American 8th Grade Test from 1912.......

rbkk

13-14. OK, so on that basis, I doubt almost any kids of that age anywhere in the Anglophone world today could pass such a test.

For those European countries that still have much of an old-fashioned education still in place for those who can benefit from it - which is probably most European countries - such a test would be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

13-14. OK, so on that basis, I doubt almost any kids of that age anywhere in the Anglophone world today could pass such a test.

For those European countries that still have much of an old-fashioned education still in place for those who can benefit from it - which is probably most European countries - such a test would be fine.

Forget about kids, not many adults would be able to pass that test. Would you? On an overall score in all 7 categories, I would fail. Of course, a lot of the history and Civil Government questions are USA-specific.

With massive grade inflation in say 'A' levels in the UK I wonder how I would fare these days in such exams. 

I got 10 'O' levels with 9 grade 1s which in 1967 was worthy of an article in the local n news paper.

I got 4 'A' Levels and two special papers. 3 of the 'A' levels were grade A. Again I got a short article in the newspaper, forecasting a bright future. 

I did miserably at university....but pretty well in my career. I think I peaked early 🙂

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

With massive grade inflation in say 'A' levels in the UK I wonder how I would fare these days in such exams. 

I got 10 'O' levels with 9 grade 1s which in 1967 was worthy of an article in the local n news paper.

I got 4 'A' Levels and two special papers. 3 of the 'A' levels were grade A. Again I got a short article in the newspaper, forecasting a bright future. 

I did miserably at university....but pretty well in my career. I think I peaked early 🙂

I was in the 8th Grade in South Africa, and the other kids called me "professor", but I still wouldn't have passed that test, and back in those days the school curriculum was very "old English". Blazers and ties warn at all times, hair was chopped above the collar, and we were caned for minor infringements.

Just now, tropo said:

I was in the 8th Grade in South Africa, and the other kids called me "professor", but I still wouldn't have passed that test, and back in those days the school curriculum was very "old English". Blazers and ties warn at all times, hair was chopped above the collar, and we were caned for minor infringements.

Arrrrrr....the good old days.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, tropo said:

Forget about kids, not many adults would be able to pass that test. Would you? On an overall score in all 7 categories, I would fail. Of course, a lot of the history and Civil Government questions are USA-specific.

Most Americans have been dumped down by the media, so automatic default to fail this for most Americans. And the same for similar tests of other countries and their citizens.

Today a question would rather be:

A man bought a farm for $240,000 and sold it for $270,000.
What percent did he gain?
Choose the right answer:

A, 11.1 percent
B, 12.5 percent
C, 300 percent

Edited by khunPer
Cannot write C: