Things to do in Korat

bignok

4 minutes ago, NONG CHOK said:

Being a guy who married a Korat lady 22 years ago I'd say the best thing in Korat is highway 304 ( Mitraphap Road ) which goes back to Bangkok.

Was going to suggest heading down to the Mercedes dealer and checking out the new Merc EV, it is stunning.

But I then seen your location as Pattaya.

Don't know if I'd make a special trip,

but if in the area (not the city/100 kms away):

Khai Yai Art Museum

Our snaps when in the area

23 kms from the Art Museum:  Alcidini Winery

Think they said February is harvest season, as when we were there, nothing really on the vines.  Some interesting wines; Raisin, and I picked up a few different bottles.  Have tasting (or did), but  charge 100 baht, which they credit toward your purchase.  Very nice family run place.

If that close, (2 hrs from Korat city) might as well pop down to Phanom Rung Hist Park, if haven't already.

Really didn't care for the city/Korat.  And yet to actually venture into Khao Yai Nat Park, though been through it a few times.

Edited by KhunLA

Actually the good lady and I float between our house in Nong Chok Bangkok and our condo in Pattaya. I showed more interest when we took my wifes only grand child on many national parks around Thailand. Now he's 24 yo so he makes his own fun. The only time I go to Korat now is for funerals and visit my wifes 2 brothers who are monks at the same wat.

• Like 1

Big Nok - plenty to do in Korat and plenty of good restaurants.

What do you do where you are now? If you are a golfer there are many courses around Korat.

I used to swim at the Korat Resort but many use the pool at The Mall - I'm assuming it's still open. Bung Ta Luah lake is great for biking or walking around a 3 km circuit.

Khao Yai and Wang Nam Kiew are not far away and make a good day out.

The 'Monkey Bar' has good food including Sunday roasts, the 'Tiger is coming' has a wide range of beers, 'Cafe Pitini' worth a visit as is 'Chez Andy'. More lively stuff abounds including Tawang Daeng.

And don't miss the local football team, The Swatcats at the 'Kings Stadium.

Sorry I don't live there now but plenty to do IMO

• Love It 1

Can you hook into amenable tarts up there? 

It's kind of like a crusty old salmon swimming upstream to spawn.  Plenty of spawned out Korat ladies in the bars of Pattaya, so maybe the fountain of young beauties is up at the headwaters. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Big Nok - plenty to do in Korat and plenty of good restaurants.

What do you do where you are now? If you are a golfer there are many courses around Korat.

I used to swim at the Korat Resort but many use the pool at The Mall - I'm assuming it's still open. Bung Ta Luah lake is great for biking or walking around a 3 km circuit.

Khao Yai and Wang Nam Kiew are not far away and make a good day out.

The 'Monkey Bar' has good food including Sunday roasts, the 'Tiger is coming' has a wide range of beers, 'Cafe Pitini' worth a visit as is 'Chez Andy'. More lively stuff abounds including Tawang Daeng.

And don't miss the local football team, The Swatcats at the 'Kings Stadium.

Sorry I don't live there now but plenty to do IMO

Nice positive post

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Any cool restaurants or bars?

If you want a good night, stay away from the sleepy 'farang' bars.  There's quite a lot of good Thai bars and clubs around but you'd be much better with a local to show you where. I haven't been to the city for a while but last time I was there, I noticed a few new (to me) bars around the Soi Sueb Siri area - I wasn't alone so no chance to check them out.

Tawan Daeng is always a good night out - especially on your second tower.

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Can you hook into amenable tarts up there? 

It's kind of like a crusty old salmon swimming upstream to spawn.  Plenty of spawned out Korat ladies in the bars of Pattaya, so maybe the fountain of young beauties is up at the headwaters. 

Hmmm

Korat is one of the worst place I've been to.

Best place for me was the nearby 7/11.

Terminal 21 skydeck was a disappointment.

Markets are markets.

The 2 best ones are a few kilometers away from the city.

SaveOne and MBK.

Pain in the a$$ to reach.

I was staying at the Crystal Resort which was sort of ok but not great.

Korat is really a transit city - some sort of hub connecting Bangkok and Isaan.

Loads of cars, very noisy, very polluted.

Honestly even Phnom Penh is better :))

Edited by MrPancake
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MrPancake said:

Korat is one of the worst place I've been to.

Best place for me was the nearby 7/11.

Terminal 21 skydeck was a disappointment.

Markets are markets.

The 2 best ones are a few kilometers away from the city.

Pain in the a$$ to reach.

I was staying at the Crystal Resort which was sort of ok but not great.

Korat is really a transit city - some sort of hub connecting Bangkok and Isaan.

Loads of cars, very noisy, very polluted.

Honestly even Phnom Penh is better :))

Jim Carey likes Korat

• Haha 1

Mr Pancake - a reminder of the question which was basically, asking for helpful advice, "what do you recommend?" Yours a pathetic reply sorry to say.

You can have a great time in Korat if you try a little. Maybe not the best place for the 'beer at breakfast' people, (and I'm not knocking that).

I'm also thinking of a much smaller place on the east of the City - it might be 'Ban Korat' - can't remember. The legendary Heng Band are no more I think but try to catch On Facebook/YouTube, 'Thi Lod Hair'  - the greatest of showbands.

All you misery guts get out of your chair! Korat is OK !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Mr Pancake - a reminder of the question which was basically, asking for helpful advice, "what do you recommend?" Yours a pathetic reply sorry to say.

You can have a great time in Korat if you try a little. Maybe not the best place for the 'beer at breakfast' people, (and I'm not knocking that).

I'm also thinking of a much smaller place on the east of the City - it might be 'Ban Korat' - can't remember. The legendary Heng Band are no more I think but try to catch On Facebook/YouTube, 'Thi Lod Hair'  - the greatest of showbands.

All you misery guts get out of your chair! Korat is OK !!!

"Yeah there is a village but I don't remember the name and also a legendary band that is no more... Korat is ok".

At least what I'm writing makes sense. Korat sucks, period. You don't visit a city for its local Tawang Daeng lol

1 minute ago, MrPancake said:

"Yeah there is a village but I don't remember the name and also a legendary band that is no more... Korat is ok".

At least what I'm writing makes sense. Korat sucks, period. You don't visit a city for its local Tawang Daeng lol

Go to Siem Reap. Jim Carey just arrived.

Pancake how depressing it must be to be around you and your negativity. In your last silly post, the quote is from whom ?

The point is that wherever you are, Thailand or elsewhere, you can always find something to do if you are alive and kicking and not negative in your genes.

And the OP didn't ask for opinions about Korat, but about what there was to do. I and a few have offered ideas - you have just been a sh*t about it.

'Ban Korat' is a live music restaurant on the eastern side of Korat central - inside the inner ring road.

It's your replies that 'suck, period' . . . (not Korat).

Have a good day.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Pancake how depressing it must be to be around you and your negativity. In your last silly post, the quote is from whom ?

The point is that wherever you are, Thailand or elsewhere, you can always find something to do if you are alive and kicking and not negative in your genes.

And the OP didn't ask for opinions about Korat, but about what there was to do. I and a few have offered ideas - you have just been a sh*t about it.

'Ban Korat' is a live music restaurant on the eastern side of Korat central - inside the inner ring road.

It's your replies that 'suck, period' . . . (not Korat).

Have a good day.

You're offering ideas, I'm trying to save him time and money. I've been to Korat, I know the city and its surroundings. It sucks. Sure you can find things to do anywhere. But is it worth going there on vacation? Hello no. Nothing negative here, just a honest statement. As for the negativity, I'm not the one who started with ad hominem attacks so please :))

Pancake it's not clear If BigNok is going for a vacation, short or long, or a 'stay'. I lived in Korat for 5 years and had a great time so it's offensive for me to see Korat dismissed as 'sucks'. 'It sucks' is wholly negative and unhelpful too. No offence meant - I replied in your own terms. ATB

I still visit Korat regularly.

Have a good time in Korat BigNok. ATB too . . .

Edited by TorquayFan

22 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Pancake it's not clear If BigNok is going for a vacation, short or long, or a 'stay'. I lived in Korat for 5 years and had a great time so it's offensive for me to see Korat dismissed as 'sucks'. 'It sucks' is wholly negative and unhelpful too. No offence meant - I replied in your own terms. ATB

I still visit Korat regularly.

Have a good time in Korat BigNok. ATB too . . .

Bignok was in Pai a couple days ago.

So I'm pretty sure he ain't gonna settle in Korat now.

Gotta say I'm impressed. 5 years in Korat is crazy long. I was done after 5 days. Couldn't stand it anymore.

That said. Living there probably meant having local friends, a job, etc... So a completely different situation. I dunno for sure but my bet is that bignok will be on his own over there (or maybe with Jim Carrey but that a whole different story).

I assure you, no negativity on my part. I wish I could tell you how great I thought Korat was and I hope bignok is gonna have the time of his life. I just doubt it, that's all.

But hey! Will see. He might find a spouse there or something....