Is the online test still necessary to renew 5-year drivers license, please?

bamboozled

3 minutes ago, worrab said:

You use the DLTR online booking system. You have to now watch this video and the questions asked can be in English even though the speaker talks in Thai. (Don't ask.) You are able to select that option. Take the screenshot of the QR code when you have passed this test. Take this to the DLT with your medical certificate and then at the appointed time you go and do the reaction test with the traffic lights and the depth perception test. All good and you will receive your new licence. This is what happened with me at DLT Bang Saphan.

Thanks worrab! Appointments weren't available for 3 or 4 weeks and my license is expired already 3/4 weeks. So I will have to jump into the fray come Monday morn. I'm driving around on eggshells. Got my med cert. Captions on the vid. were in English so no worries there. Cheers!

4 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks worrab! Appointments weren't available for 3 or 4 weeks and my license is expired already 3/4 weeks. So I will have to jump into the fray come Monday morn. I'm driving around on eggshells. Got my med cert. Captions on the vid. were in English so no worries there. Cheers!

It does not matter that it is going to run out. It is better to go after the expiry date as when you get the new one it will be valid for 6 years instead of 5 years. This will give you the chance of doing it as I said and then you are definitely booked a slot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, worrab said:

It does not matter that it is going to run out. It is better to go after the expiry date as when you get the new one it will be valid for 6 years instead of 5 years. This will give you the chance of doing it as I said and then you are definitely booked a slot.

True, but it matters if I'm driving without a current and valid license and get stopped at one of the fairly common police check points. Plus, I'm not sure insurance covers an accident with an expired license. Plus, cannot use it as a valid ID, for instance, to board a plane. I don't foresee the boarding a plane being an issue between now and 3 weeks but it did happen to me very recently and I had to take a 10 hour bus ride because I was refused boarding. I didn't have my passport with me due to extenuating circumstances. I will feel better having a new license ASAP.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks CecilM! I've watched and photographed my QR code!

Sounds good.

No get a medical certificate (from your cheap local medical center) and make an appointment. Prepare photocopies of your documents (passport, etc).
And have your proof of address (I use my yellow tabian baan).

Last time, I also had to submit the title deed of my condo. (I guess things are up to each officer as to what documents they want to see.) So now I just bring everything. Rather bring too much than having to rush home and get something. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bamboozled said:

True, but it matters if I'm driving without a current and valid license and get stopped at one of the fairly common police check points. Plus, I'm not sure insurance covers an accident with an expired license. Plus, cannot use it as a valid ID, for instance, to board a plane. I don't foresee the boarding a plane being an issue between now and 3 weeks but it did happen to me very recently and I had to take a 10 hour bus ride because I was refused boarding. I didn't have my passport with me due to extenuating circumstances. I will feel better having a new license ASAP.

You only need to over run by one day and it is highly unlikely any police would take action. Especially if you carry the Qcode with you showing you have a date booked for renewal. It is very common practice so you can get 6 years instead of 5.

• Like 1

Success! For my new friends who lost sleep last night worrying if I had all my documents together or not: I am now the almost sinfully prideful holder of a shiny new, bumping up against 6-year validity, car drivers license and the identical item pertaining to the operation of a motorized two-wheeled vehicle (no, not a wheelbarrow). The officer did indeed want to know the numerical code which I received after watching the hour-long video mentioned previously. So don't skip that part in Chiang Mai. Strangely, they still haven't made the image on the license itself any larger or clearer. I could be a lot of different people based on the photo.

Thanks all!

14 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Success! For my new friends who lost sleep last night worrying if I had all my documents together or not: I am now the almost sinfully prideful holder of a shiny new, bumping up against 6-year validity, car drivers license and the identical item pertaining to the operation of a motorized two-wheeled vehicle (no, not a wheelbarrow). The officer did indeed want to know the numerical code which I received after watching the hour-long video mentioned previously. So don't skip that part in Chiang Mai. Strangely, they still haven't made the image on the license itself any larger or clearer. I could be a lot of different people based on the photo.

Thanks all!

what documents did you need ?    

thanks,  rumak

Edited by rumak

Certificate of residency, copy of TM30, extension of stay/visa, TM6, entry stamp, medical certificate, and the number you'll get after completing the online video. And you need passport and old license. If you are getting both car and moto you need 2 sets of all documents. I just had one official Cert. of Residency and copied it. I paid for 2 med. certificates but maybe a photocopy would have been fine. It was cost 700 baht and change for both.