Investigation ongoing in Prachuap Khiri Khan bus tragedy; Compensation for victims announced

webfact

image.jpeg

Deputy Minister of Transport, Mr. Surapong Piyachot, visited the scene of a catastrophic bus accident that happened in Prachuap Khiri Khan on Tuesday.

The incident, involving a Bangkok-Nathawi passenger bus colliding with a tree, occurred in Thap Sakae District, near Wanakorn National Park, and resulted in 14 deaths and 35 injuries.

The accident, which took place on December 5 around 1:00 AM along Phetkasem Road, has raised pressing questions about road safety and driver vigilance.

Although preliminary investigations indicate that the road conditions were adequate, with a straight path and good surface conditions, the exact cause of the driver losing control remains undetermined. Authorities are exploring various possibilities, including driver fatigue, as part of the investigation.

By Online Reporter

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2023-12-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

"Although preliminary investigations indicate that the road conditions were adequate, with a straight path and good surface conditions, the exact cause of the driver losing control remains undetermined. "

"Mr. Surapong Piyachot, Deputy Minister of Transport, .... ordered an in-depth investigation into the true cause of the accident, analyzing multiple dimensions and hypotheses, such as whether it was due to vehicle, road conditions, or the lack of warning signs near the large tree."

Is the Deputy Minister of Transport suggesting that all large trees off the road need to be fitted with warning signs? Or do they need to be strapped in place to stop them from jumping in front of buses? If that is the best he can do, perhaps suggesting that drivers stay on the road would be more appropriate.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Until oneself has experienced falling asleep while driving, it is difficult to imagine how this can happen. It can be instantaneous and if sufficiently exhausted, unavoidable. I, myself, fell victim to the inevitable by driving solo from Broken Hill to Newcastle via Cobar and Dubbo back in '63. Maybe a distance of 800 miles overnight which I thought was within my youthful invincibility. Steering a mini Cooper S whilst inverted was not a frequently practised skill but a very effective wake up mechanism. Drugs have the effect of raising awareness but unfortunately amplifying all the senses. For example the mere impact of a well nourished grasshopper on the windsceen will result in panic braking and totally unnecessary swerving all over the road endangering others as well as oneself. Rest periods and hydration is the answer if there is no relief driver available 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The accident, which took place on December 5 around 1:00 AM along Phetkasem Road, has raised pressing questions about road safety and driver vigilance.

Although preliminary investigations indicate that the road conditions were adequate, with a straight path and good surface conditions, the exact cause of the driver losing control remains undetermined. Authorities are exploring various possibilities, including driver fatigue, as part of the investigation.

Thailand has long since been plagued with road accidents.

Nothing changes, because nothing changes.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the road conditions were adequate, with a straight path and good surface conditions

Still too difficult for some Thai drivers to navigate. I live on a long straight road, and I've now lost count of the number of accidents there have been within 500 metres of me in the 10 yeas I've been living here. Certainly more than 20, involving death and amputations, long-term coma, 18-wheeler lorries overturning, even a car flying through the top of a tree.

Not mentioned here but stated in another report is the Minister's decision to revoke licences for this type of double-decker bus as they expire and confine bus construction to specific limits (where have I heard this before) such as rollover test. What next? Ban buses and trucks with more than 24 headlights arranged over the windshield? 😀

11 hours ago, webfact said:

14 deaths and 35 injuries.

OMG, I read earlier that there was a bus accident in Pattaya killing 24. 

Not true, just some strange guy posting fake news. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1313521-more-road-accidents-in-pattaya/

BTW, I took the bus from jomtien to Survarnabhumi last month, I was sat up front next to the front door, the driver was on his phone while driving. 

Something got to be done with these bus drivers. 

No wonder so many accidents. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 12/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, poyai111 said:

Until oneself has experienced falling asleep while driving, it is difficult to imagine how this can happen. It can be instantaneous and if sufficiently exhausted, unavoidable. I, myself, fell victim to the inevitable by driving solo from Broken Hill to Newcastle via Cobar and Dubbo back in '63. Maybe a distance of 800 miles overnight which I thought was within my youthful invincibility. Steering a mini Cooper S whilst inverted was not a frequently practised skill but a very effective wake up mechanism. Drugs have the effect of raising awareness but unfortunately amplifying all the senses. For example the mere impact of a well nourished grasshopper on the windsceen will result in panic braking and totally unnecessary swerving all over the road endangering others as well as oneself. Rest periods and hydration is the answer if there is no relief driver available 

it may be a good idea to fit out all commercial vehicles with the 2 hours driving - 15 minutes rest; no more than 12 hours driving a day recording/monitoring device.