Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

1 minute ago, Wobblybob said:

How would you know when you have so many posters on ignore. Why we have an ignore button in the first place is a mystery to me, if you want to ignore another member just ignore them, the ignore button is being used as a get out of jail for free card when posters have lost the argument. It is childish!

Part of the issue is in the wording of your post...kinda sets the tone...... "when posters have lost the argument" ......there shouldn't be arguments; discussions/debates for sure but people shouldn't be looking for arguments (they are). This is a community internet forum - not a court of law.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Part of the issue is in the wording of your post...kinda sets the tone...... "when posters have lost the argument" ......there shouldn't be arguments; discussions/debates for sure but people shouldn't be looking for arguments (they are). This is a community internet forum - not a court of law.

Ignorance is not an opinion and deserves no respect other than being corrected politely.

• Haha 1

Just now, hotandsticky said:

Being a bit pedantic there h&s, if you don't mind me saying, don't take everything too literally.🥳

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I disagree, politeness and civility cost nothing. If posters can't express themselves without resorting to vulgarity they shouldn't be published in public forums.

Hygienist take on the "problem". As long as you don't insult people, you should be able to express yourself as you see fit. What matters is the protection of individuals' dignity.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, george said:

Use the report button and put people you don't like on ignore, like in Real Life, and Mods take care of the rest.

Only ever put one person on ignore In 21 years. I don't need a button to ignore the few usual suspects that I will not waste my time on.

Those to simply ignore are also well known to most of the members as well I would think?

2 hours ago, Lee65 said:

How about a better way for users to vote on a thread (or individual posts)?  For example Thumbs Up or Down - as with YouTube before it also became too controlling.  The ratio between these can be useful in deciding whether to bother with a thread or post.  Useful feedback also for those posting.

Actually, this voting idea is no good.  I take it back.

The Total Votes would be too low to yield a useful score.  (Which is also a reason the current 5-Star scheme is worthless.  Readers have no idea the number of votes counted and, anyway, that number would be too low to be meaningful.)

10 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think the owners of the forum need to decide what sort of forum they wish to operate. Some of the sub-forums on ASEAN Now are well-run, others are a free for all where anything goes. If you want this forum to be a place where people goof around and where topics with inane discussions are allowed, then keep doing what you're doing. If you want something a bit more serious, I really think the moderators need to be a bit more firm. Too many clowns dominate the forum these days, lowering the tone and ruining many threads.

too much moderation inconsistency, some get suspended for mentioning grammar mistakes, others not. a friend was suspended for writing 'plus ca change' because it's not english language, despite being a french phrase commonly used by native english speakers, as are many latin phrases, so the rule makes little sense.

this though is small fry compared to the proliferation of bigoted, sexist, homophobic, transphobic language and comments that are allowed here seemingly with immunity.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Yes, there are many clowns but some of the moderators are too strict and conservative….

Some will delete a post just because there was a meme or a giphy they didn’t understand.

Indeed, what's wrong with a meme?

No people younger than 50 will participate if there is a ban on memes.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just about any thread that is about Trump, and even some that are not are full of abuse and insults towards the man, usually without any discussion of the topic. If I were to report all the posters with absolutely vile language I'd get suspended for "abusing the report function". I did once report 3 for vile language and got suspended for "taking revenge". That particular mod seems to have departed though.

My standard response to Trump supporters is to ask whether they have donated to his campaign fund yet. You know, the funds he uses to pay the lawyers to defend himself from 91 indictments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I feel that it is safe to say if a person is topping 40 posts a day and they are not on house arrest, they need to get a life.

LOL. I used to do that during work time on the work computer, but I had to get cunning so the supervisor didn't notice.

I was doing a job that involved a lot of time waiting till something was needed ( I was a gofer ), so my work was not suffering. I just had to not get so engrossed in the topic that I didn't hear them telling me to go get something for them.

Actually that was when I spent most time on TVF. Outside work hours I was doing different stuff on my computer.

• Love It 1

46 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How is "misinformation" being judged now? Still getting suspensions and bans? A lot of things that were considered "misinformation" three or so years ago have turned out to be "informed" now. 

I gather "misinformation" is that which is outside the consensus reality.  Often, in some communities, a narrow definition which excludes many interesting, thought-provoking, leading edge ideas and info.

Edited by Lee65
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's equally annoying to be called a troll and stupid when one tries to introduce facts and data to solar and EV threads because supporters cannot countenance any negative information about their pet subject.

It's also dishonest ad hominem argument, attacking the poster instead of addressing the facts and data posted.

I'll discuss any topic with anyone.   But not repetitive false narratives.  Then you're simply trolling, and get ignored.   Since I read & replied to this, I reckon you haven't made it to that level yet :laugh:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Only ever put one person on ignore In 21 years. I don't need a button to ignore the few usual suspects that I will not waste my time on.

Those to simply ignore are also well known to most of the members as well I would think?

Those characters make it slightly more interesting, I only put stalkers on ignore, shame you can't block like Facebook 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Currently, a handful of members create new topics in the Pub that are constant drivel, all about nothing.

Clearly took less than 30 seconds to write.

Then follows hostile banter, personal attacks, page after page.

This has been going on for some time already, and many members has commented on this.

Surely, that is the whole point of the Pub!

Managed to post in 27 seconds!

• Like 1