Can you defend yourself?

georgegeorgia

I immediately strip to tightey whiteys, stand at attention and sing any national anthem that comes to mind. I rarely know the words so it's basically a lot loud humming and incorrect lyrics.

The trick is not to make eye contact with anyone.

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 1

I used to be able to, nowadays I am too old. I avoid situations which might result in physical confrontation.

IMO the best defense against a male attacker is to grab them by the balls. It's commonly used by nurses to subdue male mental patients.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, 11 years of martial arts training 14 hours a week. 

Even with that training I still believe that in most cases, an experienced street fighter with training as a boxer would get the better of you, especially in the 30-50 age group.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, novacova said:

Only a knucklehead would engage in offensive action. Staying confident and calm is an imperative, never engage offensively unless there is absolutely no other option aside from defensive blocking. Outside of a military combat situation or a promoted fight ring, any well trained individual knows this. 

Back in the UK, even just anyone threatening me with violence, on the street, on a bus, at my work etc would cause me to retaliate, I had little martial arts training, only a green belt, but being older and wiser now living in Thailand for about 17 years, I have never had anyone threaten me even when I have approached a queue jumper and pointed to the end of the queue.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Even with that training I still believe that in most cases, an experienced street fighter with training as a boxer would get the better of you, especially in the 30-50 age group.

Judo, pencak silat, boxing, muay thai and experience as a bouncer. Of course, there are always better ones but, in most cases, i won't have much problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

There have been occasions where I have walked into a takeaway and seen a few rowdy customers late in the night, early morning, intoxicated, that is when I all of a sudden realised that I should about face as I take a call on my mobile (no call) and proceed to the next takeaway, or go for a short walk to return when they are gone or sitting quietly eating their meals.

No point in putting myself in a situation where I am going to have to get myself all dirty and bloodied on an empty stomach, is there.   

Sounds like Australia 😂

45 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Judo, pencak silat, boxing, muay thai and experience as a bouncer. Of course, there are always better ones but, in most cases, i won't have much problems. 

Ok heard Kali ( knife fighting ) is better for elderly people to learn?

Anyone heard of that or know knife fighting skills ? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Back in the UK, even just anyone threatening me with violence, on the street, on a bus, at my work etc would cause me to retaliate, I had little martial arts training, only a green belt, but being older and wiser now living in Thailand for about 17 years, I have never had anyone threaten me even when I have approached a queue jumper and pointed to the end of the queue.

You are still taking a risk 

I guess you use "risk management" though , obviously if it's some iced out tattooed muscled guy pushing in line in a Walking street 711 you would have to analyse that "risk" of saying anything 

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I used to be able to, nowadays I am too old. I avoid situations which might result in physical confrontation.

IMO the best defense against a male attacker is to grab them by the balls. It's commonly used by nurses to subdue male mental patients.

My dad used to do what they call.a "Hopaote" technique

Its using a finger or two plunging it into between the butt cheeks !

On 11/2/2023 at 1:09 PM, advancebooking said:

A light punch to the neck and run away is the best form of defence in serious situations where you are under threat. 

I usually keep my baseball practice kit in my car for road rage incidents. Bit do not normally take it into Macdonalds.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Ok heard Kali ( knife fighting ) is better for elderly people to learn?

Anyone heard of that or know knife fighting skills ? 

Knife fighting is only effective when up close together, unless of course you have learned how to throw the knife.

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You are still taking a risk 

I guess you use "risk management" though , obviously if it's some iced out tattooed muscled guy pushing in line in a Walking street 711 you would have to analyse that "risk" of saying anything 

You cannot go through life without taking risks, if that's what you want to do then you would be better just staying in your bed.

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Your great at saying absolutely nothing. Next time just give a simple pointer for self-defense.

Here are a few simple tips.

I let my thumbnails grow a little longer,they are perfect to use for throat punches or a quick poke in the eyes.

Learn to find a few pressure points and focus on those.

The best way still is to avoid a fight.

A guy i used to work with was a top bodybuilder in Holland and in the weekends he was a doorman in Amsterdam at the IT,he stopped doing it because he found people on certain drugs don't feel anything,they are like zombies.

Again,avoiding a fight is always the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

Here are a few simple tips.

I let my thumbnails grow a little longer,they are perfect to use for throat punches or a quick poke in the eyes.

Learn to find a few pressure points and focus on those.

The best way still is to avoid a fight.

A guy i used to work with was a top bodybuilder in Holland and in the weekends he was a doorman in Amsterdam at the IT,he stopped doing it because he found people on certain drugs don't feel anything,they are like zombies.

Again,avoiding a fight is always the best.

my best tip (but never tried it) is to completely turn the tables by moving in quick and giving the person a big hug, patting them on the back and saying "i'm sorry, man".

it would have to be done when you are close or they grab you so you don't get punched on the way in.

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

my best tip (but never tried it) is to completely turn the tables by moving in quick and giving the person a big hug, patting them on the back and saying "i'm sorry, man".

it would have to be done when you are close or they grab you so you don't get punched on the way in.

I think here in Thailand a Wai would have more effect.

Touching some one may not really be appreciated.

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That won't deter anyone. In fact, it might encourage some.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

After that, you wouldn't want to be eating your Mc'd's without washing your hands first.

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Ooohh, you're so tough, my keyboard kungfu boy! :cheesy:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1