truewallet ... impossible to register as farang?

Someone catch me up here...  Does anyone in Thailand have something akin to a Walmart pre-paid debit card or similar, available to tourists?  (Walmart's is a visa card, I think)  Or even a digital wallet as we're discussing, but specifically for short stay tourists that can be loaded up...

I'd like to buy some stuff on Lazada to be sent to my hotel in anticipation of my next arrival (which for me is a visa run from China).  But I don't want to expose my US credit cards to the Lazada system, especially ordering from here in China (if Lazada even accepts foreign cards- I bought tons of stuff from them when I had a K-Bank card, but never using a US card).

Edit:  Opening up the possibilities a little, does anyone have experience using a foreign Visa card on Lazada?

Edited by impulse

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someone catch me up here...  Does anyone in Thailand have something akin to a Walmart pre-paid debit card or similar, available to tourists?  (Walmart's is a visa card, I think)  Or even a digital wallet as we're discussing, but specifically for short stay tourists that can be loaded up...

I'd like to buy some stuff on Lazada to be sent to my hotel in anticipation of my next arrival (which for me is a visa run from China).  But I don't want to expose my US credit cards to the Lazada system, especially ordering from here in China (if Lazada even accepts foreign cards- I bought tons of stuff from them when I had a K-Bank card, but never using a US card).

Edit:  Opening up the possibilities a little, does anyone have experience using a foreign Visa card on Lazada?

SCB have them.

PS it took me a whole 2 minutes to find that out. Probably a lot less time than it took you to write your post. 😉

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards.html

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't have an SCB account...

Could contain:

Sorry but can't help any further except to say that I have used a UK credit card with Lazada for many years without any problems.

Maybe you're being over cautious.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:
On 10/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nope, wrong, can.   I've registered for and used TrueMoney for purchases, if that's what the OP is referring to.

you are like one in 10000 guavas that tried, I sniff a liar 

Why do you claim that I am a liar?  Are the other posters who have been able to register and use TrueMoney liars, also?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

10 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Well well! - after being booted off Paypal at the end of last year because I'm not a Thai citizen, I'm registered again, same method, and linked to my UK credit card. Thanks very much.

How did you verify your new PP account so that it can be used?  Registering is easy using the Covid number and I got the congratulatory welcome message.  At the top of my new PP account page is a notice that the account has to be verified before it can be used and that requires verification from a Thai bank or other authority that has swiped my non-existent Thai national ID card.

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I just got approved by TrueMoney after registering a couple of hours ago, how good is that? I used photos of my non-O visa and subsequent extensions to satisfy their KYC requirements.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this subject up and to @sqwakvfr for mentioning that they asked for non-O; last time I tried they only had 3 options - TDL, yellow book or Pink ID - and I don't have any of those because I'm a n00b 😅

Well done. So it CAN be done. I've just tried the pink card method. Let's see if I have any success this time. BTW I looked at your approach and they asked for a receipt for my non-O visa. Fat chance of having that from 10 years ago! Did you have one, or did you ignore it and carry on?

Edited by Moonlover

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How did you verify your new PP account so that it can be used?  Registering is easy using the Covid number and I got the congratulatory welcome message.  At the top of my new PP account page is a notice that the account has to be verified before it can be used and that requires verification from a Thai bank or other authority that has swiped my non-existent Thai national ID card.

Yes, you're right, I hadn't tried to use it and when I did I got the same message. If I was really bothered I might attempt the impossible/ridiculous by going to Kasikorn and trying to persuade them to verify my Covid registration number, but I don't need the aggravation. I would like to have Paypal as an option, but I have managed without it since the end of last year.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well done. So it CAN be done. I've just tried the pink card method. Let's see if I have any success this time. BTW I looked at your approach and they asked for a receipt for my non-O visa. Fat chance of having that from 10 years ago! Did you have one, or did you ignore it and carry on?

I wasn't asked for a receipt thank goodness, maybe because my non-O was issued in Dec 2021 and is still relatively fresh.

I just took photos of the page with the in-country non-O and then the following two pages showing extensions to 2023 and 2024.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2023 at 5:00 PM, sqwakvfr said:

Never had it and I don't miss it.  Not a big of fan of linking my credit or debit cards to third parties.  Also, had some bad experiences at the True Store at Maya Mall in CNX.  I just pay cash at the True machine or pay with the Bangkok Bank debit card. 

TrueWallet does not require any card links, I TopUp mine via a banking app. 

Digital wallets are safer to use than a physical debit or credit card though not as safe as Virtual bank cards.

In the end, it is up to the individual to decide what is best. 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:
4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

42 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I wasn't asked for a receipt thank goodness, maybe because my non-O was issued in Dec 2021 and is still relatively fresh.

I just took photos of the page with the in-country non-O and then the following two pages showing extensions to 2023 and 2024.

So I just got a reject from Truemoney.

'Please use valid personal and work information for registration'.

Great! I'm retired for which there is no provision. So I cannot supply employer details, neither name nor address. So I'm assuming that all those who have succeeded are working here, or did they just invent something?

I'm on the point of giving up.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, you're right, I hadn't tried to use it and when I did I got the same message. If I was really bothered I might attempt the impossible/ridiculous by going to Kasikorn and trying to persuade them to verify my Covid registration number, but I don't need the aggravation. I would like to have Paypal as an option, but I have managed without it since the end of last year.

Thanks for confirming that was the case...we have not found a way around the "Thai nationals only" rules for new PayPal accounts that can actually be used.  Thought that I may have ben missing something.

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Geez that's rough. I chose the option that said .../.../unemployed then put "Retired" as my occupation on the next screen.

Then I just put my home address as my work address.

That's it. Yippee I've aced it! Thanks so much for your help @Lemsta69

@Lacrimas do please take note. That's 2 of us (both foreigners) who've managed get signed up within 24 hours. So @Liverpool Lou was not lying at all.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No wuckas, happy spending.

It just occurred to me that the O/P might like to know. After all it's his Topic. So @john donson have you been following this? Both myself and @Lemsta69 have managed to register. It was the 'employment fields' that were my sticking point and I resolved the problem by following the advice given below.

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Geez that's rough. I chose the option that said .../.../unemployed then put "Retired" as my occupation on the next screen.

Then I just put my home address as my work address.

Why don't you give it a try?

On 10/29/2023 at 12:23 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

How did you verify your new PayPal account that PP state on their first page is only available to Thai citizens? 

I have successfully registered a new PP account just now doing as you suggested but, before it can be used, my ID has to be verified and that requires confirmation using a bank (or other ID facility) that has already swiped my Thai ID card.  You have a Thai ID card?

Al I can say is .I had account with my bank account linked to it. So  didn't make a new one just updated the old one with a Thai  my COVID id number. On the covid cirtificate it has id.  When I had covid injections to reg on Thai chana it had to be a thai I'd number. So I went to control in Pattaya covid office at the time and they gave me that number .that issuem is just a number linked to my passport. 

19 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Al I can say is .I had account with my bank account linked to it. So  didn't make a new one just updated the old one with a Thai  my COVID id number. On the covid cirtificate it has id.  When I had covid injections to reg on Thai chana it had to be a thai I'd number. So I went to control in Pattaya covid office at the time and they gave me that number .that issuem is just a number linked to my passport. 

That does not make sense.   When, specifically, did you make that "Covid ID No." update?

I, and many other foreigners in Thailand, also had PP accounts linked to Thai banks accounts (and Covid-allocated 13-digit numbers) but, regardless, PP announced that personal account holders will not be able to use the service if they do not verify their identity through the National Digital ID platform which specifically requires a Thai ID card to be physically swiped.   No other ID means were, or are, acceptable.  PP also specifically states currently on their account application page that a Thai National ID card, not an ID number, is required.   

How did you, alone, manage to obtain exemption from these government-mandated regulations?

• Like 2

I registered for True Money Wallet less than 24 hours ago.

In the App I scanned my passport photo page and both sides of Thai drivers license.

This evening I got an SMS:

IMG_2094.jpeg

Started the app and transferred a few hundred baht from my Thai bank account to True Wallet.

Very straight forward process. Money was in the wallet within 10 seconds.

Tomorrow I’ll try paying with it at 7-Eleven.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, george said:

In the App I scanned my passport photo page and both sides of Thai drivers license.

IMG_2094.jpeg

Started the app and transferred a few hundred baht from my Thai bank account to True Wallet.

It would seem that there is a monthly quota of free top-ups. The first 20 per month are gratis then it's 5 baht per. So top up sparingly, CP doesn't need any more satang! 🤭

Could contain:

On 10/31/2023 at 12:38 PM, Lacrimas said:

I managed to register, surprising. It's almost completely useless though... 99% of services available on it are only for Thaiz

So I've only had my 'wallet' a few days and, so far I've paid my PEA bill, my True Move bill, done some Lazada shopping, bought my weekly liquor ration from 7/11 and had an ice cream from Dairy Queen.

Yer, really useless!

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, george said:

IMG_2094.jpeg

Can you top it up by paying cash in, such as at 7/11?