Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

Just now, Mike Lister said:

That may not work, you may have to let word of mouth do the job. Previously banned members often use a new email address just to gain membership and then forget the password, er, at least that's what somebody told me, down the pub, you know how people talk.

They are welcome back! Just contact me or email Support and we will review and reinstate them, hoping that they actually read our much simplified Community Guidelines found here:

https://aseannow.com/terms/

• Like 2

Just now, TroubleandGrumpy said:

If Mods are not paid then that is an issue - in my experience some people who 'volunteer' to be 'boss' (unpaid) are on a power trip.

Yes, never let me volunteer/near the control panels of Forum Power. In place of a dark lord blah blah       I'm just saying

galadriel-lotr.gif

also can we change these notifications?   Several hamsters are running the wheel, standby for wit...

image.png.bef73ac352330ad4a49309c359ca6405.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

On the subject of blocking people in sixteen years on this forum I have only ever blocked three people.

Please add me - I would feel privileged  (that is not a real post)

That is the sort of post that gets some Mods knickers in a knot - especially when the recipient lodges a complaint and they are a person that has opposite political views to the Mod. If you know what I mean.  

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Yes, never let me volunteer/near the control panels of Forum Power. In place of a dark lord blah blah       I'm just saying

galadriel-lotr.gif

also can we change these notifications?   Several hamsters are running the wheel, standby for wit...

image.png.bef73ac352330ad4a49309c359ca6405.png

I like these yellowish live notifications. They are really increasing interactions and posts. Good for this community. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Currently, a handful of members create new topics in the Pub that are constant drivel, all about nothing.

Clearly took less than 30 seconds to write.

Then follows hostile banter, personal attacks, page after page.

This has been going on for some time already, and many members has commented on this.

These handful members who do nothing else than post drivel, should be on Full Moderation (moderator approved, before thread / post become visible).

Forums want traffic, preferable quality content that engage members and readers.

Not nonsense drivel that mostly result in flaming trolling, multiple personal attacks. Plenty of this now, and increasing.

Moderation is very complicated. Some other forum previously banned left and right for years, and lost many valuable quality members. 

Those forum become famous for banning. As a result, less new members, less traffic.

I believe that moderators should use Personal Message more often to warn individual members.

Then increasing posting holiday for members who already received and ignored formal warnings given in PM.

Some moderators are too strict, they've been moderator for too long.

Example, I wrote a post where I made a joke about myself with a image (old man with a walking cane) I am old and after surgery, I needed a walking cane. This was lost on moderator, and post removed by a certain mod that members consider 'extremely strict'.

Moderators should have a lifespan, as they become judgmental and over time some act too strict.

Other forums required a minimum of 2 mods to agree, before action was taken. Only Admins had the power to ban.

Luckily, some mods are excellent, balanced moderation, have a good sense of humor and make jokes with the members. 

The Handbook is Excellent read, and toxicity is on a all time high, currently.

Community Pub should be hidden from public view, and access only on request from members.

What one considers drivel others consider healthy dialogue  .  Relax   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Please add me - I would feel privileged  (that is not a real post)

That is the sort of post that gets some Mods knickers in a knot - especially when the recipient lodges a complaint and they are a person that has opposite political views to the Mod. If you know what I mean.  

Why would I want to block you?

42 minutes ago, Goat said:

They started getting popular when this forum started sinking, a lot of the big names went over there.

Then they gave the mods job to completley the wrong person, it went to his head, he banned anyone who didnt agree with him and he basically killed it.

Must have been a good joke:cheesy:

I believe Proton got banned for posting music in the music section. You got banned for a joke in the joke section. 

You are correct - where do you get your info - sounds exactly like what happened to me.

I left here and went there - I was tagged as a 'senior member' and invited to participate in the running of things.

When I questioned something, which was obviously the wrong way to go, I was shouted down.

I then pleaded my case to the owner and in response I was removed from the 'leadership'.

I stayed out of things and did not 'play' on any forums - then saw a few posts on AN and it looked 'better'.

I started posting about the impending income tax change by Thai RD, and aside from a few nutters it is OK.

IMO if someone says something you cannot abide with, then block them - dont report them like a nasty school kid/teenage girl.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

just ignore those members at this point and enjoy the rest of the good content that's on here, and there is plenty of good content, and there are plenty of members who are thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, and really have something to say.

Dont mention it mate - all good :biggrin:

24 minutes ago, ravip said:

I was suspended a couple of times for little things which I would never have imagined could be a problem.

Now I don't post certain things anymore because I don't want to be suspended again - and only for that reason.

Yes. Same happened to me too.

And me. I put up an amusing thread. Even one of the Mod team joined in with the banter. Suspended.

11 hours ago, george said:

An interesting insight about moderating a forum with toxicity and negativity. For members to read as well.

Enjoy your reading.

Your feedback is welcome!

I downloaded and read the file, since I have been moderating forums for over 20 years, some very toxic, and I would have welcomed some fresh insights into the problem.

But I found the document underwhelming.

Of 10 pages in total, there are 5 pages of content, but the font is very big, like when I was a student and lacked inspiration, lol.

Maybe it can serve as a short introduction for new moderators and new forum owners regarding the basics, making rules and the handful of tools they describe.

Other than that it doesn't bring any insights at all, and is seriously lacking in the tools department.

How to prevent bot registrations ?

How to place individual users on pre-moderation ?

How to prevent spam ?

How to use BHL / Blacklists / Spamcop ?

How to recognize multiple accounts and banned users coming back with new usernames ?

How to handle VPN / anonymizers / proxies / TOR ?

What are today's tools for permanent fingerprinting / persistent cookies against fraud ?

How to prevent phishing ?

Just to name a few issues.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

What is worrying about a certain clique of posters they will surround another poster like a pack of hyenas and keep snarling at him until they've had their pound of flesh.

Circle the wagons!

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, george said:

Thanks! 🙏🏼

Agree with 1, 2 and 4 in your post. I will check what improvements can be done in regards to ignoring member.

3) I disagree with you here. Emojis is a cornerstone and is very important for Social media to increase engagement and it accelerates traffic. Yes, some member are abusing the emojis. 

Emojis are fine.

Unfortunately, the anonymity brought in some abusers who seems to use them without any meaning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1