Overstaying by hours

Today is the last day of my visa (tourist visa+extension), and tomorrow early morning is my flight back to my home country.

I would like to seek some advice in regards to when exactly the immigration count the first day of overstay and stamp the "overstay-stamp" in the passport.

If I clear the immigration before or around 6 o'clock in the morning, will that count as overstay?

Anyone got similar experiences?

Thanks 🙏

If your flight departs after your visa (etc.) runs out, you will be on overstay for one day, no matter what time you pass through Immigration. No overstay charge for this "one day" if leaving via an airport. You will probably be ushered away to the overstay office to get an 'overstay' stamp, so better to plan for a bit more time.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6am next morning is next day as days run from 00:00 till 23:59

if you don’t want to overstay exit before 23:59 ON the day your extension is going to expire

As said one day overstay is not a major issue just don’t get caught on the way to the airport 

Edited by MJCM
  • Confused 2

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

It doesn't work like that. I thought so too; left well before midnight, but still got an 'overstay' stamp in my passport, cause my flight was scheduled for 2 a.m., or so, the next morning...

WHATT?"???????????

you are joking?

were you stamped out the day before? If so that is …….. 🤬

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That often would not work.

If boarding pass is required it's not possible to get airside that early

that is true, my flight out (NOT ON OVERSTAY WHATSOEVER) is at 2am but trying to get through immigration before 00:00. Check-in starts at 23:00 only

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

WHATT?"???????????

you are joking?

were you stamped out the day before? If so that is …….. 🤬

No, I'm not. Was stamped out before midnight. Still got the dreaded 'overstay' stamp, as, same as the OP's visa, mine expired only a few hours before my flight.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 2

Just now, MJCM said:

that is true, my flight out (NOT ON OVERSTAY WHATSOEVER) is at 2am but trying to get through immigration before 00:00. Check-in starts at 23:00 only

By all means report back.

When you go through passport control you present your boarding pass along with pp.

I suggest you will be stamped overstay

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

By all means report back.

When you go through passport control you present your boarding pass along with pp.

I suggest you will be stamped overstay

I am not the OP and when leaving I won’t be on overstay (as said in my post)

Yes. Not bad.

Just poor planning 

why is it poor planning? Just trying to make the most of your time in LoS but IO doesn’t see it that way (and you are still following the rules IMHO (leaving the country before your extension of stay is due))

Edited by MJCM
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, MJCM said:

why is it poor planning? Just trying to make the most of your time in LoS but IO doesn’t see it that way (and you are still following the rules IMHO (leaving the country before your extension of stay is due))

Wrong. 

The OP has been given solid advice from myself and others.

Move on. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

This was some years ago.

I overstayed because I counted the days wrong, I was one day overstay.

The officer in the kiosk directed me to a supervisor who was standing behind the row of kiosks.

She asked me why I overstayed and I said it was an error in counting the days.

She just handed me my passport and said "Safe travels", no scolding, no warning.

YMMV, but i think they are not trying to penalize 1 day overstays.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It doesn't work like that. I thought so too; left well before midnight, but still got an 'overstay' stamp in my passport, cause my flight was scheduled for 2 a.m., or so, the next morning...

I don"t understand, I had exactly the same stoty as yours. Except that the IMO stamped my pass with a big smile and no overstay, joking that I was lucky to be right on time at immigration despite my flight was 2 hours later rhe following day.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Moneyhonour said:

Here is the picture of my one day overstay

Could contain:

Yes this is what I've always understood. You definitely overstayed 1 day because uou miscounted days like a lot of people do, but they waive overstay fee of 500 baht and don't give an overstay stamp for 1 day

For people with 2am flight but pass through immigration with exit stamp same date as valid until stamp, they get nothing at all as they haven't overstayed 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess, for Immigration, you're not 'leaving' the country until your plane departs...

Even though your passport shows a stamp out departing Thailand? Your stamp is dated. That's extremely harsh if that is the case.

• Thumbs Up 2