Thai University Students

Fortunateson

Most teachers use powerpoint slides or pdf files so there are less books.  But if you give them a book the students know that the graded work is done at home.  So 'having a book' doesn't affect the grade.  They don't really get grades for classwork only homework.

It's also easier to display the material on a projector so that everyone can see it.  Or you will hear ''teacher I forgot my book'' 100 times a day.

Also most classes don't have a book.  So the teacher has to physically print 80 books.  And then ask the students to pay 60 baht for the book.

As a result many teachers just use a pdf.

You will be hated if you ask students to buy a crappy book that they never use in the lessons.

Its amazing that Thai highschools and universities don't have books.  The managers are inbred morons.  The lowest of the low in terms of intelligence.  A lot of Thai staff in schools wondering around wondering where they are.  A huge amount of stress is placed on the teachers to hand make an entire academic year because the school can't be bothered.  Then there is the question of whether stealing content from google is legal.  No one seems to care.  But the students pay the money for this.

5 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Also most classes don't have a book.  So the teacher has to physically print 80 books.  And then ask the students to pay 60 baht for the book.

As a result many teachers just use a pdf.

You will be hated if you ask students to buy a crappy book that they never use in the lessons.

Most university classes use online platforms. Teachers post material online in pdf from. Easy to post a whole book or a whole course at once. All the students have tablets and can take notes if they want to. Also quite easy now to set class assignments that require students to submit during class via the online platform. 

7 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Its amazing that Thai highschools and universities don't have books.  The managers are inbred morons.  The lowest of the low in terms of intelligence.  A lot of Thai staff in schools wondering around wondering where they are.  A huge amount of stress is placed on the teachers to hand make an entire academic year because the school can't be bothered.  Then there is the question of whether stealing content from google is legal.  No one seems to care.  But the students pay the money for this.

The only time I use textbooks with university students is when the university requires it in some way. I use journal articles and my own materials. It is the most basic part of the job. If a university professor is too lazy or incompetent to even do that without getting 'stressed', they've got no business being in the classroom. I cannot think of a single half-decent prof who relies heavily on textbooks. 

48 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

The only time I use textbooks with university students is when the university requires it in some way. I use journal articles and my own materials. It is the most basic part of the job. If a university professor is too lazy or incompetent to even do that without getting 'stressed', they've got no business being in the classroom. I cannot think of a single half-decent prof who relies heavily on textbooks. 

Exactly. Very easy to build your own course these days from journals, videos, articles etc. and load it all to whatever platform the university is using. Students don't have pens and paper because they don't need them. They can write notes on their tablets (might surprise some here  how much they do that), easily record themselves, log in for online knowledge checks or quizzes. Internet connections are pretty good here so not much excuse for teachers not to be making use of the technology. And from what I see of the new generation of Thai university teachers, their English to a classroom communication level is pretty much a given, and adoption of the technology is better than some of the older foreigners. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/3/2023 at 5:22 AM, PJ71 said:

Not really, they're adults and i'm not as old as most on here so not sure what your problem is?

Some posters live in a woke world where just looking at a female is deserving of scourging and dismemberment. Luckily we can ignore them on here.

If he didn't like your comment, then he's going to hate me for saying that the top floor of MBK was a delightful place to hang out. There's something about attractive girls in blouses 3 sizes too small and micro, micro mini skirts.............

Of course they don't wear them to be sexually provocative, as they are so demure that the thought never crosses their pure as driven snow minds. It's probably so there is less material for mummy to wash, bless.

One has to feel sorry for any male teachers' professors they had though, with all that pulchritude on show in the classroom.

• Sad 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:34 AM, PJ71 said:

As mentioned, uni students are young adults, what's the problem?

He apparently doesn't know that the precious petals he is so concerned about were ( at least some years ago ) renting their <deleted> to business men in Siam Square for money to buy an i phone or such like.

It was exposed in the newspaper I can't mention or quote on here.

• Sad 1