Khao Soi Maisai Restaurant?

FolkGuitar

Have you eaten at Khao Soi Maisai in Santitham? Always huge crowds (virtually all tourists) outside at lunchtime.

I've been told that it's now earned a Michelin star rating.

I ate there once, a few years ago, but never went back for various reasons.

Have you eaten there twice?

Same. Only once, long time gone. Far from where we live(d), even back then. We did go to the the Khao Soi cafes on Fa Ham - Charoen Rat rd. Nowdays, we do not make special trips for Khaosoi, just have it when we run into it. Likely due to 'oldfartitus'.

• Like 1

Been 4 times in the last year. Very good. A must for visitors . Try the beef Khao Soi. Get there at 11:30 AM and there is no line.

Khao Soi Nimman another good 'un. It's gets dissed on Youtube for having air conditioning and hanging ferns.

Ging Grai on Soi 11 off Nimman Road is my fave Thai restaurant in CM; we order in at least once a week. Solid Khao Soi.

The absolute best Khao soi I've had to date is the vegan version at Good Souls in The Old City. I was sceptical, but that broth is perfect. 'Don't even miss the chicken (tofu and mushrooms instead).

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Been 4 times in the last year. Very good. A must for visitors . Try the beef Khao Soi. Get there at 11:30 AM and there is no line.

Khao Soi Nimman another good 'un. It's gets dissed on Youtube for having air conditioning and hanging ferns.

Ging Grai on Soi 11 off Nimman Road is my fave Thai restaurant in CM; we order in at least once a week. Solid Khao Soi.

The absolute best Khao soi I've had to date is the vegan version at Good Souls in The Old City. I was sceptical, but that broth is perfect. 'Don't even miss the chicken (tofu and mushrooms instead).

I've had Khao Soi in 6 CM restaurants, 2 Bangkok restaurants, 1 Phuket restaurant, 1 in KK, 1 in Udon. The difference between the best and worst was maybe 25%. It seems like a really basic dish. 

Agreed, it's down to:

-spice level (I like it medium)

-sweetness (minimal)

-spice (I like a dash of 5 spice powder in with the cinnamon)

There's a place down by the old night market where the gimmick is that they pour the coconut milk into the chicken stock at the table. I think it adds about 10% flavor-wise, but that may be down to placebo effect 

I suspected the much-hyped Islam Kao Soi was getting good reviews just to bend over backwards to like something muslim. True: subpar crispy noodles, and just too sweet.

In the old city, around the corner from Wat Yu (and not far from NOOM N. Thai Cuisine) is an old temple restaurant with an original and beautfifully patina'd old wood interior. Vegan Khao Soi with shredded tofu that almost passes for chicken. 40 baht from the steam table (they're done by 2 PM). Google for Ming Kwan Vegetarian. There is no English language sign.

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I get an excellent Khao Soi every week or 2.  Hopefully will never be a viral YT review made of the shop.  Half the YT'er just follow Mark Wein's channel and repeat the same for 'their 'hidden' gems'.

I have to admit... Mark Wein's reporting did get us to some of the most delicious meals.

His recommendation for Moo Krub in Chiang Mai can't be beaten anywhere! 

Did he actually compliment Khao Soi Maisai?!?  How odd!

10 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I have to admit... Mark Wein's reporting did get us to some of the most delicious meals.

His recommendation for Moo Krub in Chiang Mai can't be beaten anywhere! 

Did he actually compliment Khao Soi Maisai?!?  How odd!

I used to follow him on YT, and was hit & miss with his recommendations.  More miss than hit.  One thing I hated about his vids, he'd add a sh!tload of chili flakes to whatever he was eating, before he even tasted it.

His review @ 20:10 of vid, and actually tasted it before adding chilies 

Edited by KhunLA

I've eaten there at least 20 times. Both the Chicken (50 Baht)  and the Beef Khao Soi (55 Baht) are good and the Beef Guay Tiew (50Baht) is good as well. Not as busy if you go early around 8:30 AM or after the lunch hour rush after 2:30 PM, though sometimes they sell out of dishes in the late afternoon.