Keeping sim cards alive frequent visitor

surreybloke

I visit  LOS about 3/4 times a year and this is my plan going into my golden years. Not sure I can live in thailand full time.   

Issue if getting a sim that lasts instead of buying a new one every  time I arrive.       I did think of buying one of the annual data packages.        

Any thouhts comments 

In your case you could consider buying a 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM from dTac or IAS, which provides you with continual Internet-access, and is more than sufficient to even stream movies on your mobile or connected device.

Such SIM costs only approx 1.500,- THB, but you can only get them on Lazada or Shopee, and not at any of the phone-shops.   

There are however 2 drawbacks to those SIMs:

#1 - After expiry of the 1-year validity, you cannot renew that 1.500 THB package, and would have to buy a new one (with a different phone-number, that cannot be changed).  Note that you can buy cheap 1-day, 3-day or 1-week packages to bridge the 'intermediate time' between SIM 1-year expiry date and arrival of a new 1-year one. 

#2 - You will receive phone-calls and SMS messages on those 1.500,- THB 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIMS but they do not have phone- or SMS-credit for making calls.  Obviously when you use WhatsApp or Messenger or any other Internet-program to (video)call, chat or message your contacts, there is no need for making 'regular' phone-calls or sending SMS.  And you could buy a 70,- or 100,- THB phone-credit from dTac or IAS, which you only use for making the occasional call. 

>> All in all these SIMS are a far better deal than the regular packages when you primarily use them for Internet access.  But when you mainly use your mobile phone for making domestic calls, then a 'top-up' package might be more appropriate.

• Confused 2

Get a AIS Super Social sim prepaid. ฿200 a month. Then top up in ฿200 increments x12 for one year service, can be done in perpetuity, though only for 12 months max…so nearing the end of the 12 months you can top up again in ฿200 increments not exceeding 12 months. Before leaving the country, be sure there’s not a negative balance. While out of the country, providing your phone has WiFi calling capabilities, put the phone in airplane mode with WiFi on and make free calls to TH.

Edited by novacova

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

In your case you could consider buying a 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIM from dTac or IAS, which provides you with continual Internet-access, and is more than sufficient to even stream movies on your mobile or connected device.

Such SIM costs only approx 1.500,- THB, but you can only get them on Lazada or Shopee, and not at any of the phone-shops.   

#1 - After expiry of the 1-year validity, you cannot renew that 1.500 THB package, and would have to buy a new one (with a different phone-number, that cannot be changed).  Note that you can buy cheap 1-day, 3-day or 1-week packages to bridge the 'intermediate time' between SIM 1-year expiry date and arrival of a new 1-year one. 

#2 - You will receive phone-calls and SMS messages on those 1.500,- THB 1-year 30 Mbps unlimited download SIMS but they do not have phone- or SMS-credit for making calls.  Obviously when you use WhatsApp or Messenger or any other Internet-program to (video)call, chat or message your contacts, there is no need for making 'regular' phone-calls or sending SMS.  And you could buy a 70,- or 100,- THB phone-credit from dTac or IAS, which you only use for making the occasional call. 

>> All in all these SIMS are a far better deal than the regular packages when you primarily use them for Internet access.  But when you mainly use your mobile phone for making domestic calls, then a 'top-up' package might be more appropriate.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I was paying about 2500 6 months 4mbps. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

No such animal from AIS. DTAC only and a bit of a waste of money anyway for just a third of the year. It’s closer to 2200 for 12 months now; you are somewhat out of touch with current pricing and availability. 
They do have Unlimited 8Mbps with unlimited calls for 1800 baht or less 

15 baht per six months extension is somewhat less expensive. It’s a good idea to have the SIM activated for International Roaming(switch mobile data off) in so that you can apply the relevant USSD code for extending, whilst abroad. 
AIS doesn’t have that option, but small top ups via Internet Banking will add 30 days per top up. 

18 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Sounds like AIS. Check your DTAC reception before committing to a 12 month pack and don’t assume that you will obtain 30 Mbps at your location. If your location only allows for 4Mbps and you intend to use it mainly at your location, then paying extra for an up to 30Mbps pack @ 2200 baht could be wasteful. If you actually use you phone to make voice calls, the Unlimited 8Mbps pack with unlimited inclusive calls @ 1800 baht might be more suitable. 

AIS is limited to 100 GB per month, at up to 15Mbps; at a relatively high cost of around 2900 baht or less, for 12 months. 
Some here haven’t kept up with the price rises. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Last time I tried, everytime I topped up 10/20 baht using SIM company app it extends by a month, can also do at 7 Eleven, also banking app, so do 12x topups etc

Cannot top up AIS at a 7-11. Of course you know; information for the OP. 

38 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I read and checked NextG's posts, and he is correct that they hiked the price for that 1-year unlimited download 30 Mbps dTac SIM-card to almost 2.200,- THB. 

In april of this year - less than 7 months agao - I bought one for 1.500,- THB on Lazada. 

He is also correct that you should check your location whether you can indeed get the full 30 Mbps. 

I live in the sticks and most of the time I have a bit more than 20 Mbps.  

As I am a heavy downloader, even at 20 Mbps unlimited download and 2.200,- THB per year I consider it a good deal. 

Edited by Red Phoenix

5 hours ago, novacova said:

Get a AIS Super Social sim prepaid. ฿200 a month. Then top up in ฿200 increments x12 for one year service, can be done in perpetuity, though only for 12 months max…so nearing the end of the 12 months you can top up again in ฿200 increments not exceeding 12 months. Before leaving the country, be sure there’s not a negative balance. While out of the country, providing your phone has WiFi calling capabilities, put the phone in airplane mode with WiFi on and make free calls to TH.

Again, no such animal. Super Social SIM is 50 baht. There is no Super Social SIM 200 baht. 
You buy the SIM for 50 baht and are encouraged to top it up by 150 baht in exchange for certain benefits; 

For a cumulative top-up amount that reaches 150 Baht/month:

Make free calls within AIS network for 15 days/call for 30 days.

Get free access to AIS Super WiFi for 30 days. 

Extra calls are charged at 0.99 Satang/minute (VAT exclusive). 

Get unlimited free access to social network applications including Facebook, Messenger, LINE, Whatsapp and Twitter at 4 Mbps for 30 days.

https://www.ais.th/supersocialsim/en/

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

I read and checked NextG's posts, and he is correct that they hiked the price for that 1-year unlimited download 30 Mbps dTac SIM-card to almost 2.200,- THB. 

In april of this year - less than 7 months agao - I bought one for 1.500,- THB on Lazada. 

He is also correct that you should check your location whether you can indeed get the full 30 Mbps. 

I live in the sticks and most of the time I have a bit more than 20 Mbps.  

As I am a heavy downloader, even at 20 Mbps unlimited download and 2.200,- THB per year I consider it a good deal. 

It is a good deal for you. If you use it mainly at home, take a closer look at the NT Wireless offer. If you have compatible equipment, you might get comparable speeds for as little as 999 baht per annum, renewable each year. 

• Thanks 1

I think when I top up my SIM, with money, it is good for a year from that date.  I don't think you need a long-term data package.  Money in the account should be good enough.

It is a good idea to keep the same phone number so friends, dental clinics, etc. can continue to use your number.  If you are gone longer than a year, you can get a friend in Thailand to top up your account. 

• Like 1

From which operator is your SIM?

If AIS, if you top-up 20 Bhat you will get 1 month. So 20Bhat x 12, you will get 12 months.

(if you have a Thai bank account, you can do this from overseas.

This way you keep the same number as long as you wish.

I am not sure with foreign Banks & cards - I could not.

Not necessary to buy data packages you will not use.

Edited by ravip

25 minutes ago, NextG said:

Again, no such animal. Super Social SIM is 50 baht. There is no Super Social SIM 200 baht. 
You buy the SIM for 50 baht and are encouraged to top it up by 150 baht in exchange for certain benefits; 

For a cumulative top-up amount that reaches 150 Baht/month:

Make free calls within AIS network for 15 days/call for 30 days.

Get free access to AIS Super WiFi for 30 days. 

Extra calls are charged at 0.99 Satang/minute (VAT exclusive). 

Get unlimited free access to social network applications including Facebook, Messenger, LINE, Whatsapp and Twitter at 4 Mbps for 30 days.

https://www.ais.th/supersocialsim/en/

Yeah right…currently ฿150 a month, easy and inexpensive.

Could contain:

12 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

This looks a good deal. 

Could contain:

~
I am not saying that this is a fake seller, but when the price is less than half of other sellers, there might be a risk.  To avoid that, when I buy from Lazada I always select sellers that bear the LAZMALL mark, as Lazada guarantees that these are genuine sellers.

So you could do a search for " lazmall 1 year internet unlimited sim card 30mbps dtac " .

Edited by Red Phoenix

Just now, novacova said:

Yeah right…currently ฿150 a month, easy and inexpensive.

Could contain:

If it suits, certainly. Might be difficult to coincide the package being applied to the date of arrival. Plus of course they’ll have no data pack other than for those applications, unless they apply one. Otherwise data costs will come out of the top-ups. 

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Please explain? What do you think is wrong with the sim or deal? Lazada has pretty good purchase protection. Why would this be a foolish purchase?

From China? With no feedback. Forget it. Stick to reputable dealers close to the price that I stated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Please explain? What do you think is wrong with the sim or deal? Lazada has pretty good purchase protection. Why would this be a foolish purchase?

To be honest, nothing seriously wrong.

The OP is only a regular visitor and he wants to retain one number.

So a regular SIM would serve his purpose very well.

Edited by ravip