Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The ones that amuse me are the ones that claim to know what I'm thinking, as if they are wired into my brain. Some of the things they say about me are incredible, not forgetting completely wrong. They could ask me if I think ......... about a certain subject, but they just make it up and post it like it's a fact.

I got called a bogan( nothing like one)

I was told I live in Isaan in middle of nowhere ( i dont)

I was called a teacher ( never been one)

Been called old (im 48)

Been called grumpty ( very kind)

People who names i cant recall said I was the worst of the worst (sorry but i never murdered anyone)

The internet is a weird place

22 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I was a mod at "that other Thai forum" for a while and had to resign for that very reason. The "older, more experienced mod" who was training me was an absolute goober. He was (and probably still is) that hall monitor on steroids.

Really? They say f this a lot. Totally allowed. Strange forum.

TA is the worst forum for moderation. A poster who has been there for 10 years can abuse people. Anyone new can't say anything.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Really? They say f this a lot. Totally allowed. Strange forum.

TA is the worst forum for moderation. A poster who has been there for 10 years can abuse people. Anyone new can't say anything.

Really? Shame...I feel like I missed the better part of the last 9 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Really? Shame...I feel like I missed the better part of the last 9 years.

The mods on the other forum favoured older posters no matter how bad their language was. Joke really. There are 2 guys there I reckon would be the weakest people in real life. Swearing online was there power kick.

15 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Currently, a handful of members create new topics in the Pub that are constant drivel, all about nothing.

Clearly took less than 30 seconds to write.

Then follows hostile banter, personal attacks, page after page.

This has been going on for some time already, and many members has commented on this.

These handful members who do nothing else than post drivel, should be on Full Moderation (moderator approved, before thread / post become visible).

Forums want traffic, preferable quality content that engage members and readers.

Not nonsense drivel that mostly result in flaming trolling, multiple personal attacks. Plenty of this now, and increasing.

Moderation is very complicated. Some other forum previously banned left and right for years, and lost many valuable quality members. 

Those forum become famous for banning. As a result, less new members, less traffic.

I believe that moderators should use Personal Message more often to warn individual members.

Then increasing posting holiday for members who already received and ignored formal warnings given in PM.

Some moderators are too strict, they've been moderator for too long.

Example, I wrote a post where I made a joke about myself with a image (old man with a walking cane) I am old and after surgery, I needed a walking cane. This was lost on moderator, and post removed by a certain mod that members consider 'extremely strict'.

Moderators should have a lifespan, as they become judgmental and over time some act too strict.

Other forums required a minimum of 2 mods to agree, before action was taken. Only Admins had the power to ban.

Luckily, some mods are excellent, balanced moderation, have a good sense of humor and make jokes with the members. 

The Handbook is Excellent read, and toxicity is on a all time high, currently.

Community Pub should be hidden from public view, and access only on request from members.

I wholly disagree with what you say and will contend to the death for your right to say it.
-attributed to Voltaire

That's where I personally stand when I hear calls to limit the speech of other OPs. 

I don't hang out in The Pub but occasionally will see a post in the "Most recent Topics and Popular Now" columns and click to take a look.  Yeah, sometimes it drivel, other times something timely and of interest, or funny, or uplifting.  But honestly, one man's drivel is another man's whine wine (maybe that pun's intended, maybe it's not).  :whistling:

So I want to see it all.  "Good," "bad," and otherwise.  I'll decide what I wish to read and comment on and what to let slide.  And if I really don't want to deal with another member's comments and attitude and opinions?
I place them in my Ignore List.  And I do ignore them.
As long as the posts are within the community guidelines, I don't have an issue.  Even those who's opinions I completely disagree with and who have, over time, been relegated to my "Ignore List."  I'll fight for their right to say what they say (metaphorically speaking) even if I personally can't stand them.

Bottom line - no one is forcing anyone else to either read or participate in this forum.  And I detest censorship in most all of it's forms.  The rules of what may and may not be posted on this forum are clear and fair warning, and I have no problem with those rules being enforced.  Adding rules to limit the content of another poster's opinions simply because you don't agree with it, or you don't think it is relevant,  or think it is drivel?  That I would have a problem with.
As I stated - I detest censorship.

This is a wonderful forum and a real plus to the expat community.  I'd hate to see it diluted.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't recall the post either, but lithium is very abundant, but anti EV'er continue to state otherwise.

On that thread, the only time seawater is mention is by you.   So I can neither confirm nor deny, I ever stated such :laugh:

Let my fingers do some more searching, and check if I'm mistaken.

edit: that didn't show any results.  You may have me confused with someone else.

Lithium is abundant - in the ground. There are not enough mines to meet demand for the next decade. Each mine takes about 7 years on average to prove up ore reserves, then build the infrastructure.

I am reasonably sure it was you who made the post re extracting lithium from seawater. If not you, another EV supporter.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

I wholly disagree with what you say and will contend to the death for your right to say it.
-attributed to Voltaire

That's where I personally stand when I hear calls to limit the speech of other OPs. 

I don't hang out in The Pub but occasionally will see a post in the "Most recent" column and click to take a look.  Yeah, sometimes it drivel, other times something timely and of interest.  But honestly, one man's drivel is another man's wine (maybe that pun's intended).  :whistling:

So I want to see it all.  "Good," "bad," and otherwise.  I'll decide what I wish to read and comment on and what to let slide.  And if I really don't want to deal with another member's comments and attitude?
I place them in my ignore list.  As long as the posts are within the community guidelines, I don't have an issue.  Even those who's opinions I completely disagree with and who have, over time, been relegated to my "Ignore List." 

Bottom line - no one is forcing anyone else to either read or participate in this forum.  And I detest censorship in most all of it's forms.  The rules of what may and may not be posted on this forum are clear and fair warning, and I have no problem with those rules being enforced.  Adding rules to limit the content of another poster's opinions simply because you don't agree with it, or you don't think it is relevant,  or think it is drivel?  That I would have a problem with. As I stated - I detest censorship.

This is a wonderful forum and a real plus to the expat community.  I'd hate to see it diluted.

I wouldnt die for free speech though. It doesnt really exist.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Lithium is abundant - in the ground. There are not enough mines to meet demand for the next decade. Each mine takes about 7 years on average to prove up ore reserves, then build the infrastructure.

I am reasonably sure it was you who made the post re extracting lithium from seawater. If not you, another EV supporter.

Lithium price has tanked the last 12 months. They are building mines everywhere.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

I got called a bogan( nothing like one)

I was told I live in Isaan in middle of nowhere ( i dont)

I was called a teacher ( never been one)

Been called old (im 48)

Been called grumpty ( very kind)

People who names i cant recall said I was the worst of the worst (sorry but i never murdered anyone)

The internet is a weird place

I've been called an "anti-vaxxer."  <laughs> 

My biggest complaint is that the mods let bickering and fighting take over a topic.  

My 2nd is when people obviously post without reading the related article.  Three times of that should be a perm ban.

And the mod who put me in jail for spelling the  sexual predator, indicted felon, and ex president of the USA's name with a small t and big R should be fired. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

How far it goes, a moderator is moderating you, as on HIS own thinking of what you write, think.

He doesnt like it , so off it goes, leaving you flabbergasted. Maybe he is making a list, or it it is done automatic and you are

in more moderation then ever before.

It doesnt happen that much with me, but it has happened. Then just a little joking, is not appreciated and moderated.

AI check in moderation, also such a thing and probably is happening now also with AN, like George said.

Yahoo news also have and very quick you get messages like "cant place not according rules"

You are thinking wtf, i do need those words to make comment and then you have to send to moderator ((person, I guess) and will decide and on HIS way of thinking, it is ok or not. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, george said:

An interesting insight about moderating a forum with toxicity and negativity. For members to read as well.

Enjoy your reading.

Your feedback is welcome!

I personally don't view this as a "toxic" forum.  There are occasional dust-ups, but the mods do keep it civil. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, george said:

Wow! Thanks a lot for the early feedback on this.

I’m following this topic with great interest as we have actually radically changed how moderation has changed to the better during the last 3 months or so.

If you haven’t noticed the changes I’ll be  happy to discuss more about this, but in the meantime keep posting your ideas here. On mobile right now with fat fingers.

🙏

Yeah bringing in  words  like "community standards" has really swung it for me. Outta  here 

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

too much moderation inconsistency, some get suspended for mentioning grammar mistakes, others not. a friend was suspended for writing 'plus ca change' because it's not english language, despite being a french phrase commonly used by native english speakers, as are many latin phrases, so the rule makes little sense.

this though is small fry compared to the proliferation of bigoted, sexist, homophobic, transphobic language and comments that are allowed here seemingly with immunity.

Honestly the " fill in the blank"...phobic posters need to be seriously moderated. Some ( especially one) poster can barely make a comment without spewing something " phobic". Not meant to be an attack on you because I never read a post of yours before but making points with ...phobic are weak and lack any thought or creativity. Nuff said. 
On a side note very sorry to hear about Ubon Joe's passing ( on this thread) had to be one of the most patient people I've never met. RIP

Edited by alex8912

39 minutes ago, connda said:

Bottom line - no one is forcing anyone else to either read or participate in this forum.  And I detest censorship in most all of it's forms.  The rules of what may and may not be posted on this forum are clear and fair warning, and I have no problem with those rules being enforced.  Adding rules to limit the content of another poster's opinions simply because you don't agree with it, or you don't think it is relevant,  or think it is drivel?  That I would have a problem with.
As I stated - I detest censorship.

+1, censoring individuals harmless personal views and opinions short of verbal abuse and threats, is nothing more than an attempt of thought formation. Though maintaining civility should be paramount, losing composure over others ideas is a bit silly, though it does have its entertainment value at times. If one doesn’t like what they read, then just move on to something else, sorta like reading the newspaper or a television program, just move on.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been threatened with a permanent ban previously, for using robust language in argument. I have never been one to suffer fools gladly. IIRC, I have had about half a dozen posting holidays.

IMO if there is evidence of threats, or persistent stalking by another poster, that should be grounds for a suspension or ban.

I also lose patience with posters who put the same arguments or data on a thread multiple times, as if that gives them greater validity.

Say your piece, most of us can comprehend what's posted the first time.

When a thread descends into bickering, I am out of there.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I disagree with you, and more than a few sites that disagree with with your numbers, reserves and time to get mines up & running.   Do agree, plenty of lithium, but a bit slow mining it at this time.  Even that site is dated, as didn't see the USA reserve listed, largest in the world, recently found.  Surely other sites will agree or disagree with us.

But we're way off topic.

With that .. PEACE OUT

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have been threatened with a permanent ban previously, for using robust language in argument. I have never been one to suffer fools gladly. IIRC, I have had about half a dozen posting holidays.

IMO if there is evidence of threats, or persistent stalking by another poster, that should be grounds for a suspension or ban.

I also lose patience with posters who put the same arguments or data on a thread, as if that gives them greater validity.

Say your piece, most of us can comprehend what's posted the first time.

When a thread descends into bickering, I am out of there.

Pity, you were almost there with the lithium thing, again....

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I disagree with you, and more than a few sites that disagree with with your numbers, reserves and time to get mines up & running.   Do agree, plenty of lithium, but a bit slow mining it at this time.  Even that site is dated, as didn't see the USA reserve listed, largest in the world, recently found.  Surely other sites will agree or disagree with us.

But we're way off topic.

With that .. PEACE OUT

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1297832/global-average-lead-times-for-mineral-resources-from-discovery-to-production/

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I completely agree there are several people who keep boasting nearly every day, and their posts are absolute drivel, no content, no thought put into them, I want to be seen and heard so guys please reply, those kind of posts.

I just ignore those members at this point and enjoy the rest of the good content that's on here, and there is plenty of good content, and there are plenty of members who are thoughtful, intelligent, articulate, and really have something to say. That's what I focus on, the rest of the stuff like any other form of social media I just ignore. Water off a duck's back. 

Exactly.  :thumbsup: