Loan sharks heartlessly kill Thai fruit vendor over 400 baht debt near Pattaya

snoop1130

2 hours ago, neeray said:

Killing the debtor seems akin to the idiom "biting the hand that feeds you" (only a thousand times worse). Now the loan shark can write off the entire debt, while running from the law.

You miss the whole point. It's not about the 10k this guy owed. It's the 50 other people that owe 10k each that have been “slow“ to pay. Now they will have incentive to pay promptly.

Business wise, it's a good choice for the loan shark to eat this loss because they will gain so much more elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Perhaps we need some sort of overhaul to the judicial system in a situation like this where there were likely multiple witnesses. Why should there even be a trial? The death penalty should be applied within 30 days, with no possibility of appeal. A three person judicial panel could pronounce the sentence, perhaps the word would get around, and people would think twice about behaving like such fools.

The people who committed these crimes were not human, they were a variety of insect. The world needs less of these parasitical insects. 

"The people who committed these crimes were not human, they were a variety of insect. The world needs less of these parasitical insects"

Hmm, where have I heard that kind of talk before?  Maybe we should gas those "insects". 

Edited by Bobthegimp
Spelling

Sad. I know a couple of shop proprietors that have got a problems similar to this. Some time ago I saw two guys coming out of one shop, one was tall and well-built who shouted something about '...พร่งนี้...' ('...tomorrow...) and waving something in his hand (couldn't see what it was). They both got on a large m/b and sped off.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess you are okay with being being murdered for 400 baht or less (I know of two cases where 100 was involved) and almost daily murders within families, or being murdered for turning off the wi-fi or looking at someone the wrong way or young kids carrying guns or students attacking and murdering each other, or teachers beating kids often with apparent impunity (two this week so far) and lack of law enforcement. How would you describe that?

TIT

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess you are okay with being being murdered for 400 baht or less (I know of two cases where 100 was involved) and almost daily murders within families, or being murdered for turning off the wi-fi or looking at someone the wrong way or young kids carrying guns or students attacking and murdering each other, or teachers beating kids often with apparent impunity (two this week so far) and lack of law enforcement. How would you describe that?

I would describe it as a land with problems, hurdles and many difficulties. A land that need very much time to change as the general way of looking at things and the behavior pattern as well as traditional beliefs and hierarchy system are very deep rooted. A would not go as far as putting the name Satanland on a whole country out of that reason.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rwill said:

6,000 baht  interest a month for a 10,000 baht loan.  That is crazy.  Why would anyone agree to it?

If you'd ever been on your last brick, you'd know.  

Poor people are forced into making short term decisions regarding everything.  The predators, be they thugs on motorbikes or thugs in suits, sitting behind desks, are waiting in the shallows for those poor souls. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

What a useless comment, are you just ignorant???

Why are you saying that? No I am not ignorant. A comment like putting a title of Satanland over the whole of Thailand does not belong. It just sounds like a comment from someone that are bitter over moving here, and regret choices in life but might not have the possibility to revert those. I agree with that Thailand has a lot of problems, and many things must be corrected, but going as far as calling it Satanland is wrong. Just look at how many people still chose to move to Thailand and retire or work in this country. Actually very high up on the wish list for people from all the world. Do you really think that all of them have no clue where they are moving? Still sounds like a good destination to me.

Murders for different reasons goes on all over the world. Sometimes for petty reasons and sometimes for big. Abuse and adultery as well as killing or violent action of of the same reasons also goes on everywhere. I could go on with everything from corruption to other crimes and still make the conclusion they exists almost in every country. Sometimes more visible and sometimes hidden in the shadows.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Just tragic. 

It was a woman who shot him. A man would probably have just roughed him up. Now the loan shark will get zero baht and perhaps a stretch in the monkey house. 

I thought doing a wai on national TV would resolve the matter.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Nope - I know it's a cliche. but animals don't behave like that - I think insects is a better description!

They're business people whose business model revolves around high risk loans and high interest payments to offset the risk. 

If word gets out that the "sharks" are just "guppies"  it would be very bad for business.  

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Yeah, I didn't get that "satanland " thing either. 

I see so much good from Thai people in my daily life that I need to read the news to remind myself that it isn't Disneyland.  Must be the honeymoon phase. 

Families are getting threatened by banks and pressure is on the girls to send money home , this is just the beginning, more pressure more scammers 

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The thought process often doesn't enter the murderers mind until after the event... then  flee the scene

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The thought process often doesn't enter the murderers mind until after the event... then  flee the scene

Now that, I can agree with. Shoot first, think later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

"The people who committed these crimes were not human, they were a variety of insect. The world needs less of these parasitical insects"

Hmm, where have I heard that kind of talk before?  Maybe we should gas those "insects". 

Can you clarify what you are referring to please?

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Yeah somewhat true. But sometimes they resort to this kind of act to scare other clients  to not default. A bit like an insurance policy. Mafia in USA do the same. Not that I condone it. 

This sounds to me like it was just a hot-headed reaction, not a plan thought out.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:25 AM, rwill said:

6,000 baht  interest a month for a 10,000 baht loan.  That is crazy.  Why would anyone agree to it?

Desperation! 

In many undeveloped countries this is very common amongst the poor...

Sad, ironic, but a fact.

23 hours ago, borderhopper2005 said:

Rapid and steady economic growth after 1990s.

Behind such flashy modern-day Thailand image, some people are still dying for the amount of money as small as pocket-change to the 1st-world people.

image.png.e2dceabcc3a2b33c2cdeb12798a153d7.png

The "pocket-change" amounts buying power varies across countries. This is one major reason that millions of people from the so called 1st World move to the 3rd World - solid fact.