Martial arts

georgegeorgia

Now I have been doing bodybuilding/weights for years , I'm 62 but I'm still relatively fit doing gym sometimes twice a day now I'm getting bored with weights I want to learn some kind of fighting and will be going back to Pattaya next February for 8 weeks

Last time I was there in September I just trained at the gym with weights no fighting stuff 

Apparently there is one called Rage or similar,who will take me for 8 weeks to learn ?

I'm not really interested in Muay Thai ,I want to learn boxing and or  BJJ 

Is there any boxing only or BJJ in Pattaya?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

Well, you are 62 and doesn't sound like you've ever studied MA before.  One big issue with real MAs, whether grappling or full contact, is that you'll do a lot of falling.

At your age, it's too late to learn how to properly fall, as your bone structure has not been built-up, and you don't have the flexibility & reflexes.

To put it bluntly, if you fall a lot, especially with a sparring partner landing on you, you'll break bones -wrist, ankle, hip, injure your spine, or worse, you'll hit your head and die.  Yes, die.

If you want to learn an applicable martial art, I suggest something like cane-fighting where you learn to beat on people with a cane (or umbrella), including learn control techniques, and throws.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Well, you are 62 and doesn't sound like you've ever studied MA before.  One big issue with real MAs, whether grappling or full contact, is that you'll do a lot of falling.

At your age, it's too late to learn how to properly fall, as your bone structure has not been built-up, and you don't have the flexibility & reflexes.

To put it bluntly, if you fall a lot, especially with a sparring partner landing on you, you'll break bones -wrist, ankle, hip, injure your spine, or worse, you'll hit your head and die.  Yes, die.

If you want to learn an applicable martial art, I suggest something like cane-fighting where you learn to beat on people with a cane (or umbrella), including learn control techniques, and throws.

That’s why I suggested alternatives to him. 

For him to find what suits him best. 
His first ‘mistake’ is wanting to learn how to fight. Better he learns how to play…

In the beginning martial arts class, they will also teach you how to fall so you don’t injure yourself but at your age, I’d be very skeptical that the first time you fell it probably break your hip or something I would stick to something that doesn’t involve falling course in boxing if you got hit really hard and you fell to the ground you could break your arm or whatever I would think there’s over two times before thinking about starting at your age of 62 to be involved in martial arts TIT 

It's one thing to be physically fit. It's an entirely different kettle of fish to be flexible, fast and with quick reflexes. That's why boxers and tennis players are mostly washed up in their thirties.

As other posters have noted, learning how to breakfall is an essential first step in martial arts. It is tough enough for guys in their twenties.

As a first step, I would suggest using the internet to check your reaction time to a visual stimulus. If it is slower than 0.25 seconds, forget it.

Bear in mind any injury incurred may be quite expensive to fix in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Injuries from BJJ are some of the most frequently treated injuries by doctors.

I've done mat work in the past.  If you had started 10+ years ago it probably would not be an issue.  At 62?  I'd rethink it.  You get slammed into a mat at 62 you may regret it.

Krav Maga may be a better choice as it is defensive and combines MMA with self-defense.

I believe Combat Group Thailand Pattaya offers MMA, BJJ, and Krav Maga. 

Another choice (if you're not a Russia-phobe) is Systema.  Look it up on Youtube and check out videos.  I believe there is a Systema group in Pattaya.  That would be my own choice after 60 years old.
Some of the best self-defense is situational awareness and knowing what to look for and how to avoid confrontations before they begin.  With Systema the idea is to avoid the situation, but if engaged, strike or counter-strike and then get out of the situation asap.  Look into it.  I'd suggest it a better fit for older gents like yourself.  When you get to be another 10 years older, like myself, trust me, you don't want to throw-down with anyone.  It's a losing game.  Even if you have had past martial arts training.  Age takes its toll.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I have a friend that took up Tae Kwon Do in his late 50, he ended up tearing the ligaments in his knee (ACL) and needed surgery.  I'll stick with weights and aerobic training.

Hi George, I'm your age and thinking along the same lines.  I did study martial arts for many years (20 years ago) and thinkng of dipping my toes back in the water.  As some of the other posters have said,  I would avoid BJJ/MMA at our age, it's just brutal on the joints.  I was young and fit when I trained in the 90's (before it became so douchey) and it was painful to say the least.  I'm leaning towards boxing too.  Bag work, conditioning, pad work, shadow boxing is all great exercise.  A well run martial arts school could work too.  Not everyone who walks through the door is a fit 20-something.  If on day one the training involves getting slammed to the ground or sparring for your life with some tatooed thug, find another school!  

And another thing.  My old sensei said if the school/instructors you talk to claim they have the 'best sytem/school/teachers in the world', find another place fast!  Every style/school/system/teacher has something to offer.

• Thanks 1