COP28: UN climate talks take aim at planet-warming food

CharlieH

image.png

World leaders have for the first time promised to tackle the huge responsibility that food and agriculture have in climate change.

More than 130 countries signed up to a declaration about food, on the second day of the UN climate summit COP28 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Food contributes a third of the warming gases increasing global temperatures.

Leaders including King Charles told COP28 that time was running out to tackle climate change.

The Emirates Declaration on Sustainable Agriculture, Resilient Food Systems and Climate Action has been welcomed by many experts and charities who say it is long overdue.

Countries that have signed up represent 5.7bn people and 75% of all emissions from global food production and consumption, according to the COP28 host nation the UAE.

Nations should now include food emissions in their plans to tackle climate change - also called Nationally Determined Contributions.

The US, China, the EU and the UK - some of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases per capita from food - signed up.

"The declaration sends a powerful signal to the nations of the world that we can only keep the 1.5 degree goal in sight if we act fast to shift the global food system in the direction of greater sustainability and resilience," said Edward Davey, head of research group World Resources Institute UK.

Debates around food and climate often focus on whether people should eat less meat and dairy.

And as food prices have gone up around the world, focus has turned to how growing weather unpredictability caused by climate change could also increase the cost of a supermarket shop.

But this declaration is unlikely to lead to government policies like a tax on meat or lower food prices in the short-term, says Edward Davey.

Leaders of global organisations representing farmers cautiously welcomed the declaration.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Meanwhile, in other planetary hypocrisy news, Prince Charles, Rishi Sunak and David Cameron all traveled from London to Dubai by private jet.

Not the same private jet, you understand, but three separate private jets. Understandable, since they are all loathsome people and probably cannot stand one another, but not a very good look when ordering the peasants to cut down on their consumption.

Too bad they didn't get iced in at Munich airport, like a bunch of the other "global boiling" hustlers.

I'd expect nothing less from politicians, as hypocrisy is what they are good at ( along with lying ), but charles has been a big disappointment for me since insisting on not abdicating in favour of his son. I thought he was a better person than that. Call me sadly disillusioned.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd expect nothing less from politicians, as hypocrisy is what they are good at ( along with lying ), but charles has been a big disappointment for me since insisting on not abdicating in favour of his son. I thought he was a better person than that. Call me sadly disillusioned.

England, like many other countries would be better of without their monarchies. They are relics of the past.

Edited by Hawaiian
Correction
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

England, like many other countries would be better of without their monarchies. They are relics of the past.

I prefer having a British monarch as head of NZ state, as it means we don't need to waste money to elect yet another useless politician. I just wish it was William instead of Charles.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I prefer having a British monarch as head of NZ state, as it means we don't need to waste money to elect yet another useless politician. I just wish it was William instead of Charles.

Here in Hawaii the sovereignty activists want to restore the monarchy.  The last heir to the crown recently past away.  There are so many different activist groups with opposing agendas they would never come to an agreement to select the next king or queen.  Good!

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Insects are nutritious and can be processed to look less unattractive for western eyes.

I'm sure that's true.  But I'm even more sure that King Charles, John Kerry and the other knobs that are negotiating our futures will never take on the insect based diet they have in mind for the rest of us.  Somehow, I don't envision their staff planning their menus around sustainability.

For me, give me a big slab of dead cow.  Recently, more dead pigs and chickens, because beef has gotten so expensive post Covid.  If I can't buy them, we shoot our own in Texas where I'm from.  Feral pigs.  Never out of season, and you don't even need a hunting license.  Just a friendly landowner who wants rid of his pests.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm sure that's true.  But I'm even more sure that King Charles, John Kerry and the other knobs that are negotiating our futures will never take on the insect based diet they have in mind for the rest of us.  Somehow, I don't envision their staff planning their menus around sustainability.

For me, give me a big slab of dead cow.  Recently, more dead pigs and chickens, because beef has gotten so expensive post Covid.  If I can't buy them, we shoot our own in Texas where I'm from.  Feral pigs.  Never out of season, and you don't even need a hunting license.  Just a friendly landowner who wants rid of his pests.

I prefer lamb, served with mint sauce, peas and roast potatoes. Yum.

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I guess this means another 50% rise in food prices for those living in the west.

Actually, just the opposite is more likely if consumption of domesticated animals were to be significantly reduced. For example, almost 80% of soybeans are grown for livestock consumption.  Lower demand = lower prices.

Is our appetite for soy driving deforestation in the Amazon?

"More than three-quarters (77%) of global soy is fed to livestock for meat and dairy production."

https://ourworldindata.org/soy

And in a time when global  freshwater resources are growing increasingly strained, water usage would be dramatically reduced were the cultivation of feed crops for animals lessened.