What is a bogan?

bignok

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

A "bogan" is a slang term primarily used in Australia and New Zealand to describe a particular subculture or stereotype of people. Bogans are typically associated with working-class individuals or groups who are perceived as having a love for activities and interests that are often considered unsophisticated or lowbrow. Some common characteristics or stereotypes associated with bogans include:

1. Fashion: Bogans are often associated with a distinctive style of dress, which may include flannel shirts, mullet hairstyles, thongs (flip-flops), and clothing with bold or offensive graphics.
  2. Music: They may have a preference for rock and heavy metal music and may be seen wearing band t-shirts.
  3. Hobbies: Bogans are often associated with activities such as car racing, drinking beer, and barbecues.
  4. Language: They may use slang and have a particular way of speaking that is distinct from more formal or standard language.

It's important to note that the term "bogan" can be used pejoratively or humorously to stereotype a certain type of person, but it's not always meant to be derogatory. Like many stereotypes, it's a generalization and doesn't apply to all individuals who might be labeled as such. The concept of a "bogan" is similar to other cultural stereotypes in different parts of the world, such as "redneck" in the United States or "chav" in the United Kingdom.

When I was growing up in Sydney we called these guys 'westies'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:41 AM, bignok said:

This is a bogan

Could contain:

Actually, this guy would be classed as a bogan too. He won the 2022 British Open, and could buy and sell you and me both with the money he is making on the LIV golf circuit.

Could contain:

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/9/2023 at 10:15 AM, Lacessit said:

AFAIK the majority of bogans live in Queensland.

I would not restrict their vehicle choice to Holdens, any pickup weighing more than a couple of tonnes that towers over normal sedans is equally acceptable.

not quite. Most of Sydney's outer western suburbs is full of bogans.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:41 PM, bignok said:

This is a bogan

Could contain:

That was bogin in the nineties.

They grew into fat, bald men with a grey goatie and bad teeth, and riding a Harley with tassles on the handlebars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 6:46 PM, bignok said:

Here you go. If you like more than 25% you are bogan. More than 60% you mega bogan. Like 100% bogan of the century.

ACDC

Tattoos

Mag wheels

Holdens hotted up

Loud speakers

Swear a lot

Heavy cigs

Drink a lot

Racist

Homophobe

Bigoted in general

Bad haircut

Drink cheap whisky

Think all asians look the same

I always thought Bogans were Australian version of American "rednecks" Seems a bit different. Do bogans wear the name as a badge of honor? Our Rednecks do as they are not necessarily homophobes, racists, or even *Christians although they are nearly all GOP voters.

The primary identifying factor is the deep love of guns. Then hunting and fishing, beer, chewing tobacco more than smoking if even, large pick up trucks, and following College Football of Southern states.

So what is an eshay I just heard about other than young crims who hang around railway stations?

*I know Sikh and Pakistani rednecks who are more American than I will ever be. 

Edited by Captain Monday