Buddhist office turns to Thai Cyber Police over AI-generated Facebook content

webfact

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

This is actually a serious problem, begun years ago with Photoshop. Nothing we see now is necessarily real, and I see no positives in that at all. None. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we have to.

Humans are just not like that. We're hardwired for curiosity, even if it is fatal.

If it's possible, humans WILL do it, good or bad.

War has no good points either but it's been waged since the very beginning of intelligence in monkeys.

It's a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately it has brought us inevitably to the mess we find ourselves in now: a train wreck in slow motion. Might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride.

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

This is actually a serious problem, begun years ago with Photoshop. Nothing we see now is necessarily real, and I see no positives in that at all. None. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we have to.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess the Buddhism Office doesn't see it the way you do. But the problem is infinitely wider than this, isn't it. There is no certainly that any picture you see now is real. I find that very disturbing as that doesn't only apply to pictures such as these - which I think are excellent, by the way.

Because AI makes it possible to not only allow photos to be manipulated or generated by computers, but for someone else's voice to be used on any video, even to the extent of the speech being in a different language with the lips syncronised to fit. You can even have dead people talking and answering questions put to them. There was Johnny Cash 'singing' 'I'm a Barbie Girl'. Amusing, but not everyone would use the technology for fun. Whatever the human race invents, it quickly turns it to evil ends. Take social media, for example, and the huge numbers who mis-use it to send death threats and abuse to others. You could have Joe Biden saying that Vladimir Putin should be chased down and executed, with it looking entirely real.

I guess you're okay with all that, though. Either that, or you don't see the bigger picture.

There is no stopping the bigger picture now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

So having a bit of a laugh isn't a positive? A little satire here and there to lighten up otherwise serious issues? I see no harm in this, either intentional or indirectly. Life getting too complex for you in your old age? 

I don't think the issue is so much with these pictures, but with the ease of producing harmful misinformation.

As for the legality, I don't know. In Thailand the Computer Act, or whatever it's called can probably be used as it is in other cases of real or perceived harm.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not a problem at all.  I consider having to question all media a positive. Time to wake up.