England booted from World Cup

bignok

50 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Interestingly the "short" (T20) version of the World Cup of which we speak will be held in the US next year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_ICC_Men's_T20_World_Cup

I wonder what the crowds will be like, will there be TV education programmes explaining the complexities of the game?

Interesting you wrote this as i find that T20 not much different to baseball. So i would imagine the Americans will pick it up pretty quiclkly,the rules etc.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lacessit said:

Given the way the Poms were mouthing off prior to the match, it seems to be  som nam na.

Better to let the bat and ball do the talking.

They've been outclassed by Afghanistan, Netherlands and Bangladesh! Oh how the mighty fall!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I wonder what the crowds will be like, will there be TV education programmes explaining the complexities of the game?

Lots of expats will probably rock up. I remember a three match Tendulkar XI Vs a Shane Warne XI series a few years back held across the USA. The joint was full each time of about 30,000 spectators …but probably not a single genuine Yankee Doodle amongst them 😂 

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Indeed, they had a terrible tournament.

When they get home they will be distraught until they remember:

1.) T20 - ranked 2nd in the world. (US is 22nd)

2.) ODI - ranked 6th in the world. (US is 17th)

3.) Test - ranked 3rd in the world. (US is not ranked)

4.) No matter how badly they play, they will not be American.

I wouldn't take too much solace from being better than the US at cricket.

The US has almost no consciousness of the existence of cricket.

How there are enough US cricketers to 22nd or 17th in anything cricket related is a mystery.

T20, ODI, Test? No idea what those mean.

I thought this was a thread about World Cup football which has significant participation in the US.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Actually, the ODI World Cup.

We were indeed carp!

Yes, sorry. Was a bit too keen to get my response in. Must have still been on my mind that England are the current T20 champions 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sungod said:

Yep,  equally as pathetic as the Aussie's at the Rugby World Cup,

Yes, I actually won a good few quid on that. Aussies were 7/1 to NOT qualify from the group and duly obliged....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Yes, sorry. Was a bit too keen to get my response in. Must have still been on my mind that England are the current T20 champions 😉

They are the current ODI champions too, at least until 19th November :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I like cricket, indeed used to play casually.

England have certainly failed to live up to expectations, in what is a very specific form of the game.

I shall not lose any sleep - I don't live near any Australians so am unlikely to be disturbed by their ululations as they re-establish their national identity!

Incidentally, is it true that you have the side brim of your hats turned up to accommodate the chip on your shoulder?😄

IIRC, the turned-up side brim of the hats originated from the First World War. The chip on the shoulder probably arose from the fact purblind British generals got so many Australians killed and maimed with their incompetence.

I suggest you read " Monash - the outsider who won the War" by Roland Perry. It was an Australian general who saved the English bacon, although in class-ridden Britain his contribution was never acknowledged, as Monash was Jewish.

Only the British could have a statue of Douglas Haig in Whitehall. He was the architect of the Battle of the Somme, in which 1 million men were killed or wounded.