France records more than 1,000 antisemitic acts since 7 October, interior minister says

Social Media

image.png

France has witnessed more than a thousand antisemitic acts since the 7 October attack by Hamas in Israel, said the country’s interior minister.

Gérald Darmanin said 486 people, including 102 foreigners, have been arrested since the Israel-Hamas conflict in offences related to antisemitism.

The number of antisemitic acts has exploded,” Mr Darmanin told France 2 TV on S, warning foreigners their permits would be withdrawn for committing such acts.

“Any foreigner who commits anti-Semitic acts will have their residence permit withdrawn, placed in a detention center and expelled from the national territory,” Mr Darmanin said.

Israel began a bombing campaign on Gaza in the wake of an attack on southern Israel by Hamas on 7 October, in which 1,400 people were killed and 240 hostages were taken.

The retaliatory Israeli military offensive ramped up over the last week, with its forces surrounding Gaza city and conducting operations inside. More than 9,700 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza so far, two-thirds of them women and minors, Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry has said.

The increase in antisemitic acts in France has raised fears for the country with a Jewish population of over 500,000, the largest in Europe and the third biggest in the world after Israel and the US.

Mr Darmanin said he understood the “apprehension” of French Jews and added that all means are being deployed to protect them.

FULL STORY

independent.png

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

One of the problems with immigration. You don't only import the people, you import their beliefs and culture and some of it is not positive. In this case, the world's oldest hatred has been imported onto French streets. Similar story in Germany and the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/24/rise-in-antisemitism-brings-germans-back-to-most-horrific-times

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/oct/13/massive-increase-in-suspected-antisemitic-offences-in-london

If only someone had predicted this. Oh, wait a minute...

The world’s oldest hatred has not been imported, it always there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Well, it's true that the left have always been anti-semitic in the UK. The difference now is that huge swathes of immigrants share their views and could well vote them into power.

Scary times for Jews in the UK. This is London 2023, not Berlin in the 1930's.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67096327

image.png.ad311f64e9bce966c17d4dae57e77e6b.png 

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, it's true that the left have always been anti-semitic in the UK. The difference now is that huge swathes of immigrants share their views and could well vote them into power.

Scary times for Jews in the UK. This is London 2023, not Berlin in the 1930's.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67096327

image.png.ad311f64e9bce966c17d4dae57e77e6b.png 

Nothing like ranting about one hatred while desolating your own.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well that's true. Recently there was Jean-Marie Le Pen and his Nationalist Party. An, of course, to go a lot further back, the Dreyfus case. But, that said, the fact is that anti-semitic beliefs are now rife in most of the Muslim world  and that fact has to be faced.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing like ranting about one hatred while desolating your own.

Desolating? You mean demonstrating? Try to focus on quality of posts rather than quantity.

But yes I have nothing but disdain for anti-semites. You got me bang to rights on that one....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Indeed.

And now further augmented by the new crowd.

One doesn't cancel or contradict the other.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Morch said:

Indeed.

And now further augmented by the new crowd.

One doesn't cancel or contradict the other.

Nor does one provide cover for the centuries old anti-semitism ingrained in  a European society.

Recognize the customary leap to blaming immigrants for what it is.

• Confused 2

I think there are some elements that are missing in the OP :

1. A new law proposal/bill has been submitted by 16 senators with harsh punishments against what now is defined by law as "free speech" :

https://tvpworld.com/73868393/french-senators-propose-bill-to-make-zionism-criticism-a-criminal-offence

Quotes from link :

"The proposed bill, which was submitted for a first reading in the Senate, includes penalties for various offenses related to anti-Zionism. It seeks to punish those who deny the existence of the State of Israel with one year of imprisonment and a fine of EUR 45,000."

"Those who insult the State of Israel would face two years imprisonment and a fine of EUR 75,000, and those who directly provoke hatred or violence against the State of Israel with five years of imprisonment and a fine of EUR 100,000."

Edited by Thorgal
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nor does one provide cover for the centuries old anti-semitism ingrained in  a European society.

Recognize the customary leap to blaming immigrants for what it is.

I blame both.

My impression is that associated direct and severe violent cases are maybe more to do with immigrants, newly or not so newly arrived.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Morch said:

I blame both.

My impression is that associated direct and severe violent cases are maybe more to do with immigrants, newly or not so newly arrived.

I blame the actual individuals who perpetrate acts of antisemitism.

It leaves less room behind which to hide other hatreds.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I blame the actual individuals who perpetrate acts of antisemitism.

It leaves less room behind which to hide other hatreds.

If you wish to dissociate antisemitism form versions of underlying ideological/religious beliefs, we'll have to disagree.

I do not think most people perpetrating such actions do so without some reliance on a body of literature, opinions, preaching and so on.

Don't see how my posts had to do with hatred.

I don't jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon.

I'm also not burying my head in the sand.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

If you wish to dissociate antisemitism form versions of underlying ideological/religious beliefs, we'll have to disagree.

I do not think most people perpetrating such actions do so without some reliance on a body of literature, opinions, preaching and so on.

Don't see how my posts had to do with hatred.

I don't jump on the anti-immigration bandwagon.

I'm also not burying my head in the sand.

I do not.

I’m not accusing you of jumping on the anti immigrant ion bandwagon, my apologies if that is the impression I have given.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, you can rip into Yanks, Russkies, Brits and just about any other entity.  But leave the Israelis alone or you go to jail.

Once again, conflating anti-semitism with legitimate criticism of a government.

Nothing controversial about that. 

It's a proposal by a right-wing politician, not law.

I assume it was meant to be controversial.

Edited by Morch

On 11/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Social Media said:

France has witnessed more than a thousand antisemitic acts since the 7 October attack by Hamas in Israel, said the country’s interior minister.

What else did he expect when they have loads of already unhappy Muslims in the country and they see Macron sucking up to the guy that is responsible for bombing over 10,000 defenseless Muslims to death in Gaza.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What else did he expect when they have loads of already unhappy Muslims in the country and they see Macron sucking up to the guy that is responsible for bombing over 10,000 defenseless Muslims to death in Gaza.

Antisemitism, Violence Understandable, Says Poster.

Curious how there weren't French Jews burning mosques and all that, after 7/10.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Thorgal said:

I think there are some elements that are missing in the OP :

1. A new law proposal/bill has been submitted by 16 senators with harsh punishments against what now is defined by law as "free speech" :

https://tvpworld.com/73868393/french-senators-propose-bill-to-make-zionism-criticism-a-criminal-offence

Quotes from link :

"The proposed bill, which was submitted for a first reading in the Senate, includes penalties for various offenses related to anti-Zionism. It seeks to punish those who deny the existence of the State of Israel with one year of imprisonment and a fine of EUR 45,000."

"Those who insult the State of Israel would face two years imprisonment and a fine of EUR 75,000, and those who directly provoke hatred or violence against the State of Israel with five years of imprisonment and a fine of EUR 100,000."

Hopefully it doesn't come to anything, but it just goes to show how out of touch politicians are these days.

After all, what could possibly go wrong with a law like that after they imported loads of Muslims who were PO even before 7 10?

I wonder what the israelis have over the French government to make them even think of trying to get garbage like that made into law.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hopefully it doesn't come to anything, but it just goes to show how out of touch politicians are these days.

After all, what could possibly go wrong with a law like that after they imported loads of Muslims who were PO even before 7 10?

I wonder what the israelis have over the French government to make them even think of trying to get garbage like that made into law.

Putting aside the fact that it isn't the Israeli govt pushing for this to be enacted into law, but just 16 legislators, why would the Israelis need to hold anything over the French to enact an Israeli law? Confused much?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not the French government that is pushing this, but a right-wing politician.

Not too hard to understand the context if one isn't totally blinkered.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1