Blood pressure monitor

BenStark

15 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I notice from the listings that all those BP monitors come with a 22-32cm cuff, and there are reviews in almost every listing that they are too small.

Although I'm by far not a bodybuilder, I frequently work out, and just measured my upper arm, and yes 32cm would probably not large enough.

So how do people go about this, as I see from the reviews I'm not the only one, and most likely this affects most westerners.

The one i bought on Lazada was easy big enough so again check reviews

Edited by scubascuba3

On 12/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, BenStark said:

Looking at purchasing a blood pressure monitor, so what are decent options at a reasonable price?

On lazada i see them for 150 baht with 5 year warranty. Yeah right, that must be the real thing, not?

Reading reviews like, very good but haven't tested it yet, also don't help of course.

Any suggestions welcome

I bought an ALPHAMED  Upper Arm Monitor from Lazada and use it daily.  The "cuff" range is 24 to 42Cms. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I notice from the listings that all those BP monitors come with a 22-32cm cuff, and there are reviews in almost every listing that they are too small.

Although I'm by far not a bodybuilder, I frequently work out, and just measured my upper arm, and yes 32cm would probably not large enough.

So how do people go about this, as I see from the reviews I'm not the only one, and most likely this affects most westerners.

When I ordered mine, I ordered a large cuff.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Plenty of official studies available which state that forearm measurements are not accurate, hence my question

I put my cuff just above my left elbow, which is where the hospital tests although they generally use the point above my right elbow with the hose at the centre point.

If the hose is too far to the left or right of centre I get a different reading.

This morning my BP median reading after doing odd jobs for an hour or so, was

Sys       Dia       Pulse

114        70        83

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I put my cuff just above my left elbow, which is where the hospital tests although they generally use the point above my right elbow with the hose at the centre point.

If the hose is too far to the left or right of centre I get a different reading.

This morning my BP median reading after doing odd jobs for an hour or so, was

Sys       Dia       Pulse

114        70        83

I take it the hose should be centre front.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

After many years of above average blood pressure I finally figured out how to solve the problem. 

Before you have your BP test, tell the nurse you want to sit for 5 of 10 minutes first in order to relax, this is not an unusual request.  Next, make sure you clothing is not too tight, eg, loosen your belt if need be. Sit with your feet and knees together, fold your hands in your lap and close your eyes. Breathe in and fill your lungs with air then, release the air very slowly through just your mouth, this stimulates the vagus nerve which lowers BP. Repeat half a dozen times then test your BP, it really does work.

So you are explaining how to get a faked result

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Perhaps just a more realistic result. 

A realistic result you get when you test with your realistic behaviour throughout the day.

The below is not realistic behaviour

Sit with your feet and knees together, fold your hands in your lap and close your eyes. Breathe in and fill your lungs with air then, release the air very slowly through just your mouth, this stimulates the vagus nerve which lowers BP. Repeat half a dozen times then test your BP, it really does work.

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

A realistic result you get when you test with your realistic behaviour throughout the day.

Sit with your feet and knees together, fold your hands in your lap and close your eyes. Breathe in and fill your lungs with air then, release the air very slowly through just your mouth, this stimulates the vagus nerve which lowers BP. Repeat half a dozen times then test your BP, it really does work.

Normal activity normally elevates your BP and your BPM. If abnormally high, that's an issue, and it's quickly realized. But first you want the baseline, that is, the resting rate. Hence measuring upon first awakening in the morning is usually recommended.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BenStark said:

But if you do it that way every time how can it be a faked or unrealistic result.

Many people take their BP at home and yet get different results at the doctor or the hospital.

It is called the white coat syndrome.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/white-coat-hypertension/faq-20057792#:~:text=You could have white coat,pressure sometimes wear white coats.

My blood pressure is always higher in a medical setting than it is at home. Why is this?
Answer From Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, M.D.
You could have white coat hypertension. This condition occurs when blood pressure readings at a health care provider's office are higher than they are in other settings, such as at home. It's called white coat hypertension because people who measure blood pressure sometimes wear white coats.

It was once thought that white coat hypertension was caused by the stress that appointments with a health care provider can create. If blood pressure returned to optimal after the appointment, the temporarily raised blood pressure wasn't considered a problem.

However, some care providers think that white coat hypertension can be a problem. It might mean a risk of developing high blood pressure as a long-term condition. People with white coat hypertension might also have a higher risk of developing certain cardiovascular problems and damage to some organs, compared with people who have steady, optimal blood pressure.

The same might be true for people who have masked hypertension. That means their blood pressure is OK at the care provider's office, but it can spike when measured in other settings. It's thought that even these temporary increases in blood pressure could develop into a long-term problem.

If you have white coat hypertension, talk to your health care provider about monitoring your condition at home. Your provider might ask you to wear a device (ambulatory blood pressure monitor) to track your blood pressure for up to 24 hours. This measures blood pressure during activity and at rest. It can help determine if your high blood pressure needs treatment

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Nope, I'm telling you how settle abnormally high BP readings in a clinical setting, aka, white coat syndrome. Think about it, how can you possibly fake your own BP results!

Because you don't sit all day with your hands and knees together and slowly breathing in and out. You are moving around all day

Not everyone has white coat syndrome, only a small percentage suffer from it, so yes it's a fake result

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

Because you don't sit all day with your hands and knees together and slowly breathing in and out. You are moving around all day

Not everyone has white coat syndrome, only a small percentage suffer from it, so yes it's a fake result

And not everyone takes there blood pressure first thing in the morning, just as they've got out of bed. It's a way of obtaining a normal result rather than a distorted result.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

And not everyone takes there blood pressure first thing in the morning, just as they've got out of bed. It's a way of obtaining a normal result rather than a distorted result.

Why would anyone need to take blood pressure in the morning? You only can suffer from a stroke in the morning.

A realistic blood pressure test is taken at a random time of the day, and without special preperations

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Why would anyone need to take blood pressure in the morning? You only can suffer from a stroke in the morning.

A realistic blood pressure test is taken at a random time of the day, and without special preperations

Rubbish!

"Take it first in the morning before eating or taking any medications. Take it again in the evening. Each time you measure, take two or three readings to make sure your results are the same. Your health care provider might recommend taking your blood pressure at the same times each day".

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20047889#:~:text=Take it first in the,the same times each day.

And:

Sit quietly before and during monitoring. When you're ready to take your blood pressure, sit for five minutes in a comfortable position with your legs and ankles uncrossed. Your back should be supported against a chair. Try to be calm and not think about stressful things. Don't talk while taking your blood pressure.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Nope, I'm telling you how settle abnormally high BP readings in a clinical setting, aka, white coat syndrome. Think about it, how can you possibly fake your own BP results!

In the mornings I generally take my BP readings between 11 and noon about 30 minutes after I have done my morning jobs. I take the resting BP around 4 pm after my afternoon nap. I take 5 readings in a row and use the middle reading as they are usually different. I discard the 2 highest and the 2 lowest and the middle one is the figure that I use. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

A realistic blood pressure test is taken at a random time of the day, and without special preparations

I eat breakfast, then spend 1 or 2 hours cutting the scrub and grass, catch up on roundtuit jobs, outside or inside, depending on the weather and then take my BP.