A Walk In The Himalayas

sabaijai

SPIRITUAL WALK IN THE HIMALAYAS- II (2004)

19th August to 1st September 2004

A two-week spiritual walk in the Himalayas to the source of river Ganga and the foothills of the Kalind Parvat, the source of the river Yamuna (Holy rivers of India) is being organised by Buddha Smiles – India with the co-ordination of Wongsanit Ashram – Siam (Thailand) from 19th August to 1st September, 2004. A special feature of this particular walk is that Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa will lead the walk from Gangotri to Gomuk, the source of river Ganga.

This journey will combine travel by bus from Rishikesh / Dehradun to Gangotri / Hanumanchatti and return to Rishikesh / Dehradun. The bus journey is only up to motorable base camps/villages and future distances will be covered by foot in the high Himalayas. In all likelihood we would be required to walk a minimum distance of 85 to 100 kilometres during this two-week journey. We will visit Yamunotri temple which is located at a height of 3,048 metres. First, we will trek from Hanumanchatti to Yamunotri. Then, we will trek from Gangotri (3,048 metres) to Gaumukh (3,892 metres) and further towards Tapavon (4,500 metres).

Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa will lead the walk from Gangotri to Gomuk, the source of river Ganga. Ajarn Sulak will join from 21st of August and stay on until the end of the programme. There will be silent walks and group meditations during this journey in the Himalayas.

This two-week programme will include visit to:

• Ancient Hindu temples at Uttarkashi.

• Tibetan monastries in Dehradun.

Suggested Contribution:

Baht 24,000 or USD 600/-

This includes food (Indian and Chinese vegetarian and includes western Breakfast if available), accommodation, transport and pony charges as the need may arise. The surplus from this contribution will be made available for the “Buddha Smiles” project for children (A programme for peace, education and development) and towards the building of a residential school for poor and orphaned children. If you want to know more about “Buddha Smiles” please write to Dr. Ramu Manivannan who is the founder and chairperson of this programme

PROGRAMME CALENDER:

18th August-------------------- Arrival in Delhi

19th August------------Departure to Rishikesh and night halt

20th August--------Departure to Janakichatti and night halt

21st August -----(7 +7)Trek towards Yamunotri and return

to Janakichatti for night halt

22nd August----------Departure to Uttarkashi and night halt

(Ajarn Sulak will join the team here)

23rd August---------Departure to Gangotri and night halt

24th August --------14 k.m. trek towards Gomuk and night

halt at a base camp 4 k.m. away from the

source of the river Ganga

25th August -------- (4 +4) Trek from base camp to Gomuk and

return for night halt. It is optional for the

participants to trek further 4+4 k.m. from

Gomuk to Tapavon and return by evening

Or the next morning

26th August-------- Group Process and Time for Reflection amid

the snow mountains and the river flowing by

27th August -------14 k.m. trek towards Gangotri and night halt

28th August -------Departure to Dehradun and night halt in

Deoprayag or Chamba(mid-way)

29th August ------Continue our journey towards Dehradun and

night halt in Dehradun

30th August ------Visit Buddhist temples and Tibetan

monasteries in Dehradun and enjoy

sulphur springs and arrive in Rishikesh for

night halt

31st August -----River Walking in Rishikesh up-along the river

Ganga and bath in forest springs

1st September ---Departure to Delhi

Departures from Delhi begin from 1st night

For More Details Contact:

Dr. Ramu Manivannan

Chairperson-BUDDHA SMILES

92B/1, Munirka Village

(Near Canara Bank)

JNU Post New Delhi- 110 067 India

e-mail: [email protected] , [email protected]

or

Mr. Somboon Chungprampree (Moo)

Wongsanit Ashram

P.O. Box 1, Ongkarak, Nakornnayok

26210 Siam(Thailand)

Tel: 66-37-333183-4, 66-1-8036442

e-mail: [email protected]

Web info

I went on a two-week meditation trek in Nepal back in 1999. It was a very moving experience. We went days without seeing cars. The Nepal people in the country seemed to look much happier than people back in the UK, despite having a difficult life.

I was much more impressed with the Buddhist Temples and Gompas than the Hindu Temples we saw. The Buddhist Temples had an air of tranquillity, whereas the Hindu temples were often used for sacrificing animals.

We visited a gompa high up in the mountains with prayer flags streaming out in all directions. When the sun shone in the right direction you could see the peaks of the Himalayas covered with snow in the distance. It was a very beautiful and moving experience.

The most memorable day was when we trekked for a day in total silence through a forest. This was the best holiday I have ever had.

If you got caught to those Maoist Insurgents while meditating, your story would have been totally different.

Not at all. The Maoists very politely ask the tourists for a small donation and write out a receipt which the tourists keeps and shows if they meet another band of Maoists. It's all very civilized. In fact these days trekkers feel very let down if they don't come across a group of Maoists. No problem - really. Remember I've been living there for the last two years.

There's something very special about a quiet, long-distance walk in the mountains, isn't there?

Yes. Some of the long-established walks in Japan are old pilgrimage paths dotted with stone statues of Amida, Kannon or Jizo, which gives them a special atmosphere.

There's something very special about a quiet, long-distance walk in the mountains, isn't there?

Yes. Some of the long-established walks in Japan are old pilgrimage paths dotted with stone statues of Amida, Kannon or Jizo, which gives them a special atmosphere.

This is interesting. What kind of a walking distance you guys are talking here?

Did you'll went with tour groups or alone?

This is interesting. What kind of a walking distance you guys are talking here?

Did you'll went with tour groups or alone?

The longest one I've done was 8km, which took about 3 hours. I went alone and only saw 2 other people on the way. The problem in Japan is there are no signs in English and no one speaks English.

There are shorter walks which just go up to a mountain temple and back down again, with no chance of getting lost.

You are lucky. If you got caught to those Maoist Insurgents while meditating, your story would have been totally different.  :o

No they are quite decent - those Maoists. They really dont bother you, unless you make some stupid out-of-context comments. Then they cut your nuts off and feed them to their pet llamas. :D

This was the best holiday I have ever had.

Make sure the Thai ajarn has experience walking in high altitudes, otherwise you might be in for a surprise. Thailand is not a country of mountaineers and walking in high altitudes is surely not sanook...

Make sure the Thai ajarn has experience walking in high altitudes, otherwise you might be in for a surprise. Thailand is not a country of mountaineers and walking in high altitudes is surely not sanook...

Actually that's not the problem. I have been on pilgrimage to Rishikesh (yeh I know it's a Hindu pilgrimage centre and I'm Buddhist but I'm quite 'open') and I know the sites on this pilgrimage route.

The places are not high enough to give anyone altitude sickness (unlike the Nepalese Himalayas) but compared to Thailand they are extremely cold, and at places quite steep. It astonises me how I'm stopping to gasp and wheeze and old grannies nimbly skip past me. The centres on this route are mostly a bit beyond the termina of motor transport - the schedule states some walks of 4 km+ and one of 14km+ - some of these walks will be quite steep but the paths are well established.

I always go on pilgrimages freelance due to cost (and it is my wont to be super-ascetic on pilgrimage, sleeping rough etc.0 and I like to make my own agenda (it still astonishes me to see luxury coach parties turn up, 'pilgrims' hop out, take a photo and get straight back in the coach!), but one advantage of a package pilgrimage is that you will be safe and I'm certain one led by Sulak Sivaraksa will be good.

Kindly provide the safety information about Nepal politic today ,as you read on news the King have been killed and rebel are having war with the military and curfew at night.

Make sure the group workshiping Buddha and not seeing Buddha.

Lioneric,

I can provide a lot of information about Nepalese politics today, but this thread is about a pilgrimage in India (where the climbs are not high enough for altitude sickness) so it would not be the appropriate place.

Let me just point out that the king was killed three years ago, curfews are imposed in some places occasionally and no foreigners have ever been harmed in the conflict between Maoists and the Royal Nepal army and police. You get a very distorted impression of any country if your knowledge is based on one news bulletin every six months.