Phillipines Retirement Visa

Not many who choose SRRV. I moved from there before the pandemic, so did most. Most expats stayed for 3 years on tourist visa extensions.

Leave 1 day, return next day, start over again.

Few had SRRV, deposit from US$5,000 (US Army retirees), else 10 - 20,000 US$.

Deposit can be used for buy a condo.

Agent is highly reccommended by all there.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

https://pra.gov.ph/downloads/

Local expat forum for the latest info, and a very few members on SRRV.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The SRRV process is long and yes complicated.  I have all the documents ready to pursue the military veteran option.  The challenge for me is getting the documents apostilled.  I will have two federal government issued documents (DD-214 and an FBI background check) and one California government issued document.  The apostille process might take a while.  But the greatest aspect of the SRRV is that it is a lifetime visa.  Once it is granted one can renew it forever.  The SRRV renewal process seems like it is really simple. This process sounds nothing like the Thai visa extension process.  I have   been in contact with two agents in Cebu who can assist in the SRRV application process.  I have also been told the SRRV agents do not charge the applicant.  Instead they are paid by the government.

• Like 1

SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY

For foreign nationals, 50 years old & above, who are retired Armed Force officers of foreign countries with existing military ties and/or agreement with the Philippine Government. A monthly pension of at least US$1,000.00 and an SRR Visa deposit of US$1,500.00 are required. The SRR Visa deposit includes the principal applicant and 2 dependents. Additional dependent, entails additional SRR Visa deposit of US$15,000 each (except for former Filipinos). CHILDREN must be legitimate or legally adopted by the Principal Retiree, unmarried and below 21 years old upon joining the program.

@sqwakvfr

From friends still there, I know that up to 9 year on tourist visas (3x3yr), is still doable.

During my years there, I knew many in age group 65-75 who left the country in a hurry, when they got sick and needed further treatment (never to return).

I can see why a 50 y.o would consider SRRV, but when one reach age 60, our health will decline at some point.

Both driver license and bank account opening can easily be done on tourist visa, (if not directly), with a friend of a friend.

What is your reason for applying for a SRRV, what advantages do you see?

56 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

@sqwakvfr

From friends still there, I know that up to 9 year on tourist visas (3x3yr), is still doable.

During my years there, I knew many in age group 65-75 who left the country in a hurry, when they got sick and needed further treatment (never to return).

I can see why a 50 y.o would consider SRRV, but when one reach age 60, our health will decline at some point.

Both driver license and bank account opening can easily be done on tourist visa, (if not directly), with a friend of a friend.

What is your reason for applying for a SRRV, what advantages do you see?

1) The security of a lifetime visa with  only an annual renewal fee

2) Mult entry and exit.  No need for a clearance certificate to leave the PI

3) For the last 7 years in Chiang Mai it has always been on a year to year basis. I have never done anything from a long term perspective during my time in Thailand.  If I am granted an SRRV I would start looking at things from a long term viewpoint (like buying a condo etc, etc). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1. So this visa is only for ex military?

2. You can stay 3 years on tourist visa?

3. Reason for looking at it - 180 days out of Thailand every year.

4. Although I believe not now commonly spoken in the Phillipines I can speak Spanish (and English) so I would feel comfortable language wise.

5. At this moment just looking at all options.

23 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

1. So this visa is only for ex military?

2. You can stay 3 years on tourist visa?

1) No.

SRRV is for all age 50+. But there are different requirements.

5,000 for US Army.

10,000 - 20,000 US$ for others. If you read Links given above, you can read the specifics.

2. Yes.

If you follow link above to the local forum in Philippines, they are updated on the latest info. Yearly cost aprox 500US$. And Immigration is very easy and friendly, none had a problem, unless they overstay. As you maybe know, no bank deposit required for tourist visa and no insurance requirements.

Worth mentioning that few stay 3 years, many need a holiday away from: Heavy traffic, air pollution (low quality diesel) brown out no electricity, earthquakes, hurricanes, waiting lines, empty Atm's, out of stock.

English overall no problem, spanish is close to tagalog, another small advantage.

Please open the links given before, and read all you can in the local PI forum, and in Philippines sub forum here

https://aseannow.com/forum/340-philippines/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

1) The security of a lifetime visa with  only an annual renewal fee

2) Mult entry and exit.  No need for a clearance certificate to leave the PI

3) For the last 7 years in Chiang Mai it has always been on a year to year basis. I have never done anything from a long term perspective during my time in Thailand.  If I am granted an SRRV I would start looking at things from a long term viewpoint (like buying a condo etc, etc). 

1) Yearly fee is US$360, while tourist visa is aprox USD500 included ACR-I card (alien identification card).

2) ECC is for stay more than 6 months and no problem to get, some wait until airport to get it (not reccommended).

3) Agree. Philippines has a much more longterm perspective, and seldom introduce new requirements. Visa on arrival was said to be increased to 59 days, maybe implemented already. They have a different attitude to tourists, and make it easier for long staying expats.

I wish you good luck with your application.

You are maybe a member on the PI forum as well, and have read about how much time it can take to sell a property there. Buying is easy. Selling is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Not many who choose SRRV. I moved from there before the pandemic, so did most. Most expats stayed for 3 years on tourist visa extensions.

Leave 1 day, return next day, start over again.

Few had SRRV, deposit from US$5,000 (US Army retirees), else 10 - 20,000 US$.

Deposit can be used for buy a condo.

Agent is highly reccommended by all there.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

https://pra.gov.ph/downloads/

Local expat forum for the latest info, and a very few members on SRRV.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/

Incorrect military info. Your numbers are wrong and it is not just US military nor is it for retired miltary. It is interpreted by the PRA to mean retired AND ex military with an honorable discharge. 

• Sad 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, Shop mak said:

Worth mentioning that few stay 3 years, many need a holiday away from: Heavy traffic, air pollution (low quality diesel) brown out no electricity, earthquakes, hurricanes, waiting lines, empty Atm's, out of stock.

On 11/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, Shop mak said:

Thanks - yes been to Manilla once and understand - plus taxi drivers who won't use a meter (maybe understandable given the traffic).

Re AAA... comments I find Thai Visa has a mix of helpful, informative, pedantic, opinionated, agressive etc etc people. I thank those that help and inform and try to ignore the rest. Thanks again

I am looking into both the Philippines PRA and the MM2H (Malaysia) more closely - because of this 'impending' imposition of income taxes in Thailand - as per the latest posts on AN.  At the very least, if it is introduced without any exemptions and clarifications for Expats, we will all be required to 'report' where the money we move into Thailand is coming from and declare whether it is taxable or not according to Thai Tax Laws.  What chances will I have to convince Somchai in Thai RD that I dont have to pay income taxes in Thailand.  There are no 'agents' when dealing with the Thai RD, unlikje the corrupt Immi Police, and breaches of the RD rules means extremely harsh fines and jail (then deportation). 

Both PRA and MM2H are solid and reliable long term Visas, and although I have not completely re-examined each one in detail yet, the following is for both of them last time I cheked them out in detail (now doing it again).  No 90 Day Reporting.  No TM30s and/or TM28s. No needing to apply for 'Permission to Leave/Re-enter Certificate'.  No annual 'begging' application to stay another 12 months, with ever changing requirements and uncertainty. And a lot of other 'benefits' and 'rights' that are non-existent in Thailand.

The 'deposit' is either about the same or a bit more than what Thailand imposes, but you get bank interest, and you can use part of that money to buy a house or health insurance. Yes - you can after a period of time buy land/property. Yes - you can become a Resident - and Citizenship is an option. The Visas are automaticall renewed each year upon payment of a small fee. You get an ID Card and have legal rights (not treated like a 'dirty' Tourist). I am still going through the list of comparison, plus I am also looking at what is 'on offer' from other SEAsian countries - Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.  When I last checked things out Philippines is a bit like Thailand in terms of 'rough and ready' and Malaysia is more like Singapore in being more 'organised and structured'.

One thing I have noticed before and again now.  There are quite a few Expats who have moved from Thailand to Phillipines or Malaysia over the years, and there are SFA Expats who later move back to Thailand. When I say Expats I mean elderly retired men or women (single or married) over the age of 50 who dont live in a small hotel room and chase bar girls in Pattaya etc. (Sexpats).  Nothing wrong with that, but if Thailand does implement this income tax rule, and then maybe they should move reside there - and visit Thailand for less than 180 days each year and this avoid becoming a tax resident here.

The wife and I have already agreed (in fact she is adamant) - we will not pay income taxes in Thailand - period - we will leave.

Likewise we agreed a long time ago that we will not pay for those rip-off Thai health insurance policies. 

Both of those are 'show stoppers' for us. And if it all goes to sheeiite we will just move to Australia (as far away from Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne as possible - Darwin looks handy).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1