 rounds of ammunition and walk right into a school and take out more people than have been mass murdered in many nations combined for decades, in one day. And there is something infinitely more wrong with America when nobody has to guts to do anything about it. 

The US is a very sick, demented, twisted, confused, and morally bankrupt culture. It is a nation in rapid decline. It is not even a pale shadow of what it used to be. I am infinitely disappointed in my country. They could do so much better. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Please see many of the old threads on firearms, as all been discussed before.  Along with most of my thoughts & opinions.  I'm not going to repeat myself.

Exactly, many threads but nothing changes. That's the issue 

11 hours ago, UWEB said:
12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Guns are the problem, only an idiot does not understand this.

....  the complete miss-read highlighted by this response......      some folks are impossibly literal... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Most people are murdered with handguns, not rifles.  Few people are killed in mass shootings, <60 in 2022, see graph above.  About 1 a week, in a nation of 370M people.

About the same number of people that die on Thai roads, in 2 or even 1 day at times.

29,000+ people died falling in their home in 2021.  Much more dangerous to be home apparently.

Nice headliner, but try putting it in perspective.

Good try but you could not possibly be more off base on this one we disagree from time to time but this one is adamant it's been over 500 mass shootings in the US so far this year. I'm not making this stuff up. 

There have now been 501 mass shootings in the U.S. this year.

Driving the news: A shooting that wounded four people in Denver, Colorado, on Saturday night marked the country's 500th mass shooting in 2023, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

Hours later, that increased to 501 mass shootings after one person died and five others were wounded in El Paso, Texas, early Sunday.

By the numbers: Just five years ago, the country had never experienced 500 mass shootings in one year:

2018: 335 mass shootings

2019: 414 mass shootings

2020: 610 mass shootings

2021: 689 mass shootings

2022: 645 mass shootings

Flashback: The 500 mass shootings threshold was crossed in September in the past two years, according to the archive. 

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/17/mass-shootings-500-united-states-2023

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

The guy has mental health issues and threatened to commit a mas shooting on a military base before and yet he worked as a shooting instructor and is running around freely! How the hell does that make sense? 

Ask these liberal SAPS in governments where some whackos civil rights are more important than pubic safety 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Exactly the other way round there mate.

Have no idea what this one liner nonsense is about. Let me elaborate on my post: This whacko like alot of others who go one these shootings was known to law enforcement and even advertised his intent. So his residence should have been raided and guns seized. For starters.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Most people are murdered with handguns, not rifles.  Few people are killed in mass shootings, <60 in 2022, see graph above.  About 1 a week, in a nation of 370M people.

About the same number of people that die on Thai roads, in 2 or even 1 day at times.

29,000+ people died falling in their home in 2021.  Much more dangerous to be home apparently.

Nice headliner, but try putting it in perspective.

You cannot beat the old "not as bad as Hitler" argument......555

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1