Windows 10 Pro

Mavideol

Just now, Mavideol said:

The main problem is not being able to select the Win 10 Pro version, everytime I use the media creation tool it always sets the installation to win10 home single language, that's what I have been trying to explain, disk creation tool, download now update and/or upgrade it always defaults to the damn win10 home single language, that's why I got pissed and decided once and for all to format the drive and that may solve  the problem

You were given a solution to that earlier,  with regard to ei.cfg file. That forces the installation into the edition that you actually want. 

Just now, NextG said:

You were given a solution to that earlier,  with regard to ei.cfg file. That forces the installation into the edition that you actually want. 

am doing it now as (sorry) but forgot u gave that option, it's almost complete

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Firstly, follow these steps to create the media (if you haven’t already done so) and to initiate installation from Boot:
https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/55-how-to-use-the-microsoft-windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

For installation, begin from Step 2 here: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-install-Windows-10/

Taking note of deleting the existing partitions in so you are left with only Unallocated Space. Only then to install to the Unallocated Space. You can ignore the part with regard to creating a new partition; that isn’t necessary. 

thanks, hope u had a good dinner and I didn't bothered too much... reading it thru and will let u know the outcome

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

am doing it now as (sorry) but forgot u gave that option, it's almost complete

It wasn’t me who gave that option. I came to the thread after that, so it looked like it wasn’t what you wanted. But it is 😊

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-edition-configuration-and-product-id-files--eicfg-and-pidtxt?view=windows-10

It’s simple. Yours would be likely be: Professional/OEM/0

Once you’ve created and named the text file; ei.cfg, you then just put it in the Sources folder that’s within the installation media and then follow the installation instructions as say on GroovyPost. You won’t be forced on to Single Language. 

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-edition-configuration-and-product-id-files--eicfg-and-pidtxt?view=windows-10

It’s simple. Yours would be likely be: Professional/OEM/0

Once you’ve created and named the text file; ei.cfg, you then just put it in the Sources folder that’s within the installation media and then follow the installation instructions as say on GroovyPost. You won’t be forced on to Single Language. 

completed the task, copying the ei.cfg to the USB with the installation media and will cross my fingers

11 minutes ago, NextG said:

Specifically into the Sources folder

done all of that ... final result is that it says I can't upgrade as I already have a copy of windows, thanks for all your help, it's dinner time for me, I give up and will format the disk and proceed with a clean installation, again thanks a lot

after all I have done it just keeps coming back with same installation, check the photo

Screen shot from win10.jpg

Edited by Mavideol

Just now, Mavideol said:

done all of that ... final result is that it says I can't upgrade as I already have a copy of windows, thanks for all your help, it's dinner time for me, I give up and will format the disk and proceed with a clean installation, again thanks a lot

You didn’t report what happened when you tried the Command Prompt

Edited by NextG

You didn’t report what happened when you tried the Command Prompt

I did and it said can not complete action as file was missing.... at theis time my last option is to try to change the BIOS from SATA to AHCI it that happens I will clone my old samsung into the new one and will have 2 same systems but so far couldn't access BIOS or able to change BIOS

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I did and it said can not complete action as file was missing.... at theis time my last option is to try to change the BIOS from SATA to AHCI it that happens I will clone my old samsung into the new one and will have 2 same systems but so far couldn't access BIOS or able to change BIOS

Is that preferable to a Clean Installation for you?

20 minutes ago, NextG said:

Specifically into the Sources folder

tried that link but it appears Acer doesn't like to change the BIOS maybe have to drive 2 hours back to the store and have a go with the owner

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/652957/why-cant-i-change-boot-mode-from-uefi-to-legacy-on-my-aspire-5-a514-54g-51as

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

Is that preferable to a Clean Installation for you?

yes as the kid would have a similar system to my current one and easy to help her if anything happen. First time buying Acer as all my systems are DELL and know how to navigate them, ACER appears to be more complex

Edited by Mavideol

11 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

after all I have done it just keeps coming back with same installation, check the photo

Okay, the problem here is that you somehow refuse to follow the actual instructions given. Instead you mix it up with things you think that you already know. 
Nowhere was it suggested that you create an ei.cfg file and then to run the installation from WITHIN Windows. I haven’t seen JaiMaai’s guide, but I’m reasonably sure they haven’t suggested it. 

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

tried that link but it appears Acer doesn't like to change the BIOS maybe have to drive 2 hours back to the store and have a go with the owner

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/652957/why-cant-i-change-boot-mode-from-uefi-to-legacy-on-my-aspire-5-a514-54g-51as

yes as the kid would have a similar system to my current one and easy to help her if anything happen. First time buying Acer as all my systems are DELL and know how to navigate them, ACER appears to be more complex

You still haven’t given me the MODEL NUMBER of the device….that’s three times that I’ve asked now 😊

Okay, the problem here is that you somehow refuse to follow the actual instructions given. Instead you mix it up with things you think that you already know. 
Nowhere was it suggested that you create an ei.cfg file and then to run the installation from WITHIN Windows. I haven’t seen JaiMaai’s guide, but I’m reasonably sure they haven’t suggested it. 

I follow your instructions it didn't work then went to jaimaai instructions they didn't work either, then follow microsoft instructions ithey didn't work either, I appreciate very much what you and the other members did trying to help, I really do I give up and will go back to the store and ask the tech to undo whatever he did, it's a 2 hour drive each way but can't deal with it anymore, thanksk a million

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

You still haven’t given me the MODEL NUMBER of the device….that’s three times that I’ve asked now 😊

sorry my mistake model is N22Q21 Acer Aspire Vero

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I follow your instructions it didn't work then went to jaimaai instructions they didn't work either, then follow microsoft instructions ithey didn't work either, I appreciate very much what you and the other members did trying to help, I really do I give up and will go back to the store and ask the tech to undo whatever he did, it's a 2 hour drive each way but can't deal with it anymore, thanksk a million

This is not true. You are not fully following the instructions. By the picture you posted, I can see that you did not. 
But it’s clear that you’ve had enough and it’s likely that because you are already tired, that you will repeat the same mistakes. 
Better to rest from it and look at it with fresh eyes another time. 
I can see what you are doing wrongly and I can understand; because you’ve gone into ‘information overload’. 
Take a rest from it today 🤗

21 minutes ago, NextG said:

This is not true. You are not fully following the instructions. By the picture you posted, I can see that you did not. 
But it’s clear that you’ve had enough and it’s likely that because you are already tired, that you will repeat the same mistakes. 
Better to rest from it and look at it with fresh eyes another time. 
I can see what you are doing wrongly and I can understand; because you’ve gone into ‘information overload’. 
Take a rest from it today 🤗

you could be right that's why I decided to stop and tomorrow will see what we wrote and maybe try one more time, but again my main goal would be to change Bios to AHCI and my frustrations would go away

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you could be right that's why I decided to stop and tomorrow will see what we wrote and maybe try one more time, but again my main goal would be to change Bios to AHCI and my frustrations would go away

Actually better to start afresh tomorrow, rather than to try to make sense of everything written here. It’s a mish-mash. You were trying to do too many things at the same time. 
Best to set one goal, achieve it and then move on to the next thing…. and no….”it didn’t work” without specific feedback. 
As soon as you actually posted a picture of what was happening, then I could understand why that solution didn’t work. 
So post when you are online tomorrow and if I’m around, we can stay on track until it is solved satisfactorily. 

Was is the reason to switch to AHCI?

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

The main problem is not being able to select the Win 10 Pro version, everytime I use the media creation tool it always sets the installation to win10 home single language, that's what I have been trying to explain, disk creation tool, download now update and/or upgrade it always defaults to the damn win10 home single language, that's why I got pissed and decided once and for all to format the drive and that may solve  the problem

I think there's an option in the media creation tool to select that you're making image for another computer, then allows you to choose whatever version you need... At least it used to work that way, admittedly I haven't downloaded Win10 in 2 years...

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

OK, now I get it. If you already have Windows, you can wipe it down to clean slate by choosing to reset Windows - that wipes all files and settings and keeps only OS. But that would be existing OS you have installed.

If you want to change version of OS, unless you wish to manipulate kernel with some PowerShell commands that were probably mentioned earlier, the "correct" way is to insert the USB stick with your Windows 10 Pro installer, reboot PC and boot from USB stick. There, choose NEW install. Choose disk and format it (or delete and recreate partitions), then you can choose whichever version you have software license for.

But you can NOT run the installer from inside already loaded Windows and choose a different version.

Edited by tomazbodner

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

When you come back to this, I’d like you to go back to the Command Prompt. But instead of just coming back later to say “it’s not working” instead to report back at each stage.  

Beginning with the GetTargetEditions command.
DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions

What is the response to that? Just copy and paste to prevent any mistakes. 
That is how it is done, step by step in so I can follow each step to know the next step to take. Instead, you are trying many different things and mixing up methodologies. 

So whichever path you take, post step by step feedback of what you are actually doing. 

9 hours ago, NextG said:

When you come back to this, I’d like you to go back to the Command Prompt. But instead of just coming back later to say “it’s not working” instead to report back at each stage.  

Beginning with the GetTargetEditions command.
DISM /online /Get-TargetEditions

What is the response to that? Just copy and paste to prevent any mistakes. 
That is how it is done, step by step in so I can follow each step to know the next step to take. Instead, you are trying many different things and mixing up methodologies. 

So whichever path you take, post step by step feedback of what you are actually doing. 

DISM/online /get-TargetEditions
DISM/online : The term 'DISM/online' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ DISM/online /get-TargetEditions
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (DISM/online:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

DISM/online /get-TargetEditions
DISM/online : The term 'DISM/online' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
+ DISM/online /get-TargetEditions
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (DISM/online:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

You are obviously doing something wrong

Why not a screenshot or your initial ‘cut and paste’

Just now, Mavideol said:

https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/
https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/ : The term
'https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
+ https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-f ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (https://getprod...o-pro-for-free/:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

1 minute ago, NextG said:

https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/
https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/ : The term
'https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-free/' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again.
+ https://getproductkey.net/how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-to-pro-for-f ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (https://getprod...o-pro-for-free/:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

the command was typed on the PowerShell  C:\users\name

it appears the problem could  and I mean could be due to the UEFI and not legacy Bios

Edited by Mavideol

Just now, Mavideol said:

the command was typed on the PowerShell  C:\users\name

Why is it that you always choose to do something different than instructed? That is confusing to me. The point of giving you a guide, is that I can troubleshoot it step by step. But you always choose to do it differently because you think you know a better way. PowerShell was not requested 

• Haha 1