American warship, multiple commercial vessels come under attack in Red Sea

CharlieH

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Since you asked, if someone was shooting at me I'd try and shoot them. I wouldn't bomb 7,000 kids to death just because they got in the way. Would you?

what if the people shooting at you hid among civilians? and they were shooting at your kids? would you let your kids die?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Interesting development.

Netanyahu has just announced Israel will take on the Houthis in Yemen if the U.S. doesn't.  Anyone care to comment?

As long as the drones/missiles coming from Yemen are intercepted, I doubt something major will happen. If they manage to hit something, especially if it caused loss of life - different ball game. Fair enough, I think, for now. If this comes about, it would probably be dealt with in a similar manner - missile and drone strikes (either from Israel, or Israeli navy assets in the area).

When it comes to maritime traffic it's different. I think if they continue to attack ships based on owners' ties to Israel, and with ships flying other flags, they will eventually earn themselves a beating. Not necessarily from Israel, even. Going after ships this way is not something the international community and global business approve of or tolerate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

As long as the drones/missiles coming from Yemen are intercepted, I doubt something major will happen. If they manage to hit something, especially if it caused loss of life - different ball game. Fair enough, I think, for now. If this comes about, it would probably be dealt with in a similar manner - missile and drone strikes (either from Israel, or Israeli navy assets in the area).

When it comes to maritime traffic it's different. I think if they continue to attack ships based on owners' ties to Israel, and with ships flying other flags, they will eventually earn themselves a beating. Not necessarily from Israel, even. Going after ships this way is not something the international community and global business approve of or tolerate.

Well said.

• Thanks 1

🔴 Live: French warship downs drones headed from Yemen over Red Sea

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/live-french-warship-downs-drones-headed-from-yemen-over-red-sea/ar-AA1lgEW5

Given that there's quite an international naval presence in the area, just a question of time before other countries will be involved (willingly or not).

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Morch said:

🔴 Live: French warship downs drones headed from Yemen over Red Sea

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/live-french-warship-downs-drones-headed-from-yemen-over-red-sea/ar-AA1lgEW5

Given that there's quite an international naval presence in the area, just a question of time before other countries will be involved (willingly or not).

I was going post the same link.  You beat me to it. 

Good to see participation by the French.  Like you say, there will be more countries involved.

Edited by Hawaiian
c
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Interesting development.

Netanyahu has just announced Israel will take on the Houthis in Yemen if the U.S. doesn't.  Anyone care to comment?

Yemenites were never conquered and defeated in human history. Same same as the Taliban...

An Israeli official Amir Wetmann (Russia Will Pay a High Price for Killing Israelis’ )also made a claim to handle Russia for what(ever) they did...this was not reported here on AN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX30OQobMXk

Looks like Netanyahu is forcing his near future political departure party by inviting his friends from Palestine, Lebanon (Hezbollah), Syria, Yemen, Russia and why not Iran... 

Edited by Thorgal
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

Yemenites were never conquered and defeated in human history. Same same as the Taliban...

An Israeli official Amir Wetmann (Russia Will Pay a High Price for Killing Israelis’ )also made a claim to handle Russia for what(ever) they did...this was not reported here on AN.

Looks like Netanyahu is forcing his near future political departure party by inviting his friends from Palestine, Lebanon (Hezbollah), Syria, Yemen, Russia and why not Iran... 

As a long time stamp collector I remember stamps of the Protectorate of Aden, a crown colony of Great Britain.  I recall stamps with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on them.  Some time in the 1960's, Aden gained independence and changed its name to Yemen.  For some reason I never collected stamps from Yemen.

Out of curiosity I did a search on the history of Yemen.  Like much of the Middle East it has a very ancient and complicated history.

According to Wikipedia, the country has changed hands a few times by different warring factions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Yemen

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

As a long time stamp collector I remember stamps of the Protectorate of Aden, a crown colony of Great Britain.  I recall stamps with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on them.  Some time in the 1960's, Aden gained independence and changed its name to Yemen.  For some reason I never collected stamps from Yemen.

Out of curiosity I did a search on the history of Yemen.  Like much of the Middle East it has a very ancient and complicated history.

According to Wikipedia, the country has changed hands a few times by different warring factions.

Right! It's been a complete mess for decades.

You can also notice that the Houti's cause is far from illegitimate (I'm not talking about recent events, I.e. attacking ships), as they have been fighting against the expansion of Salafism pushed by S.A. (and also occasionally against al Qaida).

9 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Aden gained independence and changed its name to Yemen.

No it did not!

Aden is still Aden! and Yemen has been around for some time;

In 1839 the British set up a protective area around the southern port of Aden and in 1918 the northern Kingdom of Yemen gained independence from the Ottoman Empire. North Yemen became a republic in 1962, but it was not until 1967 that the British Empire withdrew from what became South Yemen. In 1970, the southern government adopted a communist governmental system. The two countries were formally united as the Republic of Yemen on May 22, 1990.

Modern history of Yemen - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Sorry, a protectorate is not a colony. The protectorate with Great Britain was created to counter the Ottoman Empire who wanted to expand both in that region.

Quote from source :

A colony is a region owned by a country but does not form part of the country. A protectorate is a nation in itself that is governed by a government but relies entirely on another country for protection against invasion from some other country.

It is interesting to note that a protectorate is characterized by autonomy. 

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-protectorate-and-colony/

Edited by Thorgal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thorgal said:

Wouldn't know that he's an 'official' anything. He's a Likud party member, not on the parliament, and don't think he holds a government position. Other than that, it actually was posted on here, but deleted as it's an RT piece.

Nothing much to do with the topic at hand.

You're grasping at straws.

Edited by Morch

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Wouldn't know that he's an 'official' anything. He's a Likud party member, not on the parliament, and don't think he holds a government position. Other than that, it actually was posted on here, but deleted as it's an RT piece.

'A Likud partymember' is not doing his position or influence justice.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Off topic ?

Yemen has very good relationships with Russia and Yemen has mainly Russian missiles. Russia can do the same with Yemen in terms of funding and re-arming Yemen like the US and EU did with Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Yemen_relations#:~:text=Russia and Yemen enjoy both,both countries maintain close ties.

Majority of oil traded in the world passes through or via :

1. The Strait of Ormuz - close to Iran

2. Red Sea entrance - close to Yemen

Majority of oil delivered in Israel comes from Azerbaijan through Turkey. Today's Israeli relationship with Turkey (Erdogan) is not optimum as this war takes too long (many civil causalities on both sides) and too many unnecessary third party countries like involving Russia Amir Whitman's war provocation.

• Confused 1

To all of you commenting on my "history of Yemen" post,

I did state that Yemen has a complicated history.  For you nitpickers concerned about my use of "protectorate" and "crown colony" the following link should clear up the confusion.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/a-short-history-of-the-aden-emergency

Take note of the chronology: 1839, 1869, 1937 and 1967.

There are other links out there that are confusing and contradict each other similar to some of the information provided on this forum.

1 hour ago, Thorgal said:

Off topic ?

Yemen has very good relationships with Russia and Yemen has mainly Russian missiles. Russia can do the same with Yemen in terms of funding and re-arming Yemen like the US and EU did with Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Yemen_relations#:~:text=Russia and Yemen enjoy both,both countries maintain close ties.

Majority of oil traded in the world passes through or via :

1. The Strait of Ormuz - close to Iran

2. Red Sea entrance - close to Yemen

Majority of oil delivered in Israel comes from Azerbaijan through Turkey. Today's Israeli relationship with Turkey (Erdogan) is not optimum as this war takes too long (many civil causalities on both sides) and too many unnecessary third party countries like involving Russia Amir Whitman's war provocation.

Nothing much to do with your the post I commented on.

Given the situation in Yemen, generalized comments about 'support' for the country are often unclear.

I don't think the missiles launched at Israel were Russian made or supplied.

And as said, if they get too much out of line, they'll be pounded. Hard.

12 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

I would think that Russia is quite hard pressed in keeping up their inventory that supplying any kind of armaments to ANYONE is highly unlikely.  But, then again, maybe some posters have an intelligence source not available to us uninformed posters.

Last time I looked old Putin hat in hand was begging N Korea for weapons doubt he has the supply’s 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Interesting development.

I'd like to see that.

It's not like Lebanon, which is a drive over the border. Other than just bombing things, how are they going to get there, how are they going to resupply? Does netanyahu think the Americans will supply the ships?

8 hours ago, Morch said:

And as said, if they get too much out of line, they'll be pounded. Hard.

Haven't the Saudis been"pounding them" for years, and they have all the best US toys, but haven't succeeded in "pacifying" them.

Air power is never enough and needs boots on the ground, but how to get there without American ships, hmmmmmmm.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Haven't the Saudis been"pounding them" for years, and they have all the best US toys, but haven't succeeded in "pacifying" them.

Air power is never enough and needs boots on the ground, but how to get there without American ships, hmmmmmmm.

The Saudi's are modernizing their Navy, having contracted both Spanish and U.S. shipbuilders.  The multi-purpose littoral combat ships being built are supposedly to counter Iranian aggression in the gulf.  These ships are designed for near shore operations and will have missile firing capability.  They also could be used against the Houthis in Yemen.

Just now, Hawaiian said:

The Saudi's are modernizing their Navy, having contracted both Spanish and U.S. shipbuilders.  The multi-purpose littoral combat ships being built are supposedly to counter Iranian aggression in the gulf.  These ships are designed for near shore operations and will have missile firing capability.  They also could be used against the Houthis in Yemen.

I very much doubt Saudi will become allies with israel in attacking Muslim people.