Wanted New Zealander Arrested in Phuket After 15 Year Absence, Had Drug Charges from Pattaya

webfact

12 hours ago, Homburg said:

I expect that a brown envelope was utilised at the time.

Normally in those situations the identities and evidence are altered or lost. The guy probably figured that if no attempt to arrest him overseas had occurred that he was safe. 

13 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Who knows how Thai law works.  

I do know that in US federal laws, if you pull a runner after posting bail, there is no Statute of Limitations.  You could be found 20-years later and still be tried for that crime.

If this applied in Thailand, than the charges against the Red Bull killer would not have been dismissed due to the application of the statute of limitations.

4 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Normally, skipping bail freezes the clock. 

They may have altered the law in the last 5 years or so (in fact I'm pretty sure they did) - but that should apply to new offences from the day the law changed.

There most definitely is a statute of limitations - it all depends on exactly what the original charge was as to how long it was and if you maage to do a runner it 100% did work in your favour if you evaded capture for long enough.

15 years is one of the limits and it is, coincidentally how long this guy waited, however doing this would almost certainly leave a foreigner as a 'persona non grata'

Like nearly all other cases which are reported on once they disappear inside the court system we're unlikely to ever hear about it again unless he gets released and deported due to immigration really getting it wrong.

On 10/26/2023 at 9:21 PM, ukrules said:

Isn't there some kind of statute of limitations here?

I think they only apply to very rich heir’s and  the occasional high ranking political candidates.

contrary to popular belief the RTP are not part of this exclusive group, although they have been known to think differently, and therefore have had to suffer the consequences 

• 2 weeks later...