Pattaya should be on any list of places to retire abroad where English is spoken

Jingthing

I hope if I go to Pattaya after I stop working I can enjoy the nice accommodation with the pool and gym and nice promenades on the beach and the wide range of foods from around the world and the fun lifestyle and the ability to converse reasonably easily and nice people and not be turned off by the incessant heat and sometimes problematic pollution and traffic and unsavoury characters you hear so much about. Hopefully it will be fun. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe you know enough of such lists that they should be taken as opinions of individuals.  In this case not even a travel related source.

Remember the high recommendations for Nong Khai years ago, likely by land speculators?

As for English - you can live in most cities here using it but today's report, https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

placing Thailand last in Asia and 101 out of 113 in English says a bit about the quality of general understanding.  Add to that the very poor computer translation abilities does not make Pattaya that attractive to most (not really a beach town and trying to not be a party town so in flux at best).  But agree it is a good value option for many.

I haven't needed to hire a translator even once living in Pattaya. That says a lot compared to most other options, particularly in Latin America.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I hope if I go to Pattaya after I stop working I can enjoy the nice accommodation with the pool and gym and nice promenades on the beach and the wide range of foods from around the world and the fun lifestyle and the ability to converse reasonably easily and nice people and not be turned off by the incessant heat and sometimes problematic pollution and traffic and unsavoury characters you hear so much about. Hopefully it will be fun. 

Do you intend going to the go-go bars often ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not a fan of Patts, so even if fluent in Thai, I wouldn't live there, or anywhere, just because English might be spoken a bit more.  Been around the whole country, and yet to 'need' the Thai language.   Less so now with G-translate.

Easier if knowing the very basic Thai, but simply not needed.

44 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Do you intend going to the go-go bars often ?

Never been into that sort of thing to date. Which may make Pattaya seem a strange potential choice but I can't think of somewhere else in Thailand that has all the stuff you want nearby. But not as hectic or polluted as Bangkok. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i started learning Thai then gave up, you just don't need it, plus i like not understanding what some of them say

Not many Thai mates then? I would be embarrassed attempting to solely converse in English in a banking situation etc. Each to their own; I guess in a place like Pattaya one doesn't need to make the effort. But travel around the country to the back of beyond and speak a bit of the lingo and the response will likely blow your hair back. Agree with the last bit though. :tongue:

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Not many Thai mates then? I would be embarrassed attempting to solely converse in English in a banking situation etc. Each to their own; I guess in a place like Pattaya one doesn't need to make the effort. But travel around the country to the back of beyond and speak a bit of the lingo and the response will likely blow your hair back. Agree with the last bit though. :tongue:

Bingo.

In Pattaya no need to bother and no need to be embarrassed.

• Like 1

Pattaya is a great place to retire if you are on a tight budget and / or wish to avail yourself of the services of the city's many thousands of hookers.

If you have a decent budget and / or hookers aren't your thing, I really think there are a lot of much better places to retire.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i started learning Thai then gave up, you just don't need it, plus i like not understanding what some of them say

just add a couple of reps or whatever it is you like to do...

I learned to love the Thai language and culture... you are missing out and rationalizing... but at least you are fit. 

4 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

just add a couple of reps or whatever it is you like to do...

I learned to love the Thai language and culture... you are missing out and rationalizing... but at least you are fit. 

Do you live in Nakonowhere? if isolated learning Thai is important

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

Pattaya is a great place to retire if you are on a tight budget and / or wish to avail yourself of the services of the city's many thousands of hookers.

If you have a decent budget and / or hookers aren't your thing, I really think there are a lot of much better places to retire.

For people in the latter category what would you suggest as the best places to retire in Thailand.. or would you suggest elsewhere

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

4 minutes ago, mstevens said:

The nicer developed countries like Australia, New Zealand, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy. The nicer parts of some developed countries like California, Florida etc. Just a few examples. There are many - but like I said, the proviso is that you are not on a tight budget.

Good point. I live in Australia so I'll likely be spending 6 months in Australia so Thailand is a nice difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is getting there don't you think? 

To be honest I've been around Thailand a lot but been to Pattaya for a total of 3 days.. hoping what I see on Youtube etc is somewhat  correct.. For what it's worth I'll likely book 2 or 3 months in 2024 and go to a few places for a month each and see what works.. if it is a shocker like some say then go somewhere else... 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy