Thailand’s tourism authority plans strategy revamp to boost visitor spending

webfact

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Not in the main areas, Bangkok, Pattaya and even Phuket, I am pretty sure the Malaysians made up the numbers anywhere near the border. 

Malaysians, Lao, Burmese, and hey even Vietnamese. Just because they're "Asian" doesn't mean they actually stay in the country (for more than a day) nor does it mean they spend (much) money. Whereas if they're western you can be sure they'll be staying (and spending) longer.

Just now, Mike Lister said:

Yes I agree that Malaysians have long been the number one visitors. I also suspect that anecdotal evidence of what one person sees is very unreliable since most people can't always distinguish between nationals from a large range of countries in Asia, Malaysia. Japan, China etc.

Japanese have certainly been coming here a long time, used to see the business men a lot, chucking their expense accounts about in the GGBs. 

• Like 1

TAT really gives the impression of being fools who only think about money.
Thailand would do better NOT to prevent people from expressing what they think on social media.
Even if it's a Chinese girl at Nana Plaza. Let people say what they want!
Being perceived as a country that suppresses freedom of expression has a devastating effect on foreign tourists, and this carries more weight than all the pathetic promotional campaigns that TAT tries to come up with.

And simplify the rules for expats and retirees. Make it easy and welcoming for long-term residents to apply for permanent residency and citizenship. Moronic bureaucrats. You should be on your knees to welcome them.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, CDG931 said:

TAT really gives the impression of being fools who only think about money.
Thailand would do better NOT to prevent people from expressing what they think on social media.
Even if it's a Chinese girl at Nana Plaza. Let people say what they want!
Being perceived as a country that suppresses freedom of expression has a devastating effect on foreign tourists, and this carries more weight than all the pathetic promotional campaigns that TAT tries to come up with.

And simplify the rules for expats and retirees. Make it easy and welcoming for long-term residents to apply for permanent residency and citizenship. Moronic bureaucrats. You should be on your knees to welcome them.

You appear not to understand what TAT stands for or what it is, TAT doesn't have responsibility for any of the things you mention in your post! TAT is the Tourist Authority of Thailand, it is a marketing function so yes, TAT only thinks about tourist numbers that create revenue, that's their job. It does not prevent people from expressing their views, neither does it get involved in freedom of expression issues. It also does not set the rules for expats and retirees, permanent residency and citizenship.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

You appear not to understand what TAT stands for or what it is, TAT doesn't have responsibility for any of the things you mention in your post! TAT is the Tourist Authority of Thailand, it is a marketing function so yes, TAT only thinks about tourist numbers that create revenue, that's their job. It does not prevent people from expressing their views, neither does it get involved in freedom of expression issues. It also does not set the rules for expats and retirees, permanent residency and citizenship.

My second paragraph starts with Thailand, not TAT.

• Like 1

How about taking care of us guys that are here year round spending a ton each every year.  This scheme of taxing our money coming in (if it comes to fruition) is really going to backfire at a time when they need all the income they can get.  Would be interesting to see how much year round expats contribute vs tourism in money.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

How about taking care of us guys that are here year round spending a ton each every year.  This scheme of taxing our money coming in (if it comes to fruition) is really going to backfire at a time when they need all the income they can get.  Would be interesting to see how much year round expats contribute vs tourism in money.

Because I expect we a minor in the scheme of things......preference is given to those who arrive, toss all their money into a basket, and then leave. 

16 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

The average tourist spend is between 42,000 and 50,000 Baht per visit and the average stay is 9 days. That means tourists spend between 140,000 and 167,000 Baht per month. Resident expats are very unlikely to spend anywhere near that amount on average.

• Confused 2

On 12/15/2023 at 9:51 AM, GypsyT said:

During Covid we got 45 days. It was working so well Vietnam adopted it and is still in use. It brings many new tourists to Vietnam who stay longer and spend more.

Why was Thailand stupid to go back to 30 days?

Not supported by the arrival figures, Vietnam is running at exactly the same rate relative to Thailand this year as it was back in 2019 - 45%, which suggests to me they face similar problems such as reduced Chinese travel, higher cost of travel and general worsening global economic factors. 

• Agree 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:49 AM, jacko45k said:

Japanese have certainly been coming here a long time, used to see the business men a lot, chucking their expense accounts about in the GGBs. 

Japan is an interesting one to me as the decline in their arrival numbers this year are probably the worst with the exception of China, yet we've heard very little about it from the authorities which is surprising given its relative importance. In 2019 it was the 6th largest market with 1.8m arrivals, this year to October it had dropped to 12th with a mere 0.6m. Not surprised to see the PM on a trip out there banging the trade drum.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

The average tourist spend is between 42,000 and 50,000 Baht per visit and the average stay is 9 days. That means tourists spend between 140,000 and 167,000 Baht per month. Resident expats are very unlikely to spend anywhere near that amount on average.

Hmm,

Not sure where the data came from and if the per visit amount is just high season numbers or an average over the year but let's work with that.

For us,

[(140,000 + $167,000)/2]/35 = $4,386/mo or $52,632/yr USD for a tourist.  Some of us spend quite a bit more than that given we have families and private schooling for multiple children.  I can see where the average retiree may not hit that number especially if in a 10,000 baht/mo condo and no kids.

Housing(rent) and util alone for a family of 5 here in CM is about $1,600/mo or $19,200/yr for not a fancy house.  Then you have private schooling for 3 kids at about $23,000/yr. Just those two things and your now at $42,200/yr and have not factored in any food, entertainment, vacations, health insurance, etc... and you can see that we easily exceed the $52.6k number.  I understand that we probably represent a minor subset of the total expat community but not sure how minor given the large number of expat families here in CM with kids in international schools.

Any other positive inputs on this is welcome.

Hope all well with everyone.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Hmm,

Not sure where the data came from and if the per visit amount is just high season numbers or an average over the year but let's work with that.

For us,

[(140,000 + $167,000)/2]/35 = $4,386/mo or $52,632/yr USD for a tourist.  Some of us spend quite a bit more than that given we have families and private schooling for multiple children.  I can see where the average retiree may not hit that number especially if in a 10,000 baht/mo condo and no kids.

Housing(rent) and util alone for a family of 5 here in CM is about $1,600/mo or $19,200/yr for not a fancy house.  Then you have private schooling for 3 kids at about $23,000/yr. Just those two things and your now at $42,200/yr and have not factored in any food, entertainment, vacations, health insurance, etc... and you can see that we easily exceed the $52.6k number.  I understand that we probably represent a minor subset of the total expat community but not sure how minor given the large number of expat families here in CM with kids in international schools.

Any other positive inputs on this is welcome.

Hope all well with everyone.

Maybe you can relate to USD but this is Thailand and the figures I used are in THB.

My numbers are from the web, very easily found if you try.

The spend per month is the average of ALL tourists throughout the ENTIRE year.