Access To This Temple Viewpoint

Basso53

I see this mountaintop structure quite often on my photographic outings in the Ban Thi district of Lamphun. I understand it could be known as the Doi Thon or Doi Ngom Viewpoint and sits on the border of CM and Lamphun. I would like to access it if possible to experience the views and take some photos. Would anyone have some information on this site and if it has a driveable access. Many thanks if you can post some info. I have attached a photo to know what I'm seeing.

_DSC0155-topaz-denoise-enhance-2x-sharpen.jpeg

_DSC0153-SharpenAI-Standard.jpg

• Like 1

This isn’t what you are looking for but maybe of interest if you fancy a drive out.

Char Hom, Witchit Nakhon:

Access by car up to a certain point then taken up further by modified pickup and quite a healthy hike with some rickety old stairs to finish off.

IMG_2122.thumb.jpeg.70cf5666dee4e40d637c608f857b2049.jpeg

IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.2dcb1043fd3cda3463f19056680e3bf5.jpeg

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.8a21cee811c71f5f46dd91755fa2cb07.jpeg

IMG_2125.thumb.jpeg.8cd8ebc2b97987ddc0cbe8d5c5b07f29.jpeg

IMG_2126.thumb.jpeg.75e9c81ae76ad7110882ecb4d8c92946.jpeg

IMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.90803b6ca7c8974611e639f8a96963b4.jpeg

IMG_2128.thumb.jpeg.96945cb42582cfb2d181b865b9158368.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Basso,

You can drive up there. Road is hand pored concrete. I've seen sedans up there but I would only do it with a 4x4 since the last part is steep. I've been up a couple of times with my scooter and dirt bike. Nice ride and beautiful views.

I've also hiked the doi. There are at least 5 ways to reach it by foot. If you want to make pictures go by foot!

Google will not guide you to the top but if you put 18.6703708, 99.1838176 in your GPS you will be at the start of the road that leads to the doi.

PM me if you need more info.

R'tje

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rsteeltje said:

Hi Basso,

You can drive up there. Road is hand pored concrete. I've seen sedans up there but I would only do it with a 4x4 since the last part is steep. I've been up a couple of times with my scooter and dirt bike. Nice ride and beautiful views.

I've also hiked the doi. There are at least 5 ways to reach it by foot. If you want to make pictures go by foot!

Google will not guide you to the top but if you put 18.6703708, 99.1838176 in your GPS you will be at the start of the road that leads to the doi.

PM me if you need more info.

R'tje

Many thanks for the information. I have been looking for an access road which I felt would start from the road behind the Royal Alpine Golf Course (a road I often use). To this day I haven't been able to find the start..but great to know that a hand poured concrete road to the site exists. I did start driving one road yesterday but that led onto a gravel rutted track some 300 metres in so pulled out of that one.

I would love to be many years younger to hike the trail but I'm not;  I also have my old dog who is needs some monitoring due to his health so if I'm going to do it, it will be in my front wheel drive Honda HRV.

Cheers

Brian.

4 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Visited Chae Hom. Great drive/climb. I drove up part way by my stomach told me The road was too steep and narrow and so, back down and left the driving to the songtaw. Then the hike to the top. One Thai lady asked my Thai Wife how old I was … disbelief that I was 74 at the time. At 76 and having heart issues, just glad that climb is checked off the “bucket list”.

Edited by Wrwest
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, Basso53 said:

Many thanks for the information. I have been looking for an access road which I felt would start from the road behind the Royal Alpine Golf Course (a road I often use). To this day I haven't been able to find the start..but great to know that a hand poured concrete road to the site exists. I did start driving one road yesterday but that led onto a gravel rutted track some 300 metres in so pulled out of that one.

I would love to be many years younger to hike the trail but I'm not;  I also have my old dog who is needs some monitoring due to his health so if I'm going to do it, it will be in my front wheel drive Honda HRV.

Cheers

Brian.

Hi Brian,

From the bridge over the canal to the bottom of the doi is dirt. So I think you were on the right way when you turned back. It's about one km of dirt, easily to be done with your car. Then the concrete starts.

Sometimes at the top there are many soi dogs. They make a lot of noise but are OK especially if you bring some snacks. Just warn your dog that he will have company.

My Monkey made it up alright.

R'tje

Monkey.jpg

• Thanks 1