Most British people hold positive view of immigration, survey reveals

Social Media

23 hours ago, nauseus said:

The topic mentions "most British people" so a broad, nationwide poll is necessary, with many more than 1100 bods.

A good chef doesn't need to consume the full pot of soup to know how it tastes. Good statisticians likewise.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, sirineou said:

Why is it that surveys that support one's bias are always done properly and the ones that opposed, have to have something wrong with them?  

I have no reason to believe this poll was not done properly though the sampling is rather small.However the extract omits a key point which is given in the Guardian article, namely that 2/3 respondents still believe it is a bad idea for immigrants to be of a different ethnicity/culture to the majority population.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Will those be the same people who voted to replace immigrants from Europe with immigrants from India and the Philippines I wonder?

Yes there's an irony there if one believes those who voted for Brexit were essentially racist in motivation.They didn't get the immigration system they wanted - though to be fair I don't think there is much prejudice at all to immigrants from the countries you mention.

In all these matters there's a need not to jump to simplistic and intellectually lazy responses (Not accusing you of that!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I can’t speak for others, but I’m nowhere near either of the ages at which people need their food putting through a blender.

That's not what I said, although they are used more and more for super soups these days.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I have no reason to believe this poll was not done properly though the sampling is rather small.However the extract omits a key point which is given in the Guardian article, namely that 2/3 respondents still believe it is a bad idea for immigrants to be of a different ethnicity/culture to the majority population.

I think I understand what you are saying, except the ethnicity part, A bit difficult  for immigrants to be of the same ethnicity as the host country. 

People have a culture, it is a system that has developed over years , it is a system that works for them under their particular circumstances and they don't want it changing. They know what they have now ,and are afraid that change will be for the worst . You know? "the devil we know" 

People talk about Racism, but I think it is not so much racism as it is ethnocentrism and the desire of one to want to defend and maintain his/hers culture. 

What they don't understand is that culture is always evolving and changing, and that they also are product's of past migrations.  

The unfortunate situation is that you guys are a bunch of slackers!! LOL, You only have I.5 children and you need 2.1 to simply maintain a stable population. And most of your .5s are here in Thailand! I know I have talked to them and believe me .5 is being extremally generous  🤣

Never mind grow your population.

So unless you all get on the ball and start humping with more enthusiasm , I am afraid your only solution would be immigrants. And unfortunately . by definition they will be of a different culture, because all the similar cultures are also slackers  and have their own declining population issues. 

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A bit difficult  for immigrants to be of the same ethnicity as the host country.

Er, actually it's quite easy if we are referring to immigrants from the same stock/cultural background as the majority population - think Ukraine compared with Libya.

It's a sensitive and complicated area of course.In the UK Nigerians, South Africans,Australians and Indians for example tend to fit in well because they share cultural characteristics including language.

Educated immigrants from anywhere tend to fit in and adapt.Uneducated and religious zealots tend not to.