Big Joke probes Pattaya sex scandal with high stakes not only for ‘Sin City’ but Thailand itself

webfact

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It would appear that the "imposter do gooder" is hungry for publicity again. They are pretending that they don't know what goes on in Pattaya, when the entire world knows what goes on in Pattaya. The place is infamous. And they are pretending that a video like this is going to damage the reputation of Thailand, when everybody already knows this information.

There's nothing new here, there's no emergency here, this is just a man desperate for more time in front of the cameras, pretending to address a problem that has existed forever. 

I don’t think he has a choice to choose who he has to investigate. He was “ ordered” in this case by the Prime Minister Srettha. 

On 12/5/2023 at 4:50 AM, geisha said:

Welcome back Mr Surachate. If anyone in the force is going to get to the bottom of this story/accusations/ rumors, it’s him. Many on this forum seem to dislike him, but there again, each to his own opinion. It’s certainly not good to have stories like this published in international news . Lots of viewers/readers will believe it, even if it’s not true. Thailand and especially Pattaya has a bad enough reputation as it is.

Wasn't he and most of his department sent to INACTIVE posts due to extortion of foreigners on overstay and go-go bars, About 4 years ago????????

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It would appear that the "imposter do gooder" is hungry for publicity again. They are pretending that they don't know what goes on in Pattaya, when the entire world knows what goes on in Pattaya. The place is infamous. And they are pretending that a video like this is going to damage the reputation of Thailand, when everybody already knows this information.

There's nothing new here, there's no emergency here, this is just a man desperate for more time in front of the cameras, pretending to address a problem that has existed forever. 

It appears that many are not aware that Big Joke was put on the case when it broke originally, months ago. 
So this is less of a probe, but more of a ‘sort this out!’  

19 minutes ago, proton said:

Correct, and some of them own the bars where kids are available, they need taking down no matter how well connected and rich they are. 

If they do, then they are obviously disguising it by not listing it as a bar they own. Do you have knowledge that this is the case?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 5:57 AM, Kerryd said:

From the article:
"Deutsche Welle’s documentary, titled ‘Sex Tourism in Thailand,’ faced criticism for presenting evidence of paedophilia crimes, despite official statements denying the existence of child prostitution in Pattaya’s sprawling red-light district."

So they want to investigate the media outlet for presenting evidence of something the officials have denied exists.

And their main concern is not about the child prostitution or the police bribery - but their image and reputation.

One has to remember something very important though. 

In Thai law, you can be released on bail to fight criminal charges against you, even if you are charged with serious crimes. There have been numerous cases of people being released from prison on bail because they'd been charged with another crime. (The former "godfather of Chon Buri" was a prime example. He'd been sent to prison after being convicted of plotting the murder of a business rival but was released on bail after being charged in a land fraud case and promptly did a runner.)

What some people think is a "bribe" is actually the bail money that has to be paid so they can be released. Whether through ignorance (likely) or poor translation (possibly), people might think it's a bribe.

A GoFundMe scam I busted a couple years ago was like that. A story in a Canadian media outlet told about a Canadian who'd flown to Thailand and been "kidnapped by men dressed as police officers who took him to a "basement" somewhere and demanded a ransom to let him go". And, of course, the story was from "friends" who'd already set up a GoFundMe (and needed a media outlet to publicize it).

Turns out, the guy had flown to Thailand and - 3 days later - was arrested in Bangkok for selling drugs to an undercover cop ! He was arrested in an area noted for "African" drug dealers.
He'd been taken to a police station and charged and told how much his BAIL was. Supposedly he phoned his friends back home and told them he'd been "kidnapped" and needed a whopping $5,000 for the "ransom" (about 130,000 baht at the time). (Who goes to Thailand and starts selling drugs on a street corner 2-3 days later ?)

I informed the reporter at the media outlet who initially refused to believe that the guy was a criminal. (I guess that wouldn't have sold as many newspapers.) A couple months later I sent her a news clipping about the guy being released from jail and deported. Apparently she tried to contact his "friends" that had initially told her the story but they wouldn't answer her calls for some reason.

So maybe the German paid a million baht BAIL to be released from jail, not a "bribe". But after getting back to Germany told the media it was a "bribe" (either because of his own ignorance or poor translation).

So for when was his day in court fixed?

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

About bloody time. 

Lots of sicko's here. 

Too many, scummy, disgusting, filthy, lowlife foreigners. 

The only thing I hate about Thailand is some of the foreigners. 

The only thing I hate about Thailand is some of the foreigners that make up BS about the place. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2023 at 3:38 AM, Caldera said:

And that is, of course, the real scandal and story worth telling. Not Pattaya's tarnished image or any such nonsense. 

Pattaya isn't tarnished. It's a great place for big boys. Foreign wowsers can naff off and bother the prostitutes in their own country. Take the families with them- not wanted in Pattaya.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

Wasn't he and most of his department sent to INACTIVE posts due to extortion of foreigners on overstay and go-go bars, About 4 years ago????????

He went out of favour but I thought it was more abut stepping on more important toes.

On 12/6/2023 at 2:32 AM, MangoKorat said:

I find it impossible to believe that Pattaya police have not been fully aware that underage prostitution has been going on there for years.

Underage prostitution that is so invisible that I never noticed it in many years there.

Probably as much of it going on in your home town as in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Underage prostitution that is so invisible that I never noticed it in many years there.

Yes, possibly. Doesn't make it right though does it. But it beggars the question as to why they then need to come to Thailand to service their perversions. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, possibly. Doesn't make it right though does it. But it beggars the qusetion as to why they then need to come to Thailand to service their perversions. 

You'd have to ask them then. Perhaps they came for sex with older girls and then got an offer they wanted to take up.

If I asked you to inform me as to where one would find underage girls for rent in Pattaya I doubt you could tell me. I certainly didn't and I doubt any poster on this forum knows either.

It's not like TAT is advertising it for most to know.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just because YOU never came across it and have decided it does not exist does not mean it's invisible

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Then you should open your eyes.

I rarely go to Pattaya these days but in September when I was in Bangkok, a bar owner friend told me of a bar on the same Soi that had underage girls available - not on a back street or in an 'upstairs bar' but on one of Sukhumvit's main entertainment Soi's.

In March 2020, just before Covid hit, I was in Hua Hin for a friend's wedding and went out for a few drinks in the evening.  I noticed a few very young looking girls sitting outside one bar and mentioned it to a girl I got talking to in a bar on the same Soi.  She told me that it was well known that the bar had girls as young as 13 available.  The bar was raided the next night.

I'm not a regular visitor to Thailand's 'entertainment' areas nowadays but that's just 2 cases of bars blatantly involved in offering underage girls that I've come across in maybe 5 visits across 2 years.  If some bars are prepared to offer underage girls so openly, how much is going on 'behind the scenes'?

* Off topic deflection comments edited out *

Edited by metisdead
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

The managers of the bar were arrested, look at the film, the German admits taking an underaged girl, how much more proof do you need

You said "Correct, and some of them own the bars where kids are available, they need taking down no matter how well connected and rich they are." which indicates more than one bar. You have to prove it's more than one bar to make your case.

5 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I'm not a regular visitor to Thailand's 'entertainment' areas nowadays but that's just 2 cases of bars blatantly involved in offering underage girls that I've come across in maybe 5 visits across 2 years.  If some bars are prepared to offer underage girls so openly, how much is going on 'behind the scenes'?

Thai cops love to do farangs for underage sex as the pickings would have to be good.

Perhaps you just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be told about those particular places, but you can't tell me the information is widely known, as it's not. I'm not going to, for obvious reasons, but if you googled "underage sex in Thailand" would you find advertisements for establishments with such? Obviously not.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Except the slant they put on it is not the truth, it's opinion. Pattaya is great except for the wowsers that don't like western men being able to have sex without being ringed by some demanding land whale western female.

You are such a ‘charmer’. Can see why you just don’t attract ‘em naturally. 

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be told about those particular places, but you can't tell me the information is widely known, as it's not.

In the right place at the right time?  Hardly! The fact that underage sex is available in Thailand and I have no doubt, in Pattaya in particular is in fact, well known.  There have been several TV documentaries about it and at least one movie - 'She Has A Name'.

Its hard to understand how you don't know about it and even harder to understand why you seem to be trying to deny its widespread and defend Pattaya itself. Pattaya is a cesspit but its a cesspit that I've had many a good night out in, I'm not knocking it, I'm just telling it how it is.

When an place has a reputation like Pattaya's, don't be too surprised when its discovered that a more sickly side to the sex industry exists alongside it.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Instead of just letting the dust settle better to inject some BS investigation that will go nowhere. Hmmm 🤔. Maybe idea is to placate Germans by whitewashing.

I've not seen the documentary but I think the angle is unfair. Guarantee you can find hundreds of underage minors selling themselves in Germany.

I lived in Pattaya for years in early 00s and for all intents and purposes there is no children for sale semi openly to foreigners. Yes, there are young women that leave school, home and head to Pattaya. They get an ID and they can work. I've bumped into only a few minors and they were almost always employed on the fringes. 15 yo gogo girl gonna draw some questions.

Moreover, obviously there were actual minors caught up in this docu but if the average dumbass goes looking for *young girls* probably gonna end up with 18-20 yo at 5x the price.

Finally, sorry - but even Big Joke can't go up against Pattaya and Phuket municipal govts and mafias.

Edited by Fr87