Gas-operated BB guns

cliveshep

Carrying replica firearms in public is illegal. Airsoft guns are not classed as firearms so it is legal to own one. 

There are numerous airsoft clubs and ranges in Thailand that operate without any problem, so it would seem like most things in life, using some intelligence ensures you don't end up breaking any laws. 

On 11/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I have two air pistols and ALWAYS bring one whenever I ride my pushbike to deter feral beasts aka soi dogs. I DO carry it in a basket in the front and always place a rag on top for the very reason OP is asking. Try as I might, I could never find a definitive answer to whether or not they are legal.

Thai laws - clear as mud.

You might want to re-think the gun in basket, particularly given the ongoing anti-gun clampdown. As you note, Thai laws are not always clear. If someone sees 'farang with a gun' the police will be all over it. Makes for good news.

The recent Interior Ministry pronouncements say that all BB guns should be presented for registration with the RTP, although of course not all BB guns even have a serial number.

22 hours ago, proton said:

Is there anything legal you can kill rats etc with?

Dogs? I had a Thai dog that was an amazing rat-catcher / killer. One quick nip behind the neck; gone.

If you don't like dogs, use a slingshot w/ BB ammo. Can get good ones on Lazada, etc.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I use mine to persuade feral cats not to enter my property.

Years ago, I used to post a link to a summary of the Thai laws around BB guns, pellet guns and airsoft guns.  I'm not going to look for the same link because the laws may have changed.  But 2 things that were illegal stick out in my mind. 

One is shooting at animals to inflict pain, and the other is shooting metallic projectiles.  You can probably get away with "persuading feral cats" unless one of your neighbors rats you out, either because they like cats or don't like you for some reason.

I had an airsoft pistol and 2 high power pellet rifles (all bought in the open in Chinatown).  Then Thailand had one of their occasional crackdowns.  I kept the airsoft pistol and used it for target practice into a paper filled box in my apartment.  I gave away the 2 pellet rifles to someone braver than me, who claimed to have a bird problem.

8 hours ago, Artisi said:

using some intelligence ensures you don't end up breaking any laws. 

Or worse.

Can't forget the story of that Bangkok taxi driver just a few years before Corona, who had an argument with another one, while they were driving more or less next to each other and at some point, thought it might be a good idea to pull out his BB gun and intimidate the other guy by shooting at him.

To his surprise the other guy pulled out a gun too and fired back.

I think it is safe to say that his surprise didn't last for long, as the other guy had a real gun and after missing twice, hit him between the eyes.

I`d love to know, what his last thought was.

• Haha 1