Evictions In Thailand

JimTripper

How do evictions work in Thailand in a case where the tenant is lease compliant and the owner simply wants them out?

Do the police show up and ask to see rental receipts and the lease and make a decision based on that on site, or do they just say move out and settle it in court later? Or do the police not show at all unless they have a court order in hand?

* My landlord is acting strange as high season approaches and i have been getting a bad vibe that he may want to re-rent the place in high season for a higher rent and a new deposit.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 2

They can't kick you out on a valid lease when you pay on time and aren't disturbing the peace (they need proof for that).

They can "not renew" your lease depending on what your current contract says. Normally when your lease runs out and you don't sign a new contract, it will be a month's notice from either party.

The police have no say in this unless illegal things are happening.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

You may be worrying bout nothing. As a landlord I agree with the no police involvement until you do something illegal such as property damage as rent arrears if you had them would be a civil issue. 

From landlord side if he kicks you out he will have a void period while he shows the unit to perspective tenants and sorts out the lease and he may have to pay an agent 1 month to find someone so he needs to cover 1.5 to 2 months minimum so it’s hard for him to make my money unless he increases the rent by 15%.

The high season is all nonsense in most cities the rents don’t go up you just have more people looking you haven’t mentioned which city you are in my rental units are in Pattaya and there’s no movement on rents in high season only for short term rental.

I say all the above assuming you have a contract in place with the deposit no rent is up to date. Whenever renting always go through agents you don’t save much using  app like Facebook marketplace. Agents don’t cost the renter anything but give them some support.

55 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

You may be worrying bout nothing. As a landlord I agree with the no police involvement until you do something illegal such as property damage as rent arrears if you had them would be a civil issue. 

From landlord side if he kicks you out he will have a void period while he shows the unit to perspective tenants and sorts out the lease and he may have to pay an agent 1 month to find someone so he needs to cover 1.5 to 2 months minimum so it’s hard for him to make my money unless he increases the rent by 15%.

The high season is all nonsense in most cities the rents don’t go up you just have more people looking you haven’t mentioned which city you are in my rental units are in Pattaya and there’s no movement on rents in high season only for short term rental.

I say all the above assuming you have a contract in place with the deposit no rent is up to date. Whenever renting always go through agents you don’t save much using  app like Facebook marketplace. Agents don’t cost the renter anything but give them some support.

i hope so. not sure what his problem is. never heard from him, then when high season hit he wanted me to prove i had paid the rent since the beginning of the contract like he was never paid, and never said why. payments go into his personal account.

fortunately, i kept all the receipts so i could document payments. felt like he was looking for a lost receipt(s) as an excuse to keep the deposit and re-rent the place, but maybe he did not see the payments hitting his account, or did not know who they were from 🤷🏻‍♂️.