Scam or Not?

Lee4Life

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I got an ATM card locked by an OZ bank, and that was at a hospital ATM, I rang them and explained NO I am not in Pattaya!/Chonburi as they thought I was, I'm in a TRAT hospital and need to pay them, they unlocked it. Tossers. OZ banks SUCK.

I agree mate, I was with the National bank, the Commonwealth bank,  and Bankwest among others until someone suggested Bendigo.  I have been with them now for over 25 years and have not one complaint in all that time.  Give them a go.

23 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

OP didn't write about a Thai ATM card, you're making things up.

Maybe not ,

Then she called her bank and they told her that her card had been locked and impounded due to a fraud alert and they would send her a new card that would arrive the next day. 

If that was/is true no way in the world would a Foreign card be there the next day.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So what do you do when you used your few hundred bucks of cash? How do you refill your wallet? With some form of plastic card interaction? 

Good point. I suppose the only worry free solution would be an implantable chip. However, if I were to wander around a city notorious for pickpockets and robbers, I’d leave my plastic in a hopefully safe location and just take cash with me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I agree mate, I was with the National bank, the Commonwealth bank,  and Bankwest among others until someone suggested Bendigo.  I have been with them now for over 25 years and have not one complaint in all that time.  Give them a go.

Nah the sooner I get my money here the better, they just don't understand people travel/live outside of OZ, ANZ. I can't change banks unless I go back which I have no intension of doing. Wonkers. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

you are certainly more understanding than me .....

as soon as she approached ...  I would have said  '  go away '  ..............   end of story 

I've been in Thailand long enough to know not to trust anyone, foreign or local. 

Like these people who approach and say ''Excuse me. Can I ask you a question?''. I immediately say ''No!'' and move on. They're trying to start a conversation which won't be in my interest.

Being a basically helpful if savvy person, someone who asks me a question straight up I'll answer if I can or say ''Don't know sorry''. 

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

As mentioned, saying a credit card was going to be rushed to her the next day is nonsense. I had a fraud alert and they had to issue a credit card. It took 8 days till I had the new card in my hands.

Also, Thailand has Western Union. She could be cashed up by people back home in an hour.

A lot of the women who do this are BPD. They do it for the thrill of the scam. The money is unimportant.

"You're not going to help me", is a ploy to put you on the spot and bring out any White Knight instinct you might have (why these misguided simp impulses within us all must be ferreted out and killed).

What means BPD?

On 12/7/2023 at 1:44 PM, Moonlover said:

The most obvious clue that clearly says that this was a scam was that she said the following:

That quite simply would not happen. If it was a Thai ATM card she would have to go to her bank branch and collect the card. If it was issued by a bank from abroad, they would only send it, if at all, to her registered address. Either way it would definitely not 'arrive the next day'.

Yes, this was, without doubt a scam attempt.

Good answer , I agree 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BusyB said:

Like these people who approach and say ''Excuse me. Can I ask you a question?''. I immediately say ''No!'' and move on. They're trying to start a conversation which won't be in my interest.

Being a basically helpful if savvy person, someone who asks me a question straight up I'll answer if I can or say ''Don't know sorry''. 

exactly,  times have changed ...  years ago, say in the 60's ... 70's and even 80's   if someone's car was broke down on your road to town you would stop and help and either get the car going or give them a lift to the garage ...  not anymore thanks to the thiefs and cheats of this world who changed all of that trust in humanity.    very sad that the scum have done that to good people.     imo

Edited by steven100

Generally: when it comes to money, be aware. This was a scam.

Even do shopping.

Had experience in 7/11 in Phuket, they returned from smaller bill. However I knew what i gave.

So made a fuzz and finally got back from what i handed over. They just tried. and even with more people at counter.

Ever since then, when I pay, I say out loud with what im paying and really check !