Nonthaburi: Teenage girl arrested for promoting underage prostitution on Twitter

webfact

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I don't think its fair to make that statement without knowing the girl's situation.  Granted, some people are just plain bad and deserve what they get but for the vast majority, prison is likely to be the last thing they need.  The chances of rehabilitation in a Western style prison are low - in a Thai prison they must be just about zero.  It is much more likely that she will actually learn how to carry out even worse things in 'The University of Crime'.

This girl, like so many kids in Thailand may have very few 'life chances' and is very likely to have come from a situation where she has been abused in the past (and could possibly still be being abused).

Set that against a background of living in a country where prostitution in all its forms is absolutley rife and in some cases almost considered 'normal' and its not too difficult to imagine that she may have considered what she was doing (pimping) is not so bad.  It is also highly likely that she is also a prostitute - or has been.

When I say rife - I discover more and more on a regular basis. Thai's don't like talking about it but I pick up stuff quite often.  Wives who disappear for an hour now and then to pay for their gambling addiction. Office girls who freelance occasionally, university girls with secret sugar daddies - the list goes on and on. She may have learned (possibly the hard way) that there is a high demand for underage girls and I don't mean from tourists. The point is that against such a background, its not such a big bridge to cross.

Morally, whilst we may consider pimping a 17 year old girl horrific, I have no doubt that both the 17 & 19 year olds think of themselves as adults.

This girl may well just be bad through and through but its highly likely that there is a 'back story'.

With counselling and encouragement, with a chance of getting a decent job, this young lady could be turned around and lead a useful and happy life.  From what I know of Thailand, that seems very unlikley though. She's much more likely to return to her previous occupation upon release but by then will have learned how not to get caught.

So the perpetrator gets off the hook because she was a victim of society? It is likely not many of us are going to be buying into that explanation. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So the perpetrator gets off the hook because she was a victim of society? It is likely not many of us are going to be buying into that explanation. 

Not gets 'off the hook' - maybe an alternative form of punishment?  Penal authorities the world over are realising that prison achieves very little other than punishment - in many cases it does nothing to stop offending behaviour and very often makes it worse.  What use is that to society?

For some crimes, such as extreme forms of violence, there can be no option other than prison but society needs to decide, do we just want to continue locking people up or do we want them to stop their behaviour? The evidence so far proves beyond doubt that you can't achieve both.

In some cases, and this is possibly one, people's likelihood of committing crime can be greatly affected by their background - its often not simply badness or something that's in their DNA. Possibly the most studied and documented examples of this are those relating to sexual abuse.  A very high percentage of those that are abused as children, go on to be abusers themselves.

From what I've learned about Thai prisons, very little is done to address offending behaviour but the offender is very likely to have learned more about crime through mixing with hardened criminals.

Take a look at the USA - the country with the highest rate of imprisonment per capita at 737 per 100,000. It also has the world's highest re-offending rate at 70%. Contrast that with Norway, a country known for its innovative rehabilitation measures and that is rated as the one that treats prisoners the best - their rates are 54 per 100,000 and a re-offending rate of 20%. Those results have been achieved through concentrating on restorative justice, rehabilitation and alternatives to prison. Thailand's imprisonment rates are unverified and appear to be very questionable at 460 people imprisoned per 100,000 with a claimed re-offending rate of just 24%. The rate is also skewed by the fact that Thailand gives out some of the longest sentences - especially in relation to drug crime.  100% of other countries that have low or significantly reduced re-offending rates report achieving that through concentrating on rehabilitation and alternatives to prison.  Thailand does very little in terms of rehabilitation and has a relatively high rate of imprisonment.  It is also a country where very little confidence can be placed in official figures of any kind. China likewise is known to 'manipulate' its figures by sending people to 'educational' facilities - their statistics are not then included in either the overall imprisonment rate per capita or the re-offending rates.

Get re-offending rates down and you start to seriously reduce crime overall.  Its really easy to say 'lock em up', I used to subscribe to that viewpoint. However my (very sceptical) eyes were opened after studying this subject at university. I now prefer to see results and live in a world where there is less crime. If that is best achieved by employing alternatives to prison and rehabilitation, which it clearly is - so be it.

Some countries are experimenting with, in some cases, only imprisoning people during their 'free time' - if they have a job they are allowed to continue working.  That way, their families are less affected and their finances don't collapse upon imprisonment which can lead to immediate re-offending on release. So far, for certain groups of offenders, that has been particularly successful.

The questions are:  Do we want to continue locking people up and seeing crime rates increase? Or do we want to actually reduce crime?  Should we not take into account of the fact that many who commit crime come from a position of severe disadvantage? Should that not be taken into account?

It should also not be forgotten that the cost of imprisonment is bourne by the taxpayer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Not gets 'off the hook' - maybe an alternative form of punishment?  Penal authorities the world over are realising that prison achieves very little other than punishment - in many cases it does nothing to stop offending behaviour and very often makes it worse.  What use is that to society?

For some crimes, such as extreme forms of violence, there can be no option other than prison but society needs to decide, do we just want to continue locking people up or do we want them to stop their behaviour? The evidence so far proves beyond doubt that you can't achieve both.

In some cases, and this is possibly one, people's likelihood of committing crime can be greatly affected by their background - its often not simply badness or something that's in their DNA. Possibly the most studied and documented examples of this are those relating to sexual abuse.  A very high percentage of those that are abused as children, go on to be abusers themselves.

From what I've learned about Thai prisons, very little is done to address offending behaviour but the offender is very likely to have learned more about crime through mixing with hardened criminals.

Take a look at the USA - the country with the highest rate of imprisonment per capita at 737 per 100,000. It also has the world's highest re-offending rate at 70%. Contrast that with Norway, a country known for its innovative rehabilitation measures and that is rated as the one that treats prisoners the best - their rates are 54 per 100,000 and a re-offending rate of 20%. Those results have been achieved through concentrating on restorative justice, rehabilitation and alternatives to prison. Thailand's imprisonment rates are unverified and appear to be very questionable at 460 people imprisoned per 100,000 with a claimed re-offending rate of just 24%. The rate is also skewed by the fact that Thailand gives out some of the longest sentences - especially in relation to drug crime.  100% of other countries that have low or significantly reduced re-offending rates report achieving that through concentrating on rehabilitation and alternatives to prison.  Thailand does very little in terms of rehabilitation and has a relatively high rate of imprisonment.  It is also a country where very little confidence can be placed in official figures of any kind. China likewise is known to 'manipulate' its figures by sending people to 'educational' facilities - their statistics are not then included in either the overall imprisonment rate per capita or the re-offending rates.

Get re-offending rates down and you start to seriously reduce crime overall.  Its really easy to say 'lock em up', I used to subscribe to that viewpoint. However my (very sceptical) eyes were opened after studying this subject at university. I now prefer to see results and live in a world where there is less crime. If that is best achieved by employing alternatives to prison and rehabilitation, which it clearly is - so be it.

Some countries are experimenting with, in some cases, only imprisoning people during their 'free time' - if they have a job they are allowed to continue working.  That way, their families are less affected and their finances don't collapse upon imprisonment which can lead to immediate re-offending on release. So far, for certain groups of offenders, that has been particularly successful.

The questions are:  Do we want to continue locking people up and seeing crime rates increase? Or do we want to actually reduce crime?  Should we not take into account of the fact that many who commit crime come from a position of severe disadvantage? Should that not be taken into account?

It should also not be forgotten that the cost of imprisonment is bourne by the taxpayer.

While I'm sure many of us appreciated your essay on the lack of rehabilitation in regard to imprisonment, a lot of the ideas that you've discussed requires a tremendous amount of vision, planning, will, volition, and a true desire to see real improvement in society.

Do you detect any of that in the leadership here at this time? That would be my primary question for you. So, what to do with these cretins. 

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

While I'm sure many of us appreciated your essay on the lack of rehabilitation in regard to imprisonment, a lot of the ideas that you've discussed requires a tremendous amount of vision, planning, will, volition, and a true desire to see real improvement in society.

Do you detect any of that in the leadership here at this time? That would be my primary question for you. So, what to do with these cretins. 

I am stating what should happen and in a way, asking you to give consideration before condemnation. The results from countries that have taken a more rehabilitative approach, prove that there is a better way that drastically reduces re-offending and therefore crime rates overall.  The 'lock em up and throw away the key' attitude held by so many, and I used to be one of them, simply doesn't work.

Do I think its likely to happen in Thailand?  Not a hope. Forget changes to the rehabilitation of offenders - nothing ever changes in Thailand.  Even an elected government is not allowed to take its place.

They don't even feed prisoners a reasonable amount per day.  The current total budget for food in Thai prisons which was I think, set at 30 baht per person per day was based on total prison populations many years ago. The current prison population has increased by I believe, several hundred thousand but the food budget remains the same. Malnutrition is rife.

If you are interested in what awaits this 19 year old girl, if she's imprisoned, have a read of Amnesty's report - its sobering.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/asa390032002en.pdf

Edited by MangoKorat

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Definitely more to this story.  Most likely she has someone above her that she reports to since her "commission" is only 200 baht.

Yes, those were also my thoughts. The 17 year old who was supposed to provide 'services' was probably getting less than half of the fee.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 5:21 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Here we have yet another brain-dead Thai promoting her illegal business on social media, thinking that it will only be seen by potential customers/perverts and not the police. Unbelievable. I wonder how some of these people even have enough intelligence to breathe.

A very shallow attitude from someone who has no idea of this girl's life or the circumstances that brought her to this position.

It is highly likely that this girl is actually an 'employee' of someone controlling several similar girls who they use to evade the law themselves.

Please don't be so fast to condemn people when you have no knowedge of their circumstances.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:
On 11/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Here we have yet another brain-dead Thai promoting her illegal business on social media, thinking that it will only be seen by potential customers/perverts and not the police. Unbelievable. I wonder how some of these people even have enough intelligence to breathe.

A very shallow attitude from someone who has no idea of this girl's life or the circumstances that brought her to this position.

It is highly likely that this girl is actually an 'employee' of someone controlling several similar girls who they use to evade the law themselves.

Please don't be so fast to condemn people when you have no knowedge of their circumstances.

I repeat: Here we have yet another brain-dead Thai promoting her illegal business on social media, thinking that it will only be seen by potential customers/perverts and not the police.

That has nothing at all to do with her circumstances. Or if she is an employee. You say that is highly likely. Based on what?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I don't think its fair to make that statement without knowing the girl's situation.  Granted, some people are just plain bad and deserve what they get but for the vast majority, prison is likely to be the last thing they need.  The chances of rehabilitation in a Western style prison are low - in a Thai prison they must be just about zero.  It is much more likely that she will actually learn how to carry out even worse things in 'The University of Crime'.

This girl, like so many kids in Thailand may have very few 'life chances' and is very likely to have come from a situation where she has been abused in the past (and could possibly still be being abused).

Set that against a background of living in a country where prostitution in all its forms is absolutley rife and in some cases almost considered 'normal' and its not too difficult to imagine that she may have considered what she was doing (pimping) is not so bad.  It is also highly likely that she is also a prostitute - or has been.

When I say rife - I discover more and more on a regular basis. Thai's don't like talking about it but I pick up stuff quite often.  Wives who disappear for an hour now and then to pay for their gambling addiction. Office girls who freelance occasionally, university girls with secret sugar daddies - the list goes on and on. She may have learned (possibly the hard way) that there is a high demand for underage girls and I don't mean from tourists. The point is that against such a background, its not such a big bridge to cross.

Morally, whilst we may consider pimping a 17 year old girl horrific, I have no doubt that both the 17 & 19 year olds think of themselves as adults.

This girl may well just be bad through and through but its highly likely that there is a 'back story'.

With counselling and encouragement, with a chance of getting a decent job, this young lady could be turned around and lead a useful and happy life.  From what I know of Thailand, that seems very unlikley though. She's much more likely to return to her previous occupation upon release but by then will have learned how not to get caught.

18 is an adult. Probably 9 months away from being legal.

55 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I repeat: Here we have yet another brain-dead Thai promoting her illegal business on social media, thinking that it will only be seen by potential customers/perverts and not the police.

That has nothing at all to do with her circumstances. Or if she is an employee. You say that is highly likely. Based on what?

The point of debating with someone putting forward such narrow and ignorant points of view is what?

Nothing will change your mind - even clear evidence. You will simply seek to claim you are correct and to justify that position.

Maybe people commenting in this thread should keep one thing in mind.  Think back to when you were 19 - were you an adult? Then consider maturity levels in Thailand - they don't seem to mature as fast as other nationalities.

These girls were just 2 years apart and I think most would agree, likely to be very immature.  I don't see anywhere in the report that suggests the younger girl was taken to the resort forcibly.  It is probable that both girls didn't see an awful lot wrong in what they were doing - possibly through both immaturity and circumstances. The fact that the 'services' were openly advertised on Twitter also suggests a degree of immaturity.

This is not at all the same as some of the stories I've read about girls as young as 12 being kept in rooms in so called 'massage' establishments, run by evil adults who know very well that what they are doing is abhorent. Some of the girls in those circumstances do what they do with the full knowledge of their parents.

Most of us here come from countries that have safety nets (benefit systems). I would suggest that none of us here know what its like to be poor in Thailand. I don't see how anyone can make derogatory comments about this girl unless you've first 'walked a mile in her shoes'. We simply don't know enough about the situation of anyone involved.

I note that nobody has considered that drugs may be involved here.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The point of debating with someone putting forward such narrow and ignorant points of view is what?

Nothing will change your mind - even clear evidence. You will simply seek to claim you are correct and to justify that position.

You clearly don't see that promoting an illegal business on social media where millions might see it, including the authorities, is just plain dumb. That says a lot about you, I'm afraid. And I have no idea what 'clear evidence' you are talking about. Of what?

• Like 1