Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Some posters would end up debating with themselves as they have half the forum on ignore, maybe if you cannot handle the truth or criticism a public forum is not the place for you.🥴

So you want people to abuse each other? That's what happens if you allow stalking and trolling.

On the other forum there's a lot of that. I don't care either way as long as it's consistent.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Currently, a handful of members create new topics in the Pub that are constant drivel, all about nothing.

Clearly took less than 30 seconds to write.

Then follows hostile banter, personal attacks, page after page.

This has been going on for some time already, and many members has commented on this.

These handful members who do nothing else than post drivel, should be on Full Moderation (moderator approved, before thread / post become visible).

Forums want traffic, preferable quality content that engage members and readers.

Not nonsense drivel that mostly result in flaming trolling, multiple personal attacks. Plenty of this now, and increasing.

Moderation is very complicated. Some other forum previously banned left and right for years, and lost many valuable quality members. 

Those forum become famous for banning. As a result, less new members, less traffic.

I believe that moderators should use Personal Message more often to warn individual members.

Then increasing posting holiday for members who already received and ignored formal warnings given in PM.

Some moderators are too strict, they've been moderator for too long.

Example, I wrote a post where I made a joke about myself with a image (old man with a walking cane) I am old and after surgery, I needed a walking cane. This was lost on moderator, and post removed by a certain mod that members consider 'extremely strict'.

Moderators should have a lifespan, as they become judgmental and over time some act too strict.

Other forums required a minimum of 2 mods to agree, before action was taken. Only Admins had the power to ban.

Luckily, some mods are excellent, balanced moderation, have a good sense of humor and make jokes with the members. 

The Handbook is Excellent read, and toxicity is on a all time high, currently.

Community Pub should be hidden from public view, and access only on request from members.

Well written, very helpful, thanks.

2 minutes ago, george said:

Don't be rude, comments like this is not welcome here. Give us some positive posts instead and don't insult my team. Thanks!

With a few exceptions, Mods and Admins are volunteers that want to give back a bit to society.

You are cool, George! :thumbsup:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

MORE moderation will only bring more problems.

How about a better way for users to vote on a thread (or individual posts)?  For example Thumbs Up or Down - as with YouTube before it also became too controlling.  The ratio between these can be useful in deciding whether to bother with a thread or post.  Useful feedback also for those posting.

How about a better way for users to vote on a thread (or individual posts)? For example Thumbs Up or Down - as with YouTube before it also became too controlling. The ratio between these can be useful in deciding whether to bother with a thread or post. Useful feedback also for those posting.

Edited by Lee65
part of my post went missing!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

MORE moderation will only bring more problems.

How about a better way for users to vote on a thread (or individual posts)?  For example Thumbs Up or Down - as with YouTube before it also became too controlling.  The ratio between these can be useful in deciding whether to bother with a thread or post.  Useful feedback also for those posting.

How about a better way for users to vote on a thread (or individual posts)? For example Thumbs Up or Down - as with YouTube before it also became too controlling. The ratio between these can be useful in deciding whether to bother with a thread or post. Useful feedback also for those posting.

Great idea if one believes mob rule and ganging up on an individual on a thread that may overly populated with “stalkers”

• Like 1