Train Tickets BKK to CM

factseeker

What do you mean by they are not offering train tickets at the moment? When are you trying to book for? If it's the new year period, 100% guaranteed they're sold out. Also make sure when you're doing a search that your starting station is Krung Thep Aphiwat, which is the main terminus in Bangkok now. 

Would recommend booking directly as well. 

https://dticket.railway.co.th/DTicketPublicWeb/home/Home

• Thanks 1

Yes, it seems that it's just a matter of no seats being available during the busy holiday season. I just checked 12go for a random date in February, and train tickets are available on that website then.

I only discovered 12go recently on a trip to Uzbekistan. What a great way to book train (and other) tickets, especially in the less transparent countries!

18 hours ago, lordblackader said:

What do you mean by they are not offering train tickets at the moment? When are you trying to book for? If it's the new year period, 100% guaranteed they're sold out. Also make sure when you're doing a search that your starting station is Krung Thep Aphiwat, which is the main terminus in Bangkok now. 

Would recommend booking directly as well. 

https://dticket.railway.co.th/DTicketPublicWeb/home/Home

Hi Lord Adder,

Thnxs for reply - with your link I just managed to get a couple of Upper berths on Jan 1- they were going like Hotcakes  after the site refused 2 of my cards (why ?will never know as both Thai Banks) thought it was 'blown' but finally success.

Each time a refusal had to go around the entire loop  - finally at least same carriage - not together - but better than an overnight Coach after an overngiht flight.

With Hualamphong and 12GO just over the road - plus Shower at station - perfect - but at least Krung Thep appears directly on trains from Suvanrbhunmi with only one change.   Hey Ho.

So once again my thnxs & best rgds

You are right Hank - sold out!

On 12/10/2023 at 4:54 AM, factseeker said:

Been away 3 years now - first trip back. Always purchased train tickets in advance with 12GO - pickup when  I got to Bangkok. Seems they are not offering train tickets at moment. Want to buy in advance can anyone advise please.  

Best Rgds to All

Take a flight. Affordable as well. 🧑‍🎄

• Agree 1

Overnight trains used to be quite fun. Social places , everyone would have a few drinks, play some music and games etc. but now they are boring dry affairs. And not that cheap, they run at night so you don’t see much . Would love to see a proper restaurant car added to the trains, that might tempt me back. Unfortunately Thailand is lagging behind many of its regional peers when it comes to trains. Stick to the plane

• Agree 1

On 12/12/2023 at 2:50 AM, Scouse123 said:

Who, but the most adventurous or mentally challenged, would want a train journey like that after a long international flight.

Hi Scouse,

I take your point - as I spent over 40 years in IT - start 1960s - Software / Programming - built successful Software House over 10+ years - sold out - now in 80s - wander the world - so if you permit - I will lump for 'most adventurous ' 

Have a good Christmas one and all.  - ;0)).

Edited by factseeker
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2023 at 3:16 AM, Bungle00 said:

Overnight trains used to be quite fun. Social places , everyone would have a few drinks, play some music and games etc. but now they are boring dry affairs. And not that cheap, they run at night so you don’t see much . Would love to see a proper restaurant car added to the trains, that might tempt me back. Unfortunately Thailand is lagging behind many of its regional peers when it comes to trains. Stick to the plane

Hi Bungl00,

Giving Hainan Air a try this time - via Peking.

Saw flights from Don Mueang -  anyone know best way to get from Suvernabhumi- Don Mueang ?

Never did before always dirext from Suvernabhumi.

Rgds

On 12/12/2023 at 10:16 AM, Bungle00 said:

Overnight trains used to be quite fun. Social places , everyone would have a few drinks, play some music and games etc. but now they are boring dry affairs.

I had some really fun overnight train rides with a good friend in the early noughties.

There weren't many tourists on the trains when we went so it was usually just us in the dining car as soon as it opened and we'd get on the beers and have some dinner before the "party" started. So we got to see the "real" fun at 10pm or so when the crew would dim the lights, turn on the disco ball and crank up the Thai music for a couple of hours.

Then a few years later we went on another trip and the train was full of tourists and at 10pm or so they flooded the dining car and took over the place. They must have read about it in the Lonely Planet. They changed the music from Thai to Western and just killed the vibe.

Then there was that incident that led to the booze ban and party time was really over. I did a dry trip from Trang to Bangkok with my friend and his brother and it was kind of boring.

So I'll probably never do another overnight train ride again in Thailand. However my friend and his brother love trains, they'd marry a train if they could 😅

I think they're batsh1t crazy but if they enjoy that type of then then hey, have at it. I hope the OP has as much fun as my crazy friends 😉

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, Lemsta69 said:

I had some really fun overnight train rides with a good friend in the early noughties.

There weren't many tourists on the trains when we went so it was usually just us in the dining car as soon as it opened and we'd get on the beers and have some dinner before the "party" started. So we got to see the "real" fun at 10pm or so when the crew would dim the lights, turn on the disco ball and crank up the Thai music for a couple of hours.

Then a few years later we went on another trip and the train was full of tourists and at 10pm or so they flooded the dining car and took over the place. They must have read about it in the Lonely Planet. They changed the music from Thai to Western and just killed the vibe.

Then there was that incident that led to the booze ban and party time was really over. I did a dry trip from Trang to Bangkok with my friend and his brother and it was kind of boring.

So I'll probably never do another overnight train ride again in Thailand. However my friend and his brother love trains, they'd marry a train if they could 😅

I think they're batsh1t crazy but if they enjoy that type of then then hey, have at it. I hope the OP has as much fun as my crazy friends 😉

Ref   'Then there was that incident that led to the booze ban'   - what was that?  First I was aware was when they lifted the single Can of beer I had ready to take onboard - that was at Platform entry - you could see they were delighted - a Free Beer.

3 hours ago, factseeker said:

Ref   'Then there was that incident that led to the booze ban'   - what was that?  First I was aware was when they lifted the single Can of beer I had ready to take onboard - that was at Platform entry - you could see they were delighted - a Free Beer.

July 2014 apparently, just before I got back for a five week holiday in Nov/Dec.

There was a nasty incident on board one of the trains and the knee-jerk reaction was to ban booze and for whatever reason it's never been rescinded 😥

https://aseannow.com/topic/741167-alcohol-sale-and-drink-will-be-banned-on-all-trains-in-thailand/

Thailand's overnight rail system is decades behind the rest of the world.

I mean,  who would even think of wanting a 10 hour trip on this with no restaurant car, no bar services,  no nothing,   just smelly, noisy, uncomfortable and packed with thais. :ohmy:    I think flying is in order ..... 

image.png.0ecd4aea277f6a30a2ea36db03cebecf.png

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I mean,  who would even think of wanting a 10 hour trip on this with no restaurant car, no bar services,  no nothing,   just smelly, noisy, uncomfortable and packed with thais. :ohmy:    I think flying is in order ..... 

Did that in April 2023 from Bangkok Noi to Wang Po. Hot as hell and took most of the day from door-to-door but it was a heap of fun and I look forward to doing it again soon, although maybe not in the hottest part of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

Did that in April 2023 from Bangkok Noi to Wang Po. Hot as hell and took most of the day from door-to-door but it was a heap of fun and I look forward to doing it again soon, although maybe not in the hottest part of the year.

yes ....  if it was air-conditioned,  comfortable, with restaurant cars, bar services and modern amenities,  folks might just consider it but not in it's current state.   

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  if it was air-conditioned,  comfortable, with restaurant cars, bar services and modern amenities,  folks might just consider it but not in it's current state.   

yes I think you've already made it clear that you are a massive wuss 😹

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 11:45 PM, steven100 said:

Hi You pick worst possible example - we have a nice meal before deperture and just sleep overnight - wake up and with we are in Chiang Mai.

Used the example you give and would never do so again - but that is the very worst of possibilities.

Cheers - have a good Christmas.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, Lemsta69 said:

July 2014 apparently, just before I got back for a five week holiday in Nov/Dec.

There was a nasty incident on board one of the trains and the knee-jerk reaction was to ban booze and for whatever reason it's never been rescinded 😥

https://aseannow.com/topic/741167-alcohol-sale-and-drink-will-be-banned-on-all-trains-in-thailand/

Good grief - what a disaster.   

Thnxs for reply - have a good Christmas.

1 hour ago, factseeker said:
On 12/20/2023 at 6:45 AM, steven100 said:

Hi You pick worst possible example - we have a nice meal before deperture and just sleep overnight - wake up and with we are in Chiang Mai.

Used the example you give and would never do so again - but that is the very worst of possibilities.

Expand  

please explain or are u just another false Thai lover

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, factseeker said:
On 12/20/2023 at 6:45 AM, steven100 said:

Cheers ... and have a good xmas also. 

On 12/22/2023 at 12:04 AM, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

Godspeed you get outta communist China.  The best way Suwanna-Don Mueang is the train, aka skytrain / metro / urban rail system.

HI, 

Yes the thought did occur - thnxs for best wishes..   All best this Christmas and for New Year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, steven100 said:

if it was air-conditioned,  comfortable, with restaurant cars, bar services and modern amenities,  folks might just consider it but not in it's current state.

In 2008 I rode the day train BKK-Sisaket in Isaan.  It was slow but fine, and part of the overall Thailand experience at that time for me. Jovial atmosphere onboard. There was food service and you could buy beer. You could stand outside between the cars and smoke a cigarette. The world was more relaxed even a scant 15 yrs ago. A lot of the fun has been sucked out of so many things these days. Perhaps Thailand could update and improve its train infrastructure, but it shouldn't be trying to sanitize the whole country. It's not Singapore, never will be, and travelers don't come to Thailand expecting it to be. Therein's the charm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/26/2023 at 1:10 AM, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

In 2008 I rode the day train BKK-Sisaket in Isaan.  It was slow but fine, and part of the overall Thailand experience at that time for me. Jovial atmosphere onboard. There was food service and you could buy beer. You could stand outside between the cars and smoke a cigarette. The world was more relaxed even a scant 15 yrs ago. A lot of the fun has been sucked out of so many things these days. Perhaps Thailand could update and improve its train infrastructure, but it shouldn't be trying to sanitize the whole country. It's not Singapore, never will be, and travelers don't come to Thailand expecting it to be. Therein's the charm.

Hi Woke,

Arrived  Chiang Mai - all well apart jet lag - just ref your 'world was more relaxed even a scant 15 yrs ago. A lot of the fun has been sucked out of so many things these days'  - absolutely - pleased others 'feel' it - was worried  just getting 'grouchy' with passing years.

Can recommend  'Haisan Air' - quality service -  transfer at PEK was a bit of a shambles.

Happy New etc.

Edited by factseeker
  • Thumbs Up 1