Taiwan seeking answers over hit and run death in Bangkok

snoop1130

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Talking of charges, A friend is getting an affidavit to marry from the Brit Embassy. Fifty pounds for the letter, and twenty five pounds to certify his passport. Daylight robbery.

Wow... seventy-five quid.

Can your friend even afford to get married?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 2baht said:

Disgraceful behavior, xenophobia at it worst, this should be international news, word will certainly spread from Taiwain! This is yet another incident involving Taiwanese....they won't forget this and the 24,000 baht vape extortion (of a well known actress). Spin this TAT!

not even in the xenophobic ball park......someone made a financial decision. Nothing more. If you want to dress it up as something else that's your choice.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

They must have learned from the British Embassy. Cocktail parties and and a good hand at golf appears to be the norm. Talking of charges, A friend is getting an affidavit to marry from the Brit Embassy. Fifty pounds for the letter, and twenty five pounds to certify his passport. Daylight robbery. I had my passport certified in our local town hall.....20 Baht to print the copy, and 15 Baht to notarise it. A letter of consent for my Son's passport 120 Baht and 10 Baht for the stamp. Sorry a little off topic, but as you say, it is good to see some Embassies care.

Canadian embassy just charges £30 for affidavit. Passport is pricey but mine is done in 5 days.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Fills me with confidence. If a similar incident happened to me I now know that, as a foreigner, I might be refused treatment.

Staff there allegedly refused to admit Chen, despite his severe injuries, because he was a foreigner.

Hang your AXA insurance card around your neck in a gold case. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Personal question, but is English not your first language?

You sound desperately like a person who is trying to hide the fact that his native tongue is not that of the Kings English.

Which part of Thailand are you from?

Rookies, Bob! Little or no idea!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Possible charges loom for hospital following death of Taiwanese tourist

image.png

The Health Service Support Department will propose tomorrow, that Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew file charges against a private hospital for refusing emergency treatment to a seriously injured Taiwanese tourist, who died during transfer to another hospital.

The department’s director general, Dr Sura Wisetsak, said today that he will submit the findings of an investigation into the hospital’s conduct. He visited the hospital in question today, to find out whether it had violated the provisions of the Medical Facilities Act B.E. 2541 (1998).

According to the law, a hospital must provide medical treatment to an emergency patient until he or she is out of danger, in line with the professional capabilities and the type of facility. Violators of the law are subject to two years imprisonment and/or a fine of 40,000 baht.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-12-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 years and/or 40k baht for causing a man to die due to their lack of treatment. Seems petty amount for a life

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe they should add that charge of damaging Thailand's image to the 400k fine and the 2yrs in nick.  And IMO A Doctor should also be charged with manslaughter.

I read elsewhere that a nurse was the night supervisor.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it doesn't, the first 72 hours of treatment is reimbursed by the government to the hospital, so no risk.  If they're penniless, the patient can be moved elsewhere for more economic treatment subsequently. 

I didn't know that, that gives me a bit of security when I am on my motorbike. I have always hated the thought of being in an accident and being refused any treatment. Does that apply to both private and government hospitals?

May I point out that I always had first class insurance on my motorbike but it was stopped after the bike was 6 years old, it is hard to get insurance on an eight year old bike, but I have applied again and am just waiting for approval.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I believe that even in LOS hospitals are not legally allowed to deny injured or critically sick people admission and service including both Thai & Farang but Thailand has this very biased attitude, especially towards Farang which I personally experienced! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Some flaming posts, baiting posts, off topic posts and the replies contravening our Forum Rules have been removed:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

• Thumbs Up 2