Russia executing own retreating soldiers, US says

Social Media

image.png

Russia is executing soldiers who try to retreat from a bloody offensive in eastern Ukraine, the White House has said.

According to the US, some of the casualties suffered by Russia near Avdiivka were "on the orders of their own leaders".

Russian and Ukrainian troops have been locked into a fierce battle for the frontline town since mid-October.

Russia is thought to have suffered "significant" losses in this time.

Ukrainian estimates put the number of Russian casualties in Avdiivka at 5,000, while the US says that Russia lost "at least" 125 armoured vehicles and more than a battalion's worth of equipment.

A Ukrainian army spokesperson said that Russian troops were refusing to attack Ukrainian positions near Avdiivka because of heavy losses and that there had been mutinies in some units.

"Russia's mobilised forces remain under-trained, under-equipped and unprepared for combat, as was the case during their failed winter offensive last year," National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said in a briefing on Thursday.

He said that the Russian military "appears to be using what we would call 'human wave' tactics, just throwing masses of these poorly trained soldiers right into the fight."

"No proper equipment, no leadership, no resourcing, no support. It is unsurprising that Russian forces are suffering from poor morale," Mr Kirby added.

Taking Avdiivka - which lies near the Russian-occupied city of Donetsk - would allow Russian troops to push the front line back, making it harder for the Ukrainian forces to make further advances into Donetsk region.

Avdiivka has been all but abandoned by its 30,000 residents as Russian forces continue to pummel it. Earlier this week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described the situation as "particularly tough".

On Thursday, the US announced a new $150m (£123.7m) military assistance package for Ukraine that includes artillery and small-arms ammunition, as well as anti-tank weapons.

However, future aid to Ukraine is in doubt following the election of Republican Mike Johnson as speaker of the US House of Representatives earlier this week.

Mr Johnson - who is on the right wing of the Republican Party - is against further US aid to Ukraine and has previously supported amendments to block it.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thumbs Up 1

and? That has happened in every war, and is quite normal. Plenty of Brit soldiers executed for cowardice in WW1.

Without that threat, what sane person willingly goes towards probable death?

Real war isn't like the movies. Dying screaming of wounds isn't something the media normally shows.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Social Media said:

However, future aid to Ukraine is in doubt following the election of Republican Mike Johnson as speaker of the US House of Representatives earlier this week.

Mr Johnson - who is on the right wing of the Republican Party - is against further US aid to Ukraine and has previously supported amendments to block it.

Is sanity going to happen in the US congress after all? One can only hope.

Without the US, the war in Ukraine will end, but Ukraine may end up in a worse negotiating position than it would have 2 years ago.

If Zelensky ends up getting the boot even better.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and? That has happened in every war, and is quite normal. Plenty of Brit soldiers executed for cowardice in WW1.

Real war isn't like the movies. Dying screaming of wounds isn't something the media normally shows.

TV/movie portrayal of violence has a lot to answer for.........how many times do we see someone punched in the face repeatedly only to suffer a split lip........it really is criminal.

Violence should be realistically portrayed so idiots know what really happens.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

TV/movie portrayal of violence has a lot to answer for.........how many times do we see someone punched in the face repeatedly only to suffer a split lip........it really is criminal.

I've only seen one western movie that portrays it realistically. The Thin Red Line had a disemboweled soldier screaming and they gave him a bag full of morphine for him to kill himself with.

Asian movies are far more realistic when it comes to violent death.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Link to something that does not exist....................lol another FAIL

Are you lying or just making it up?

Plenty of links if one looks.

https://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-passes-law-shoot-deserters-304911

Ukraine Passes Law Allowing Military to Shoot Deserters

Feb 06, 2015 at 12:53 PM EST

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65792384

At least 90 Ukrainian draft dodgers and deserters are thought to have died trying to escape over the border into Romania

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RayC said:

I agree that we should hope that sanity prevails in Congress. That would result in the US continuing to support Ukraine financially and militarily with the eventual withdrawal of Russian forces from Ukraine to follow.

The eviction of Putin from the Kremlin would also be a useful by-product of a Ukrainian victory.

Where we fundamentally disagree is that any side will achieve "victory". As this is IMO a limited war, I see only that Russia will solidify it's defenses along the present front line and Ukraine will continue to try and cause as much disruption as possible, along the lines of what they were doing before the invasion.

Is the west in general, and the US in particular in it for decades to come ( they were in Afghanistan for a very long time )? IMO they will give up eventually. Even the intervention in Afghanistan ended, leaving the taliban in charge, again. Perhaps, it is hoped, that episode will educate certain leaders of the futility of such adventures.

Of course, the 1% thank the taxpayers of the west for making them even richer, and IMO if there are any "winners" it will be the ones selling the weapons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Btw, I'm a Russian draft dodger hiding out in Thailand. I have some first hand information

I don't think that I've ever read such perfect written English from a Russian. My compliments, sir 👍.

Out of curiosity do you speak with a Russian accent?

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where we fundamentally disagree is that any side will achieve "victory". As this is IMO a limited war, I see only that Russia will solidify it's defenses along the present front line and Ukraine will continue to try and cause as much disruption as possible, along the lines of what they were doing before the invasion.

Is the west in general, and the US in particular in it for decades to come ( they were in Afghanistan for a very long time )? IMO they will give up eventually. Even the intervention in Afghanistan ended, leaving the taliban in charge, again. Perhaps, it is hoped, that episode will educate certain leaders of the futility of such adventures.

Of course, the 1% thank the taxpayers of the west for making them even richer, and IMO if there are any "winners" it will be the ones selling the weapons.

It's pure conjecture on all our parts what happens next: Are we entering another long 'cold war'? The US funded 30-odd years of the last one; would it do so again? Could the EU - together with the UK - take the lead from a US-led NATO in defending Europe with the US committed to supporting in the event of a war?

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, RayC said:

I don't think that I've ever read such perfect written English from a Russian. My compliments, sir 👍.

Out of curiosity do you speak with a Russian accent?

Thank you so much for your kind words. 

To answer your question, I don't speak with a heavy Russian accent of course. But still, people sometimes are able to guess that I am Russian.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

WWI..............😆

Tell me about Brit stuff in WWII, or later.............🤗

But you will find the Russians did shoot their own in WWII...🤕

• Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 9:57 AM, Will B Good said:

The original "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930) was so brutally accurate in it's depiction of the horror of WW1 that it was banned in many cities and states.  The US Government forced Hollywood to come-up with a code forbidding a long list of combat scenarios.  Even such "accurate" films such as "Full Metal Jacket", "The Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan" were subject to cuts demanded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 

No more boys with their guts hanging out, being eaten by rats.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

WWI..............😆

Tell me about Brit stuff in WWII, or later.............🤗

But you will find the Russians did shoot their own in WWII...🤕

The Russian NKVD were stationed behind every combat unit.  You retreated without permission of the political commissar, you died.  Russia was said to have suffered 20 million dead during WW2. Probably 2 million of those were at the hands of the NKVD and other security services. 

• Thumbs Up 1