looking for advice regarding airline compensation

BenStark

16 hours ago, NextG said:

Any reason why you didn’t check in online? 
I guess the lesson learnt is to check in online before you reach the airport or risk getting bumped. 

No reason. Traveling for 50 years never had this problem. I wrongly assumed since I paid in full in advance and tickets issued that I had a binding contract but I was wrong. It’s like all the air miles I accumulate and can rarely cash in cos the flights I select are supposedly fully booked. I will never fly Emirates again and they don’t give a <deleted> I know. 

21 hours ago, sateuk said:

Happened to me flight delayed in UK , so missed conection there was a dozen or so of us, we got a hotel plus food vouchers for the hotel, but no compensation as not airline fault there was a delay, this was 2 months ago Emirates were very good , hotel was fantastic, don't know why your friends didn't get a hotel

It is all about the circumstances, time of day etc, and there is not much detail.

I got stuck at Gatwickone time for 18 hours and it was an evolving situation.  We had arrived at around 8am and just after check in told there was a delay, estimated 3 hours. They gave us a £5 voucher for brunch which was grossly insufficient. As the day progressed the delay kept getting extended and then about 4pm told that the crew were out of hours and we couldn't leave until 4am. They then gave us vouchers for £20 each but when I got mine I overheard talk of an evening meal so I found a bar that would take the vouchers.  I was with my 14 year old son, he had coke, sandwiches and crisps and the rest went on beer. About 6.30pm we were then taken to the hotel and allocated rooms with an evening meal around 7.30pm. Many that had bought food with the vouchers didn't want the meal. We were woken up at 2am to get the transport to the aircraft. We hadn't been allowed our luggage, that had been left on the aircraft. I bought tee shirts and stuff at the airport but no allowance for that.

There was no statutory compensation as it was said that the delay in getting the spare part was outside the airlines control.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Hard to believe.

It happens. Had a similar issue with Qatar. 
First flight took off late, just about made it to the second one, but they wouldn’t let us board. Kept lying about the reasons such as not having any meals on board for us. Ridiculous, considering it was our scheduled connection. 
Of course they had to provide food and accommodation. 
When I claimed, they refused to pay, lying that it was a medical emergency. CAA challenged their assertion and they went quiet. Won’t ever fly with those scammers again. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It is all about the circumstances, time of day etc, and there is not much detail.

I got stuck at Gatwickone time for 18 hours and it was an evolving situation.  We had arrived at around 8am and just after check in told there was a delay, estimated 3 hours. They gave us a £5 voucher for brunch which was grossly insufficient. As the day progressed the delay kept getting extended and then about 4pm told that the crew were out of hours and we couldn't leave until 4am. They then gave us vouchers for £20 each but when I got mine I overheard talk of an evening meal so I found a bar that would take the vouchers.  I was with my 14 year old son, he had coke, sandwiches and crisps and the rest went on beer. About 6.30pm we were then taken to the hotel and allocated rooms with an evening meal around 7.30pm. Many that had bought food with the vouchers didn't want the meal. We were woken up at 2am to get the transport to the aircraft. We hadn't been allowed our luggage, that had been left on the aircraft. I bought tee shirts and stuff at the airport but no allowance for that.

There was no statutory compensation as it was said that the delay in getting the spare part was outside the airlines control.

Nothing to do with the time of day. Any delay getting the spare part is entirely the remit of the airline and does not free them of the obligation of 261/2004. Perhaps someone pulled the wool over your eyes?

Force Majeur and Medical Emergency are two possible get out clauses for them. Mechanical faults are not included. The fact that the spare part took too long is definitely not a ‘get out’ clause. 
Cited here:

BFBC4F37-577B-4221-945D-29867E1851F9.thumb.jpeg.f4324acc0d50711673ba66ea0faa7ca0.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passengers_Rights_Regulation

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nip said:

No reason. Traveling for 50 years never had this problem. I wrongly assumed since I paid in full in advance and tickets issued that I had a binding contract but I was wrong. It’s like all the air miles I accumulate and can rarely cash in cos the flights I select are supposedly fully booked. I will never fly Emirates again and they don’t give a <deleted> I know. 

You did have a binding contract. But that doesn’t include seat numbers. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Nip said:

It’s like all the air miles I accumulate and can rarely cash in cos the flights I select are supposedly fully booked.

Emirates Skywaards Miles can also be used on several partner airlines if that's an option for you.  I flew BKK-USM and back using them a few weeks ago.

20 hours ago, 7euner said:

Passengers have a right to compensation in many cases. It is important to know the reason for the delay. If it is weather (and not just claimed by the airline), there is little to do. But moving on and forgetting about it, is pretty stupid, if you are entitled to €600.

There is a ton of companies that can take this case for them. They work under a no compensation, no fee policy. Here is one I just googled:

https://www.airhelp.com/en-gb/

They might as well try this, if they do not want the trouble themselves!

The ‘trouble’ is a filled in template that they send off on your behalf. That’s it. Then sit back and wait for your money to come in so they can grab a substantial portion of it for themselves. If they airline refuses to pay, your tough luck and just the cost of sending an email or two for them. Of course if they have a bulk of passengers for that flight, they might decide to fight. But likely they haven’t so they won’t. 
Better to fill in the template yourself, since you’ll be doing most of the work gathering and sending them the documents anyway. Just another scam in itself. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Emirates Skywaards Miles can also be used on several partner airlines if that's an option for you.  I flew BKK-USM and back using them a few weeks ago.

Thank you good suggestion. 

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Yes good idea. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Nothing to do with the time of day. Any delay getting the spare part is entirely the remit of the airline and does not free them of the obligation of 261/2004. Perhaps someone pulled the wool over your eyes?

Force Majeur and Medical Emergency are two possible get out clauses for them. Mechanical faults are not included. The fact that the spare part took too long is definitely not a ‘get out’ clause. 

My comment regarding time of day was in response to a comment about a hotel, airlines do not talk about providing hotel accommodation to passengers early in the day. We were at the airport about 11 hours before anything was said.

It is a bit much to start talking about wool being pulled.  It was 2007 and 261 was still  being tested in court. IAW with 261 the airline provided a written statement on why they were claiming "extraordinary circumstances". As far as I remember it was something to do with the part having to be flown in from Europe. They provided the name and address of the company concerned in respect of claims but I never went down that route.

In 2016 I took BA and a ticket agent to court when they tried to brand a cancellation as a reschedule. That one was settled out of court. Following a flight in 2019 I once again took BA to court over a delay, they blamed the weather but about 2 months previous rerouting had increased both outbound and inbound flight times by over an hour leaving only about 1 hour turnround in Bangkok. Unfortunately the pandemic struck and I baled out over the uncertainty surrounding travel. Last year I had a cancellation and that was a 3 separate claims, refund, expenses and compensation, no problem with the refund and expenses for my wife but they wouldn't pay her the compensation. That took a bit of sorting. This year I took Easyjet to Arbitration and they ruled in my favour.

I am not unfamiliar with airline compensation and how they try to dodge the responsibility.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My comment regarding time of day was in response to a comment about a hotel, airlines do not talk about providing hotel accommodation to passengers early in the day. We were at the airport about 11 hours before anything was said.

It is a bit much to start talking about wool being pulled.  It was 2007 and 261 was still  being tested in court. IAW with 261 the airline provided a written statement on why they were claiming "extraordinary circumstances". As far as I remember it was something to do with the part having to be flown in from Europe. They provided the name and address of the company concerned in respect of claims but I never went down that route.

In 2016 I took BA and a ticket agent to court when they tried to brand a cancellation as a reschedule. That one was settled out of court. Following a flight in 2019 I once again took BA to court over a delay, they blamed the weather but about 2 months previous rerouting had increased both outbound and inbound flight times by over an hour leaving only about 1 hour turnround in Bangkok. Unfortunately the pandemic struck and I baled out over the uncertainty surrounding travel. Last year I had a cancellation and that was a 3 separate claims, refund, expenses and compensation, no problem with the refund and expenses for my wife but they wouldn't pay her the compensation. That took a bit of sorting. This year I took Easyjet to Arbitration and they ruled in my favour.

I am not unfamiliar with airline compensation and how they try to dodge the responsibility.

Of course I can only respond to the information given. 2007 wasn’t mentioned. It’s not derogatory to state that someone was trying to trick you. In fact it was meant to be helpful. 😊

I’ve noted that some airlines are trying to play hardball these days. Lufthansa paid out immediately. Qatar just obfuscated and refused. 

• Confused 1

It is simply David and Goliath. You could have a lucky shot as David. But in general you will be depending on the carrier's goodwill. Forget proceeding it could cost you much more and be prepared to cope with the tons of paper filled with those little letters.

22 minutes ago, NextG said:

Of course I can only respond to the information given. 2007 wasn’t mentioned. It’s not derogatory to state that someone was trying to trick you. In fact it was meant to be helpful. 😊

I’ve noted that some airlines are trying to play hardball these days. Lufthansa paid out immediately. Qatar just obfuscated and refused. 

Suggesting to someone that the wool has been pulled is making certain assumptions, usually incorrect.

I used to fly with Qatar and some years ago got off loaded at Doha and rerouted via Paris.  Arrived in Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage.

I made a complaint and all I got in the envelope was a voucher for $250, not even a compliments slip, far less an apology. Never flown with them since.

41 minutes ago, vangrop said:

It is simply David and Goliath. You could have a lucky shot as David. But in general you will be depending on the carrier's goodwill. Forget proceeding it could cost you much more and be prepared to cope with the tons of paper filled with those little letters.

Nonsense….

19 hours ago, NextG said:

Qatar just obfuscated and refused.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

I used to fly with Qatar and some years ago got off loaded at Doha and rerouted via Paris.  Arrived in Manchester 6 hours late and no luggage.

I made a complaint and all I got in the envelope was a voucher for $250, not even a compliments slip, far less an apology. Never flown with them since.

I've made several claims over the years but only one with Qatar and it was settled with the 600 Euro equivalent compensation with no issues.  Different experience altogether.