Used EV Batteries Are Perfect For Storing Solar Power

placeholder

Time shifting is one of the keys to the solar power revolution. It allows renewable energy created during one part of the day to be stored in batteries for use during a different part of the day. Traditionally, those batteries have consisted of new battery cells — either NMC or LFP. But one company in California thinks used EV battery packs are a simpler and more cost effective way to store electricity for later use.

https://cleantechnica.com/2023/11/26/ev-batteries-are-perfect-for-storing-solar-power/

Edited by placeholder
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

It certainly says  everything we need to know about your appetite for irrelevance. Not only is it a going concern, but it's not the only company doing this.

Isn't there a company called Apple located in California? And I believe a locale called Silicon Valley is located somewhere within its borders.

Edited by placeholder

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All very well if one has a lot of space, but how is it going to work if, like many people now, one lives in an house with no outdoor space, apartment, flat or condo?

An ESS takes up little space, and can hang on a wall, no different than a painting or AC unit.  We have 20kWh of ESS hanging on our interior wall, and takes up dead space we don't need to use for anything else.  

We could easily bolt our EV's battery pack above the TV in our bedroom now, and that's dead space not being used now.  

Why do people create problems that don't exist ?

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 11/28/2023 at 7:18 AM, KhunLA said:

2nd hand 40KwHr Leaf cells are selling for 8000 pounds in the UK.

Hardly inexpensive.

40KwHr of new NMC batteries cost 4000 pounds.

Where are the savings, this is just a puff piece to justify the wastage caused by used EV batteries.

Essentially misinformation.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2nd hand Leaf cells are selling for 8000 pounds in the UK.

Hardly inexpensive.

Owning an overpriced Leaf wouldn't be my choice.   But if the rest of our ZS can't keep up with the longevity of the battery pack or motors, I'm pretty sure I know what the wife will do with the battery pack.

By that time, they'll probably have a simple, inexpensive 'plug & play' adapter units available ...:giggle:

Edited by KhunLA

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

An ESS takes up little space, and can hang on a wall, no different than a painting or AC unit.  We have 20kWh of ESS hanging on our interior wall, and takes up dead space we don't need to use for anything else.  

We could easily bolt our EV's battery pack above the TV in our bedroom now, and that's dead space not being used now.  

Why do people create problems that don't exist ?

Untitled.png

Second question. If one lives in an apartment or condo, where does one put the solar panels needed to charge the batteries? I'm talking about enough to replace mains electricity, not a couple of lights.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Second question. If one lives in an apartment or condo, where does one put the solar panels needed to charge the batteries? I'm talking about enough to replace mains electricity, not a couple of lights.

Obviously if not having space to put panels anywhere you won't be charging the ESS/battery pack with solar.  And only use would be as back up if you have outages quite often.  Charge with grid when on, and you have if needed.

Probably handy in TH, during hot season, as brown outs are common in some areas, or I read still happen.

Another silly what if scenario and surprised I even bothered replying.  

Which case, as you may be a bit skint, since living in a 1 or 2 room condo/apartment, instead of a house, that selling the battery pack and buying one of those portable electric generators would be be a better option.  

As you could take that with you camping, since you can't afford holidays in hotels.  Can keep your mobile charged up to troll AN with silly what if scenarios while enjoying nature & coffee from your water kettle, while eating ha baht soup, ok, now sip baht soup.  win wins  all around :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Obviously if not having space to put panels anywhere you won't be charging the ESS/battery pack with solar.  And only use would be as back up if you have outages quite often.  Charge with grid when on, and you have if needed.

Probably handy in TH, during hot season, as brown outs are common in some areas, or I read still happen.

Another silly what if scenario and surprised I even bothered replying.  

Which case, as you may be a bit skint, since living in a 1 or 2 room condo/apartment, instead of a house, that selling the battery pack and buying one of those portable electric generators would be be a better option.  

As you could take that with you camping, since you can't afford holidays in hotels.  Can keep your mobile charged up to troll AN with silly what if scenarios while enjoying nature & coffee from your water kettle, while eating ha baht soup, ok, now sip baht soup.  win wins  all around :coffee1:

Father Jack said it best

I'm soooo sorry.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1