The Problem With EVs

josephbloggs

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The tires are not equivalent. 

I think the MG tires are wider and taller, so the tire rotates fewer times over the same distance, and the load per unit area on the tire is lower.

Any number of other things impact tire wear including but not limited to temperature and road surface. 

IME bigger tires usually cost more.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Do they ? ... or more of your hypothetical situations.  Many variables, due to different cars, different tires and driver's habits.  Would think any heavier vehicle would wear out faster, if all things being equal.

Plenty of ICEVs the same or heavier than some EVs.  Already posted somewhere on AN.

Maybe purchase better tires, as you would with any vehicle.  Just a thought.

You didn't mention how brakes might last longer, due to regen system.  Or no cost of oil changes, tune ups, transmission servicing, or exhaust system issues/replacements with EVs.

Have a nice day.

But, but… but…

6 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

OMG !!

Theres some dipshhite on YouTube that gets money from dumbarsses by saying that I bought the wrong car 😢😢

OMG!!! There's a poster on ASEAN that believes ad hominem argument trumps facts and experience. I suppose I should not be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

As compared to your T model Ford ?

The tires on a T-model Ford probably cost considerably more nowadays than a modern day tire, perhaps that did not occur to you before making a daft comparison.

I'm guessing buyer's remorse will only set in with you after you have had an accident, or try to offload your EV.

Drive carefully, it's high season on Thai roads for the idiots, and it's irrelevant what you are piloting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

The subject is the problem with EV's. How is comparing the cost of tires required changing the subject?

You're right, sorry. Yes, the tires for the particular EV in the study were bigger than the tires for your Vios, and bigger tires sometimes cost more than do smaller tires. 

That the larger tires (apparently) go further, and you wrongly claimed it was against the laws of physics for that to be possible is of no concern. 

Again, I'm wrong and you're right. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't own an EV.

Don't feel left out.  You're not an Early Adopter but your posts are near as nasty as those of the Early Adopters.  A little more arrogance and I'm sure they'll let you join.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think I understand the pros and cons of EVs vs ICEVs pretty well.

Just speaking economically, for anyone that does not need a new car, buying a new EV would make no sense for the vast majority of people. 

For people that need a new car, it might make sense if you have a dedicated parking area configured such that you can charge it at night. Bump that up to probably is you have a decent solar farm and can charge during the day or have storage such that you can charge at night. 

For people that need a new car but have no dedicated parking where they can charge, it likely makes little sense. 

Of course, the best reason to buy a new car, is because you want a new car. And the best car to buy, is the one you like the best of the ones you can easily afford. 

I agree with all of that. Home charging is a must, it makes absolutely no sense without that. Also doesn't make sense if you regularly need to drive very long distances.

I will get an EV as my next car as it makes perfect sense for my needs - I have a house that could have a charger installed, I mostly drive in Bangkok with the occasional trip out of town.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I agree with all of that. Home charging is a must, it makes absolutely no sense without that. Also doesn't make sense if you regularly need to drive very long distances.

I will get an EV as my next car as it makes perfect sense for my needs - I have a house that could have a charger installed, I mostly drive in Bangkok with the occasional trip out of town.

I've been thinking of getting one as well to run around BKK in. I'd keep the 'tuna for the boy to drive and for long trips or extended family outings. I don't know that I would buy one as an only car. 

So far, I like the look of the Teslas best in the sub B2M category. Saw one in a matte mint wrap with a few grey accents, it was nice. 

Maybe the Motor Show in April...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I have some what ifs for you, in the same order as yours.

1. What if your engine fails?
2. What if you have a collision that causes your car to be scrapped?
3. Flooding. What if you get caught in a huge flood that wrecks your engine?
4. What if your ICE manufacturer goes bankrupt? Chevrolet have gone from Thailand, Saab disappeared, MG went (then came back as a successful Chinese brand), Holden have gone, Triumph, many many others. 

And some extra ones:

5. What if you are filling up and the petrol station catches fire and explodes? Dozens have been killed in this way: 

6. What if your engine seizes up as you didn't top up the oil and you skid off the road in to a ditch and drown?
7.  What happens if your exhaust malfunctions and you get carbon monoxide poising and die?

Who knew, making up ridiculous scenarios can be fun!! Shall we carry on?

I can think of a real life scenario (not motor related though) that is not ridiculous and has happened many times before and many people have paid the ultimate price. 

What if the plane crashes? That’s why I now avoid flying unless totally unavoidable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I just today completed a 840 km journey from CM to Isaan. In a PHEV that has a smallish 34 kWh battery, only 120 kms were propelled by petrol. Journey time was probably about an hour or two longer than if I had relied totally on the ICE but would have cost me significantly more in petrol vs charging. The longer breaks were in fact very welcome, especially by my dogs and I would go as far as to say that it made for a safer journey as I was “forced “ to rest more.

Main thing is that I wasn’t in a rush so for those super high achievers among us for whom time is money and every second counts, drive an ICEV instead. One thing to note though; not all Bangchak stations are 24/7 so make sure you don’t arrive at one with only vapours lol.

Why is the PHEV an hour or two slower ?

17 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

This is because I was stopping longer to charge the battery and as we all know, it takes longer to charge the battery as compared to fill and go with petrol. Even with just a pure ICEV, I would have had stop for meals, toilet breaks for us and our dogs in any case but the stops were just a bit longer. 

I should note that this is only possible in a Haval H6 for 2 reasons. First is that the Haval PHEV can accept DC charging speeds up to 47 kWh; most other PHEVs can only accept AC charging. Second reason is that the range is about 160-180 kms per full charge whilst most other PHEVs will only have a range of about 50-60 kms.

How much 34Kwh battery pack lasted on highway speeds? I assume you drove 110-120 kmh where applicable.

On 12/10/2023 at 2:22 PM, josephbloggs said:

Range anxiety is real. I don't own an EV but I borrowed one for three days for a road trip. I was constantly wondering if the readout was accurate, but actually it was amazingly accurate. (You enter your destination and it tells you how much battery/range you will have when you arrive and also how much you would have left if you chose to drive straight back.). It was a Volvo, not a Tesla, I don't know anything about them exaggerating - what my car showed was accurate. However it all depends on driving style and other factors, just like you never seem to get the mpg advertised. It's on the buyer and how you drive.

If you are contantly doing long journeys, or can't charge at home, then an EV is probably not for you. If you read the article you will see the stats - in the UK 99% of car journeys are less than 100 miles.

No it isn't at all, that is just not true. Have you heard of BYD?  I will likely be switching to a BYD Seal on my next purchase - top of the range performance model - and it will be the cheapest car I have bought for myself for about 20 years.

Partly true. However when I drove an EV I used PlugShare and was surprised by the density of charging stations in Thailand. If you are not looking for them you don't notice them. Definitely not a concern in Thailand right now although it remains to be seen if the infrastructure keeps up with sales (which are going through the roof).

That remains to be seen. Imagine you keep a car for ten years and your battery has degraded by 20% - it still has value. And in ten years time batteries will likely be much much cheaper than they are now.

A question for you: did you read any of the articles before posting? They cover most of your "concerns" backed up by data.

I am sure some of the EV owners on here (as mentioned, I am not one of them) will chime in with real world experience.

If EV's are so good please tell me why major manufacturers, Toyota, GM for example, are going away from making them? If you like them fine but evidently the majority of drivers dont like them.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, muratremix said:

How much 34Kwh battery pack lasted on highway speeds? I assume you drove 110-120 kmh where applicable.

I drove at lower speeds than that, as I was driving at night and through some hilly areas, along Hwy 12 and we are in what they call 7 deadly days or something like that. I was probably getting around 170 km per full charge. I consider myself a very economical driver, slow steady acceleration off the lights, coasting wherever applicable (such as coming up to traffic lights and thus regenerating the battery), generally just maintaining as constant a speed as possible. 

Another way to eke out as much mileage as possible is to work with the terrain. So for example, on a downhill stretch, I will increase my speed while using as little power as possible and on the subsequent uphill climb, I allow the momentum to bring me as high as possible, all the while with the speed reducing. Basic idea is to use as little power as possible while keeping up forward momentum at safe speeds. Non EV drivers will probably laugh and scoff at such tactics but this actually works for ICEVs as well and most of all, keeps driving fun and reduces boredom and fatigue. 

I have been driving this way for years, ever since I first owned a Prius hybrid and came across hypermiling. That is however a bit too boring and dangerous in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If EV's are so good please tell me why major manufacturers, Toyota, GM for example, are going away from making them? If you like them fine but evidently the majority of drivers dont like them.

Evidently people who try them love them, that's why global sales are growing year on year at a huge rate. The US is seeing a slowdown in growth but the US has never embraced these kind of things or things like modern train travel. Norway now has about 84% EV market share but then it has always been more forward looking.

GM announced a split on the co-development project with Honda, but Honda and GM are committed to an electric future, just not together, and mainly due to problems with GM's unions.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/honda-shelves-plan-co-develop-smaller-evs-with-gm-bloomberg-news-2023-10-25/#:~:text="After extensive studies and analysis,only electrified vehicles by 2040.

Toyota sat on their hands for so long (as did Honda) that they have a lot of catching up to do. They are putting a lot of their eggs in  alternate technologies in the hope there'll be a breakthrough that will give them an edge in the future, but meanwhile they are committed to EVs, expecting to sell 3.5m of them by 2030.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/g38986745/car-brands-going-electric/

I really don't know where you get your information from (actually I can have a good guess). Why not try one yourself? A test drive is free. Getting back in an ICEV afterwards feel like your gone back in time a few decades, more so if you are climbing back in to a diesel.

And before you come back with it, I'll get there first: EVs are not suitable for everyone. You need to have home charging. And if you need to drive several hundred kms at a time on a regular basis then an EV is not suitable for you. But for most of us they are worth looking at. I was a sceptic until someone let me try one for a period of time.

• Thanks 1