Alcohol sale and drink will be banned on all trains in Thailand

webfact

I predicted the response of some posters thinking not getting a beer on a train because of a rape/death of a 13 year old girl that they were the real victims.

Edited by iphad
  • Like 1

Darn prices for both food and drink on Thai trains has always been too expensive anyway, just a scam. In the past when I rode the train, I would pay but then the "waiter" would never come back with the change.

• Like 2

Read past the headline, several actions are proposed: ban alcohol sales, scrutinize employee backgrounds and a consideration to female only carriages - get over the headline.

Yes, a multi-angled approach to protecting women and children is needed.

Attacks on the vulnerable, atrocious. What is this, Sydney?

• Like 1

I predicted the response of some posters thinking not getting a beer on a train because of a rape/death of a 13 year old girl that they were the real victims.

If the trajedy was in any way connected to beer sales on trains the reaction would be understandable. The real victims are the people that live under a reactionary, predictably stupid govt. understand now?

which reactionary,predictably stupid government?..Thai in general or the Military now in power?

"Passengers can bring their alcoholic drinks on board but if they are seen drinking on board they will be invited to get off the trains, he added."

Not too difficult to sneak into a bathroom and down a drink. Of course this doesn't address if someone has consumed alcohol or has ingested yabba before coming on board.

This appears to be a CYA move of closing the barn door after the cows have escaped wai2.gif wai2.gif wai2.gif

• Like 1

Great news, I was tired of trying to sleep with all the backpackers drinking, drunk and loud. The train staff tries to put them in the bathroom area to drink and smoke late at night but some won't go. Now I fly.

• Like 2

If the trajedy was in any way connected to beer sales on trains the reaction would be understandable. The real victims are the people that live under a reactionary, predictably stupid govt. understand now?

which reactionary,predictably stupid government?..Thai in general or the Military now in power?

I don't believe we're allowed to answer that under the present circumstances.

• Like 2

failing to see the point. one would assume that employees were already required to remain sober while working.

Perhaps a review of SRT's employment policies would be more in order than this knee jerk reaction.

Segregation seems like an excellent idea though. very forward thinking indeed.

personally i cant see how anyone could tolerate the train sober

And "a railway employee who took drug and drank on board." drugs aren't allowed anyway.

This will be bad news for quite a few obnoxious backpackers ;-)

And a few locals too.

I was worried about an off duty, armed and drunk as hell trouble making policeman once on an over-night train.

• Like 1

Whoever allowed a 13 year old girl to travel unaccompanied in Thailand must be mentally challenged. Poor kid. A law not allowing minors to travel alone - period - would be more appropriate. And a complete overhaul of staff background checks might help ... but in a country where the implementation of law and the lack of resolved cases means "employees" may not even have a record. Certainly though a check would have revealed this guy.

Perhaps a special unit within RTP could be set up for all employers to contact for criminal records, if they wish, for background checks. I am sure many companies do not as I for one, would have no idea who to ask..... so yes, my staff also go unchecked.