Abhisit Urged To Contest For Return As Democrat Leader

webfact

image.jpeg

FORMER DEMOCRAT LEADER/FORMER prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has been encouraged to contest for a phenomenal return as leader of today’s second largest opposition party.

Former Democrat MP Thepthai Senapong posted on his Facebook page today (Dec.5) to recommend Abhisit vie for Democrat leader in an extraordinary partisan caucus scheduled for the upcoming Saturday.

Abhisit could eventually run as one of a trio of contenders for Democrat leader alongside former Palang Pracharath MP Watanya “Madam Deer” Bunnag, spouse of Nation Group chair Chai Bunnag, and former Democrat MP Narapat Kaewthong who is known to secure solid support from former Democrat secretary-general/now acting Democrat leader Chalermchai Sri-on and a dozen-plus Democrat MPs.

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

TOP: Former Democrat leader/former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.Top photo: Thai Rath, Front Page photo: Naewna

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2023-12-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

As someone who first visited Thailand in late 2011, I've never been able to work out what the Democrats are supposed to stand for (at least in theory as opposed to practice).

Can anyone enlighten me? or is that simply an impossible task?

As far as I know Abhisit was the best PM Thailand ever had.

But it seems the majority of Thais don't want an educated honest leader.

So what would be the point of him becoming leader of the DEMs?

And then there is obviously the problem that there are also a lot of incompetent corrupt politicians in the Democrat Party. What should he do? Throw them all out? Would they allow that to happen?

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

As someone who first visited Thailand in late 2011, I've never been able to work out what the Democrats are supposed to stand for (at least in theory as opposed to practice).

Can anyone enlighten me? or is that simply an impossible task?

Perhaps you could post a list of all the other parties and what they stand for.

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

He just isn't dirty enough to be in Thai politics.

....and you can't say that about many Geordies!  :smile:

I don't think Thailand/Thai politics is ready (or has room) for an Abhisit Vejjajiva at the moment. It is a shame because his  broader based approach makes him a valuable counsellor for younger Democrats.