"Social Security" for Thais. A question.

swissie

On 11/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, swissie said:

High time we talk about "Thai Social Seccurity", I find.

Correct me if I am wrong : Thai governement emplyees receive retirement benefits or folks working for international companies. All other "Thai Old Mortals" got 600 Bht/month so far.

Again: A good time to generally look at "Thai Social Security" at this time, it may even affect Farangs, having married into a large (mostly elderly) Thai Family.

It's compulsory for all full-time employees, Thai and Foreigners, to join the Social Security Fund (SSF). There are some exemptions, for foreigners e.g. specific types of teachers.

The employer is responsible:

- To promptly enrol the employee with the SSF.

- To deduct the appropriate amount (5% but with a maximum of 7%) from the salary and the employer must match that amount.

- Employer must send the total funds to the SSF by mid of following month.

- If the employee changes jobs the new employer is responsible to continue the deductions process using he same SSF member number.

Members are entitled to:

- on retirement or leaving Thailand, claim a refund of all member contributions, or claim a lifetime pension.

- Injury and Sickness benefits, the member (thai and Foreigners must at time of joining nominate a hospital of their choice (from a long list), can change the hospital once a year.

- At retirement the member is entitled to claim a refund of member contributions and is entitled to continue their Injury and Sickness benefits for life by changing to the 'Voluntary Insurance' system. Meaning the member now pays their monthly member contributions (432Baht) direct to the SSF each month for life by deposit at a Thai bank or by internet banking.  NOTES:

• 1. As above at retirement the member can claim a refund of their member contributions or claim a pension.
  • 2. At retirement the member has six months to advise the SSF if they wish to continue their Injury and Sickness benefits by changing to voluntary Insurance. This applies regardless of whether the member takes a refund of contributions or takes a pension.

- Also,  there's type of unemployment benefit.

- And a funeral benefit payable to the family.

This is all covered in the Thailand Social Security Fund Act (see attachment). (Article 39 is specific to the six months to decide whether to continue Injury and Sickness benefits.)

The SSF maintains the 1506 direct hotline, with Thai speaking and English speaking staff. If you call they are very helpful. Sometimes the English language option doesn't connect because they don't have an English speaking staff member available on that day / at that time. If this happens call back later or the next day. Easy enough. Always good listeners, always clear answers, no push to finish the call quickly.

As mentioned by other members there are other funds with different purpose / different entitlements.

SOCIAL_SECURITY_ACT_2533_SSO_1...3.pdf

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 2

On 11/15/2023 at 12:05 PM, jumbo said:

I am just playing around with a thought,  If someone makes 250,000 thb it means at 5% 12,500 thb which is somewhat high, maybe a gradual rate downwards and a maximum

Employers would not have to provide additional health cover, as mine did/does, they could involve more private hospitals to accept the card... even make it mandatory given the oath doctors take

Like I said, just  a thought and absolutely nothing else

social security contributions is calculated from the capped maximum income of 15,000 per month, that works out to 750baht only,

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:59 PM, LukKrueng said:

I don't know how long ago this has been established, but more than a couple of years ago. It has nothing to do with economical status or earning, every Thai citizen between the ages of 60-69 get 600 Baht\month. From 70-79 they get 700, 80 and over they get 800\month (I think that's as high as it gets, but not sure).

There were talks on changing the system that from now on only poor and very low income citizens will get it, but all those that are already on the system will continue to get it as before.

I understand from my GF a Thai who gets to 90 hits the jackpot - 1000 baht/month.

23 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

In my rural village it is the same. Money paid out from a village fund when someone dies, as long as someone has been paying the dues. Rather than a specific payment each month, payments are made and collected, each time an insured member dies..

Exactly the same here.

So what exactly are the SS benefits that a qualifying and contributing person can claim? Just curious. I doubt  anyone in my Thai family qualifiies. Subsistence farmers, selling produce grown in our garden in local market, Mom & Pop shop now almost closed by too much new, modern, competition. But still no 7/11!

43 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So what exactly are the SS benefits that a qualifying and contributing person can claim? Just curious. I doubt  anyone in my Thai family qualifiies. Subsistence farmers, selling produce grown in our garden in local market, Mom & Pop shop now almost closed by too much new, modern, competition. But still no 7/11!

QUOTE:  "I doubt  anyone in my Thai family qualifies."

By law, all full-time Thai and foreigner employees have to join the Thai Social Security Fund.

The employer is responsible to start membership for new full-time employees and the employer is responsible to deduct member contributions (around 450+Baht) per month then employer must add the same amount and send all the member / employer contributions to the Thai Social Security Fund (SSF) by the middle of each month.

I think I've read there are some other specific categories of people who can join but that needs to be checked, but I do know membership is not available to all. 

When SSF contributing foreigners leave Thailand they can get a refund of their member contributions. 

The Thai SSF is governed by an act of parliament the Social security Fund Act. An English language copy is attached to this message. 

Keep in mind there's a couple of other funds which provide sickness benefits to basically all Thais but not to foreigners (e.g. the 30Baht health fund). 

SOCIAL_SECURITY_ACT_2533_SSO_1...3.pdf

On 11/12/2023 at 5:58 AM, bigt3116 said:

Wrong, any Thai or foreigner working for any company can be enrolled into the Social Security system.

It's compulsory for full-time Thai and foreign employees to join the Thai Social Security Fund.

A post just above this one gives a lot more details.

Edited by scorecard

On 11/15/2023 at 3:35 PM, Ralf001 said:

Current system works just fine.

One good point, (just my opinion) re the Social Security Fund is that you can continue your Injury and Sickness benefits for life after retirement by  transferring to SSF Voluntary Insurance system. Members pay 432Baht a month direct to the SSF (bank transfer the easiest).

Not as good as commercial health insurance, which has age limits, and is very expensive.

Last year 78 year old Dutch friend paid 13x,xxxBaht premium for lowest level of cover, for the final year the fund will accept him, cannot continue after this year.