Bird ID

The neighbors cats pulled down a Birds nest from a Longan tree. One of the baby birds died but two survived, so now we have the task of trying to keep them alive. Can anyone help us with identification of the birds species, and what kind of food they should be fed?

IMG_20231028_154826.thumb.jpg.e10d262fd4fb1908002d460924e770b8.jpg

IMG_20231028_154859.thumb.jpg.9822925206a69d16c284dec53d1177c0.jpg

To my completely uninformed eyes their beaks look quite short and strong, perhaps signifying that they are seed eaters? They are willing to eat banana, but I\, not sure that is a suitable food for them.

This is what their nest looks like

IMG_20231028_155717.thumb.jpg.73a8533be4f99fb05a89433c1d00de37.jpg

Any help is much appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Sophon said:

now we have the task of trying to keep them alive. Can anyone help us with identification of the birds species, and what kind of food they should be fed?

As honourable as your intentions are, what's the point...are you going to teach it to fly also or will you just release it to the mercy of the 200 cats?

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As honourable as your intentions are, what's the point...are you going to teach it to fly also or will you just release it to the mercy of the 200 cats?

Birds don't really need to be tought how to fly, once they are big and strong enough they will fly away from the nest on their own. And we obviously wouldn't release it on the neighbors land.

This is a bird we had a few years ago (I had to take it out of the mouth of one of dogs). It did fine when we released it after about a month

IMG_20180109_110220.thumb.jpg.07571de5ad2ac69bbdd637c09022dc12.jpg

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Sophon said:

This is a bird we had a few years ago (I had to take it out of the mouth of one of dogs). It did fine when we released it after about a month

I apologise for my facetiousness, then, well done.   But I am curious, how do you know that "it did fine" after you released it, did it keep in touch?

• Sad 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

I apologise for my facetiousness, then, well done.   But I am curious, how do you know that "it did fine" after you released it, did it keep in touch?

No, I don't know if it were able to survive on it's own, when I said "it did fine" I was referring to it flying.

Sure, there is a good chance that it will have difficulty foraging and surviving in the wild, but if we manage to raise it until it can fly at least it will have a chance. The alternative is to let it die now.