Banks refusing to send my money to UK??? FFS

1 minute ago, Sato said:

Did you do it physically ?

I have this option on my Bangkok Bank App too but when tried it I got the error message 'Falang no can do, you stupid you !'

Yeah, also have friends that sold their restaurant and transferred out 12m THB this year, another friend sold his hotel and transferred out 150m THB.

Perhaps its down to your visa? 

1 minute ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I'm only on the elite, perhaps there's restrictions on the types?

Or it is limited by Bangkok Bank.

I tried recently to add my FD Accounts to the mobile banking app.

They tried to do it (because it's possible) also with the help of the head office on phone but at the end the came to the conclusion that this is not possible for foreigners.

14 hours ago, liddelljohn said:
Asked my Thai banks to send about 440,000 baht to UK and they have flatly refused me ,, even though i have proof the money came in from abroad many times ,,,???? Im not well and this is making me furious ,, its to help my daughter ,, any ideas ????

Only last year i sent money to my brother in uk no problems ??

Other than taking it out in cash changing it to £ and carrying it back on a <deleted> plane what the <deleted> am I supposed to do ????

30 years and its getting barmier here ,, thats why i am slowly cutting my ties and assets here back to Europe , only thing I now enjoy in Thailand is my motorcycles and If I can get them and the rest of my stuff back to EU reasonably i would

Depends on the bank. For instance, UOB are hopeless compared to Kasikorn. Also all the banks are trying to push customers to use their mobile apps. So you get daft situations where you can send a transfer, no questions asked, via the app, but if you want to do this at a branch, they'll deluge you with 'must have this paper / must have that paper' nonsense.

Introduction this year of the facial verification for online transactions over 50K THB may however add a wrinkle to the app transfer process.

FWIW I tried to send THB 1 million to UK in Feb this year using the UOB app, because UOB told me the app didn't need all the paperwork ... the transfer then got blocked by them because they said source of funds wasn't clear and the amount was "too much" compared to my salary. I had a testy phone discussion with some stupid bank official who also insisted I had to show my work permit. I explained I have Thai ID, as their system shows, and asked her if she also had a work permit. 

I made the transfer request the day before I was flying to UK, so this was all taking place while I was at the airport here. Once I got on the plane I sent the money from UOB to Kasikorn, and then to UK via the Kasikorn app, all in 5 minutes with no questions asked. I also got an email from my bank in UK within another 5 mins to say funds had been received.

UOB kept spouting 'it's not us, it's BOT rules' which is patently false, because Kasikorn operate under the same rules. It also cost me THB 8,000 more, thanks to the exchange rate change between the two days.  

To the OP: Last year, I needed to transfer money to my brother in the US. The bank asked me if he has the same last name as I do. When I said yes, they processed the transfer without further question. Apparently Thais understand the concept of helping a family member in need, and the recipient having the same last name is a good indication of someone being a family member. I remember wondering at the time if I would have been able to send money to my sister, who has a different last name due to marriage.

In the case of the OP, is it possible that your brother has the same last name as you but your daughter doesn't - due to being married? If that is the case, then perhaps you could try sending the money to your brother and asking him to give it to your daughter? It's at least worth a try, I think.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sato said:

They tried to do it (because it's possible) also with the help of the head office on phone but at the end the came to the conclusion that this is not possible for foreigners.

It's limited to 2m or less without proof of funds coming into country, ie FET for property.

This is bkk bank i'm on about.

39 minutes ago, Sato said:

Nah, as i can do with Kasikorn, SCB, Bangkok Bank.

You should get a 'certificate' when bringing big monies in if you later intend to repatriate it, such as buying property, vehicles etc. Did this when buying house and there was no issue when repatriating funds. Without it, you could be stonewalled at the bank. But, yes, I've heard DeeMoney works well.

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Can send anywhere up to 2m THB value in app from SCB/BB Kasikorn etc.

Depends on the client.

Bangkok Bank allows up to 2 Million baht transfer on their banking app. But unless you go to the bank first to get your picture taken the app limits transfers to 200,000 a day.  However, can only make transfers on the app during banking hours :( Still, saves a trip to the bank.

11 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

They say it never came from abroad ,  which is bull<deleted>  its all on the computer statements when large transfers came into Thailand over the years , its weird  but they did  amalgamate with another bank last year and Im wondering if their systems dont show the foreign transfers from 3 or 4 years ago

im going to see them face to face ,, , im not going to use ripoff WU

I've always said, don't buy property here, don't keep investments here, don't keep money here. Just only take what you need to live on here from your overseas account.

The other option is carry cash or just use the debit card your bank gave you overseas and take the cash from the ATM. It's only 440k baht, not that much really.

• Agree 1

Dee Money looks less hassle but its rate is much worse than the banks for transfers I would lose almost 11,000 baht , seems a rip off ???

If i cant get the banks to sort it out on monday I will close the accounts ,,,,  One of the banks is SCB  held for 30 years  have had millions of baht through it  money in from UK  dozens of times , Im going to talk with them if I can get out of bed 

The other Bank is UOB which was Citibank  they amalgamated   last year and I often used Citi to make offshore payments , UOB supposed to be seamless but now they cant see the old  data  which shows all my incoming funds ???? so they wont do the transfer ??  spoke with them on Phone ,, the data is in Citibanks records  ????

In 30 years I have never had a paper cert for incoming foreign transactions ,, and I have never met anyone who has ,, the banks usually look at the account records and can see the history of all the funds .

51 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

In 30 years I have never had a paper cert for incoming foreign transactions

With SCB I only get them if I ask for it.

The last couple of years I have had SCB forex dept. send it to me by email when they ring up to agree the transfer into baht. That way I know I have my own record.

In my Kbank and Krungsri I was able online to add my account from back home and transfer out, though I think for Kbank I had to fill a PDF document before it would get added as an option.

Also my wife was able to send money to my foreign account without hassle from her account.

15 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

They say it never came from abroad ,  which is bull<deleted>  its all on the computer statements when large transfers came into Thailand over the years , its weird  but they did  amalgamate with another bank last year and Im wondering if their systems dont show the foreign transfers from 3 or 4 years ago

im going to see them face to face ,, , im not going to use ripoff WU

if teh amaalgamation you're referring is is for the 2 banks beginning with a T, then since the merger they have become increasingly incompetent. Earlier this year it took them 2 hours to do a bank guarantee letter for Immigration, so I'm not surprised about them refusing an international transfer if it is the amalgamated bank.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

The other Bank is UOB which was Citibank  they amalgamated   last year and I often used Citi to make offshore payments , UOB supposed to be seamless but now they cant see the old  data  which shows all my incoming funds ???? so they wont do the transfer ??  spoke with them on Phone ,, the data is in Citibanks records  ????

Citibank hasn't yet shifted accounts to UOB. I recently received a notice that UOB will take over Citibank accounts in the second quarter of 2024.

You may want to call Citibank and see what they can do for you.

• Like 1

CITI  shifted by them already and my Citibank account closed  in january this year , It was all done by CITI and UOB automatically  so now I have  no contact point for  CITI   only UOB

Edited by liddelljohn

Last year, in Phuket, I went to transfer <100,000 THB from my SCB acct to my Amerikan bank acct. My records show a deposit from overseas every month for the last 6 years, over 70 deposits from my social security.

I had to fill-out a form asking for their frigging permission!!

2 days later, they denied it. 

• Sad 1