Kitten.

A temporary vaccine can be given after 6 weeks. 'Permanent' shot at 12 weeks or more. Annual boosters are suggested.

Most vets will give a combine FEV & cat flu shot , which will require a flu booster 4 weeks after the initial shot.

As a retired vet, I have become a bit slack here in Thailand. (Maybe because I am paying for it now 555)

My cat had primary vaccinations as a kitten - nothing since.

My dogs had primary Distemper,hepatitis,Parvo & Canine Cough shots, as well as Rabies vaccines. They have had nothing since. (2 years now). There are so many street dogs and cats around here, which would have had no vaccinations - and none of them get sick!!!  External parasites - ticks & fleas are the main issue here.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, G Rex said:

A temporary vaccine can be given after 6 weeks. 'Permanent' shot at 12 weeks or more. Annual boosters are suggested.

Most vets will give a combine FEV & cat flu shot , which will require a flu booster 4 weeks after the initial shot.

As a retired vet, I have become a bit slack here in Thailand. (Maybe because I am paying for it now 555)

My cat had primary vaccinations as a kitten - nothing since.

My dogs had primary Distemper,hepatitis,Parvo & Canine Cough shots, as well as Rabies vaccines. They have had nothing since. (2 years now). There are so many street dogs and cats around here, which would have had no vaccinations - and none of them get sick!!!  External parasites - ticks & fleas are the main issue here.

Actually some of the street dogs get rabies which is very much still endemic on Thailand (cats too but less frequent).

Parvo is also quite common here on dogs. 

I have seen epidemics of feline panleukopenia virus sweep through vilaages and wipe out the cat population (stray, quasi-stray and other, since many rural Thais do not immunize their pets). One year it was only my (vaccinated) cats out of several villages that did not get sick and die. 

Over the years I have taken in many strays. 2 of the cats had Feline leukemia (vaccine preventable) and one of the dogs had Parvo (ditto). 

There are many vaccine preventable diseases among street dogs and cats here. The ones one tends to see are the hardier ones that survived nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Actually some of the street dogs get rabies which is very much still endemic on Thailand (cats too but less frequent).

Parvo is also quite common here on dogs. 

I have seen epidemics of feline panleukopenia virus sweep through vilaages and wipe out the cat population (stray, quasi-stray and other, since many rural Thais do not immunize their pets). One year it was only my (vaccinated) cats out of several villages that did not get sick and die. 

Over the years I have taken in many strays. 2 of the cats had Feline leukemia (vaccine preventable) and one of the dogs had Parvo (ditto). 

There are many vaccine preventable diseases among street dogs and cats here. The ones one tends to see are the hardier ones that survived nonetheless. 

Interesting to read this information.

I think that I have just become very cynical (as opposed to clinical!)

In Australia, I vaccinated animals every day for over 35 years. All dogs were vaccinated against Distemper, despite the fact that the only case I ever saw was a dog with Old Dog Encepalitis in the UK in 1986!  My justification for vaccine recommendation was more to emphasise the need for annual health checks moreso than the health benefits of the vaccine itself. I was running a business - and needed bums on seats!

Edit:   I have never seen a case of Feline Panleukopaenia!  Australia/US/UK or here 

Edited by G Rex

1 minute ago, G Rex said:

Interesting to read this information.

I think that I have just become very cynical (as opposed to clinical!)

In Australia, I vaccinated animals every day for over 35 years. All dogs were vaccinated against Distemper, despite the fact that the only case I ever saw was a dog with Old Dog Encepalitis in the UK in 1986!  My justification for vaccine recommendation was more to emphasise the need for annual health checks moreso than the health benefits of the vaccine itself. I was running a business - and needed bums on seats!

These diseases are much more prevalent in Thailand than they would be in a developed country. Not least because a high percentage of animals are unvaccinated.

• Thumbs Up 1